Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Venue help needed - Wicklow area

• 12-09-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I have recently gotten engaged and I am looking for venues in the Wicklow region for July 2022. Guest approx. 150. A lot of guest will be travelling from the West / South of Ireland.

Places of interest:

1) Tinakilly Country House - fab venue. What is the food like there? Is it worth the price?

2) Druids Glen - nice venue, but grounds only OK for drinks reception.Anyone any experiences of a wedding here? What is the food like? I am concerned that the bar in the ballroom is quite small?

3) Brooklodge, Macreddin - TBH I used to love Brooklodge years ago. I feel it has really gone downhill. I know the setting is nice, but anyone who I know that has been to a wedding here has had many issues with the place such as poor service, drinks not being served to non-residents etc.? Anyone any experience of a recent wedding there? I know it was once good but places change.

4) Powerscourt House + Gardens?

5) Marlfield house?

6) Rathsallagh - I have a few issues with this place even though everyone raves about it. Prices change drastically depending on day of the week and month of the year. As I want to go in peak season on a Friday or Saturday this is somewhat annoying. Rathsallagh has gone very common and I would hate to think that one of my friends got it for thousands cheaper than me on a Thursday in March etc. I know this will be similar for most venues, but I find Rathsallagh price differences are the worst. Also, lack of accommodation?

*I have ruled out places like Ballybeg, Trudder Lodge, Clonwilliam etc. as there are no rooms for guests to stay. I know they are nice venues, but I want guests to have the option to stay, especially as many will be travelling from a far!

Avon Ri, Tulfarris, Glenview etc. all ruled out too!

Anyone with experience or advice of recent weddings in the Wicklow region, please let me know, I'd really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’ve only been to Tinakilly but I loved it. I don’t explicitly remember the food as it was 3 years ago now, but I think it was probably excellent because I’d remember poor food more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Don't go near Rathsallagh. Have a look on TripAdvisor, they've an excuse for every poor review.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sineadmur

Hi thanks for your feedback. I went with Tinakilly in the end, it was by far the nicest venue out of those I listed above. While it is quite expensive I think it is well worth it.

Yes I saw those reviews on Rathsallagh, did not like the response of the owners at all, which did turn me off. Rathsallagh is a nice venue, but the recption hall is small and the function room/marquee cheap looking (which clashes with the rest of the house). I would be weary of Rathsallagh. My sister was at a wedding there and was told to leave while she was eating her breakfast as they were getting ready for the next wedding! I have heard that from a few people - seems to be like a conveyor belt of weddings there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rosealvina

Some couples choose to nail down the exact date when they'd like to wed and then find venues that can accommodate that particular day. Other couples with more flexible timelines look for venues first and then choose their date on their selected venue's availability. Generally, you should plan to book your wedding reception site at least a year to nine months before your date. That means you should probably start researching and touring a month or two before that. Best of luck with your wedding ceremony!

Advertisement