Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact noise from neighbours converted attic

• 27-09-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

I live in an end of terrace house and terraced house attached to me has the attic converted to a bedroom (would have been like that before i bought my house). Unfortunately for me the impact noise from any movement in this converted attic travels down into both the upstairs and downstairs of my house.

Addressing the issue on the neighbours side is not an option (rented house).

Any options to address this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There is a lot that can be done. What is the state of the party wall in the attic. Does it look solid and free from gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Thanks for the reply. I have most of attic floored and have put up some shelving against the wall on the problem side so a bit akward to get a view of the wall.

I have attached some photos from an area not covered by the above beside the chinmey. From what I can see the wall looks to be covered ok. Do you mean behind the boards in this photo?

I was reading about decoupling joists but I wouldnt have a clue about this stuff to be honest.

Thanks for the reply. I have most of attic floored and have put up some shelving against the wall on the problem side so a bit akward to get a view of the wall.

I have attached some photos from an area not covered by the above beside the chinmey. From what I can see the wall looks to be covered ok. Do you mean behind the boards in this photo?

I was reading about decoupling joists but I wouldnt have a clue about this stuff to be honest.

Do you know the make of the party wall? It looks drywall to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You might have to lift your floor and lay
    Acoustic mineral wool

After laying the acoustic mineral wool, fit an 18mm - 22mm chipboard floor as a sub floor, followed by a 5mm barrier mat to the sub floor of the loft, you may have to build another wall

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/sound_proofing_in_the_home.htm

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    You might have to lift your floor and lay
    Acoustic mineral wool

After laying the acoustic mineral wool, fit an 18mm - 22mm chipboard floor as a sub floor, followed by a 5mm barrier mat to the sub floor of the loft, you may have to build another wall

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/sound_proofing_in_the_home.htm

The noise is from neighbours so I think decoupling the ceiling would be a bigger priority than barrier mats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement