Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler/Alarm on lighting circuit

• 22-09-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Was going through fuse board to work out which fuses apply to which sockets/lights etc in secondhand house and found 1st floor lights also connect in to the gas boiler in an extension previous owner added. The alarm company also used the same circuit to power alarm panel.

As this is a lighting circuit it has a 10A breaker like the other lighting circuits.
    Its not causing any problems - ie everything works, but is this something I should get an electrician to fix ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

idc wrote: »
    Was going through fuse board to work out which fuses apply to which sockets/lights etc in secondhand house and found 1st floor lights also connect in to the gas boiler in an extension previous owner added.

Not ideal but not that big a deal. Do you mean fuses or MCBs? If fuses the installation may be very old and may require a serious upgrade.
    The alarm company also used the same circuit to power alarm panel.

Most alarm installers are not qualified electricians so they should not work on a distribution board. I would be concerned about this. The electrical load from an intruder alarm is minuscule though.
    As this is a lighting circuit it has a 10A breaker like the other lighting circuits.
    Its not causing any problems - ie everything works, but is this something I should get an electrician to fix ?

I would certainly get the wiring looked at but having all of these on the same circuit is not not necessarily a big deal in my opinion. But you are right, it would be best if they were split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

idc wrote: »
    Was going through fuse board to work out which fuses apply to which sockets/lights etc in secondhand house and found 1st floor lights also connect in to the gas boiler in an extension previous owner added. The alarm company also used the same circuit to power alarm panel.

It’s common enough to come across this type of installation on older houses as this was a regular way of wiring.
    In newer institutions rcd protection is a requirement (specifically for the circulation pump) so its best practice to provide a dedicated circuit with rcbo protection.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    In newer institutions rcd protection is a requirement (specifically for the circulation pump) so its best practice to provide a dedicated circuit with rcbo protection.

This is true, but it is important to note that new rules can not be enforced retrospectively.

Advertisement