Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You learn something new everyday.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Trump paid $750 USD in taxes the year he became President.

Winnipeg has snow on the ground 36% of the year! 132 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

iamstop wrote: »
    Trump paid $750 USD in taxes the year he became President.

I learned that you probably shouldn't believe everything that you read in the new york times in an election year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I learned that i'm absolutely the dogs bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've learned that the world record for a motorised wheelie bin is 43mph, big shout out to Andy Jennings from Essex who's fiancee thinks he's nuts for some reason.

Some other lad did nearly 67mph in his wheelchair but it doesn't seem nearly as impressive as a wheelie bin doing 43.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/motorised-wheelie-bin-and-fastest-wheelchair-set-new-world-records-1019334.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

I heard to old saying "Red sky at night - shepherd's delight, red sky in the morning - shepherd's warning" eons ago when I was a young nipper.
    I was cycling to work this morn and saw a red sky so I decided to look up to see was there any science behind it.
    Turns out there is!
    A red sky appears when there is dust particles trapped in the air by high pressure. This dust scatters the shorter blue wave length and leaves the red.

"A red sky at sunset means high pressure is moving in from the west, so therefore the next day will usually be dry and pleasant. "Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning" means a red sky appears due to the high-pressure weather system having already moved east meaning the good weather has passed, most likely making way for a wet and windy low-pressure system."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/how-weather-works/red-sky-at-night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There was another old saying "The sky is red, the devil is dead, no school tomorrow".

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Rain before seven, fine before eleven. I think it’s reasonable true because a front tends to take about 4 hours to run through. Mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When Eddie Chacon - from soul duo Charles & Eddie, who had a hit with “Would I Lie To You” in 1992 - was 12 years old, he was the singer in a band with bassist Cliff Burton from Metallica and drummer Mike Bordin from Faith No More!

Fry%20By%20Night_1.jpg

Someone in work mentioned the word moonlighting which got me thinking of the 80s TV show. I was under 10 y/o old at the time but remember being attracted to Cybill Shepard. She was in her 40s at the time.

Anyway, today I learned Cybill was named using a name blend that referred to her grandfather Cy and her father Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Someone in work mentioned the word moonlighting which got me thinking of the 80s TV show. I was under 10 y/o old at the time but remember being attracted to Cybill Shepard. She was in her 40s at the time.

Anyway, today I learned Cybill was named using a name blend that referred to her grandfather Cy and her father Bill.

Good thing her father wasn't named Nick or Borg (a Norwegian boy's name).

I think she looks stunning in black and white shots. Or should I say monochrome in these enlightened days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I learned that you probably shouldn't believe everything that you read in the new york times in an election year.
    New york times is one of the most honest papers in the world

https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlinschoolofcreativeleadership/2017/02/01/10-journalism-brands-where-you-will-find-real-facts-rather-than-alternative-facts/

One of my Facebook contacts in the US posted about the hospital he works in being subjected to randsomware.

A quick google search and it appears about 400 hospitals are having their computers locked out unless they fork over a lot of bitcoin!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/28/21482304/ransomware-outage-hospital-chain-cybersecurity

I'm learning to be a little (I mean a very little) bit considerate when dealing with assholes

So I found out that Machete, the character played by Danny Trejo, actually debuted in the movie Spy Kids!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete_(character)

3 Character biography
    3.1 Spy Kids
    3.2 Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams
    3.3 Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over
    3.4 Machete
    3.5 Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
    3.6 Machete Kills
    3.7 Snickers: The Brady Bunch
    3.8 Spy Kids: Mission Critical

Canonicity
    Trejo stated regarding the Machete films' relation to the Spy Kids movies that it's "what Uncle Machete does when he’s not taking care of the kids".[9]

I never knew, Eddie Van Halen was born in Amsterdam, until today..

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i learned if you vote sein fein
    the other 2 parties will join up to keep them out of power

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I never knew, Eddie Van Halen was born in Amsterdam, until today..

RIP
    Was about to say the same thing!

Eddie was a Dutch man, never knew.

When you see his full name (Edward Lodewijk Van Halen) it all makes sense. He could have played for Ajax with that name.

I learnt that covid is not going to fu¢k off anytime soon

• Advertisement

I learnt that a politician under pressure can't give a straight fu©king answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I learned if you look at Leo Varadkar upside down it kind of looks like Danny DeVito.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I learned the Spanish Flu pandemic was H1N1 and it happened in several waves over the course of 26 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i learned if you vote sein fein
    the other 2 parties will join up to keep them out of power

You're a bit slow on the uptake there.

Valresnick wrote: »
    I learned if you look at Leo Varadkar upside down it kind of looks like Danny DeVito.
    Have you ever seen Batman Returns, where DeVito's Penguin comes up from the sewers and seeks power in Gotham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

KungPao wrote: »
    Have you ever seen Batman Returns, where DeVito's Penguin comes up from the sewers and seeks power in Gotham?

No

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Mendelsohn33

No

It's 50-50 at this stage.
    I mean I am very buttblasted and sore about orange trump being president.
    I was a moderator on a political discussion board in 2015 2016 and I bet all my eggs on hillary
    Now nobody respects my opinion on political matters
    So ya
    I will ban anybody
    Co's I was wrong.

I need to buy some trump butt salve cream because I was so wrong
    And every body sees it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

To say Spice Girls in a Scottish accent you have to say Space Ghettos in an American accent. :)
    If you say Michael Caine's name in his accent you're also claiming ownership of narcotics.

No
    Does every question require an answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I've learned ( kinda already knew ) a squirming politician will always renege their integrity to appease public criticism.

Advertisement