Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skim ceiling

• 27-09-2020 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can you reskim a brand new ceiling with lights and spots already fitted ? I had Electricans working inside my house recently and they butchered my ceiling with numerous holes and big cuts through the skimmed plasterboards trying to locate wires. There will be good bit of patching up afterwards which im not over happy with.

I am thinking of requesting the ceiling to be reskimmed . is that's possible?

Opinions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

They just hang the lights down cover in plastic

It's not a big deal for right person to skim ceiling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

teednab-el wrote: »
    Hi

Can you reskim a brand new ceiling with lights and spots already fitted ? I had Electricans working inside my house recently and they butchered my ceiling with numerous holes and big cuts through the skimmed plasterboards trying to locate wires. There will be good bit of patching up afterwards which im not over happy with.

I am thinking of requesting the ceiling to be reskimmed instead of a patch up job offered by the builder. is that's possible?

Opinions?

Simple job.

although, you or the trades should have known a re-skim or patch up was required when you got them to price. Patch up is fine once sanded and the whole ceiling painted so it may cost you extra to reskim the whole ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SC024

Hi

I am thinking of requesting the ceiling to be reskimmed instead of a patch up job offered by the builder. is that's possible?

Opinions?

fill in the cuts / holes with plasterboard, drop the spotlights & wrap in plastic bags or similar& thistle bond the whole ceiling the day/evening before its skimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

SC024 wrote: »
    fill in the cuts / holes with plasterboard, drop the spotlights & wrap in plastic bags or similar& thistle bond the whole ceiling the day/evening before its skimmed.

Should a ceiling in a brand new house built be allowed to be just patched up with filler by the builder and not reskim?

This in my opinion would be fine for old ceiling but for a new built i wouldnt be happy with this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SC024

Should a ceiling in a brand new house built be allowed to be just patched up with filler by the builder and not reskim?

This in my opinion would be fine for old ceiling but for a new built i wouldnt be happy with this process.

what I have said is for a reskimming the whole ceiling

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    what I have said is for a reskimming the whole ceiling

Thats spot on and i know exactly what you were saying.

Any pics of the damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Gumbo wrote: »
    Any pics of the damage?

I had to redo mine recently. Used plenty of PVA as the old plaster will suck the moisture out of the reskim. You could also thistle bond it before hand but it’s expensive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Why were electricians cutting holes in a new ceiling, did they make mistakes in lights placement

Any pics of the damage?

I can pm you if you wish.

• Advertisement

Why were electricians cutting holes in a new ceiling, did they make mistakes in lights placement

Looks like it to be honest. I guess they didn't know what they were doing full stop. Would people accept a patched job or ask for it to be skimmed again?

Any reason to why a patched job could be a problem? Im no expert but I would personally be worried filler might crack or bubble down the line on the ceiling and i would have no comeback after builder would have finished. Or that the signs of patching up on the ceiling surface would appear again after painting etc as there were 4-5 large holes around the same surface area.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Looks like it to be honest. I guess they didn't know what they were doing full stop. Would people accept a patch up job or demand it to be reskimmed? Any reason to why a patched job could be a problem?

If its that bad I'd definitely get them to reskim, no excuse for that sort of work, you could understand a couple of small holes as mistakes happen, as mentioned above thistle bondit is the best adhesive for a reskim, you'll likely see patches when it's all painted if theres enough of them

Looks like it to be honest. I guess they didn't know what they were doing full stop. Would people accept a patched job or ask for it to be skimmed again?

Any reason to why a patched job could be a problem? Im no expert but I would personally be worried filler might crack or bubble down the line on the ceiling and i would have no comeback after builder would have finished. Or that the signs of patching up on the ceiling surface would appear again after painting etc as there were 4-5 large holes around the same surface area.

Large holes won’t be filled. They’d be locally skimmed.
    Are you sure you using the correct terms here, filler is for small cracks and nail pops or similar.

Large holes will be battened, new piece of plasterboard and locally skimmed. Sanded and painted to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh would need to see the damage. I can't see it being as bad as described and localised patch should be perfectly fine.

Large holes won’t be filled. They’d be locally skimmed.
    Are you sure you using the correct terms here, filler is for small cracks and nail pops or similar.

Large holes will be battened, new piece of plasterboard and locally skimmed. Sanded and painted to match.

The holes were battened and new piece of plasterboard fitted and filled and sanded and painted.

Have I any worries with this finish even though i can still see the patches?

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh would need to see the damage. I can't see it being as bad as described and localised patch should be perfectly fine.

Is there a guarantee it would never be seen afterwards even if sanded and painted well?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there a guarantee it would never be seen afterwards even if sanded and painted well?

How can someone on the internet guarantee someone else's workmanship....

listermint wrote: »
    How can someone on the internet guarantee someone else's workmanship....

Apologies I didnt mean guarantee.

Just concerned with patch up term in the first case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have patched loads of butchering after sparks. if done right it wont be seen . make sure that it is all flat and it will lookfine. any high or low spots will reflect light diferently and be seen.

i have patched loads of butchering after sparks. if done right it wont be seen . make sure that it is all flat and it will lookfine. any high or low spots will reflect light diferently and be seen.

I have pendants and spots near the affected area. That was another concern i had on how it would /could look under different lighting conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I have pendants and spots near the affected area. That was another concern i had on how it would /could look under different lighting conditions.

down lighters wont cause issues unless its a horrific job but you would see that either way.

pendants can show up issues with certain shades, especially if they are close to the ceiling and let light out sideways

once its filled and feathered out good and far and in light layers so it doesnt need much sanding it will be fine. a wide filler knife is great. mine is 500-600mm long and great for smaller patches. im going to get a 1200 speed skim for larger butchering

The holes were battened and new piece of plasterboard fitted and filled and sanded and painted.

Have I any worries with this finish even though i can still see the patches?

Needs another coat of brilliant white paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Needs another coat of brilliant white paint.

Personally i wait and see how it looks after painting. Get it painted when your other main jobs are finished in house. If it shows up after a few coats of the required paint then certainly get the builders back to put it right. You will have time to see this before the snaglist is done. If it doesn't look right at that stage then i wouldn't hesitate to get them back to put right. It should be fine after paint but make sure it is.

Advertisement