Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona clutch slipping

• 04-09-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭

Didn’t want to put this in the brake failure thread.

We have a manual Kona 181 petrol 1L with 17k on clock and every so often on it feels like it is clutch slipping. As you try to move off, especially when turning, you get this chugging (light feel) almost like wheels spinning which is what I originally thought it was but my wife drives like Miss Daisy and she got the same today pulling off from lights. Google tells me nothing but searching for Kia issues brings up loads of issues like that and they are shared gearboxes.

Any Kona owners or mechanics here that have seen this. Had a software issue previously on service interval counter. She has decided that because we didn’t have a single issue worth mentioning on our 07 avensis previous to this for over 10 years that it may be time to give the Kona a shove.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pmoylan

Had a similar issue on a 07 Mazda 3, rear main seal was leaking onto the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ask a back street mechanic to test drive it. They will know for sure. Everything besides normal clutch wear should be still covered by warranty. As its clutch I would get independant opinion before dealer blames you and does not cover under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Do hyundai still make their clutches out of chocolate?

I know they replaced a lot of them under warranty on models from a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Did you buy this new or used?

If used, it may have been an ex rental car with multiple drivers abusing the clutch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Hyundai kia use cvt
    Transmissions

I had a rental ford and it was 6 months old car that failed

Kia transmissions are slow to change so car engine races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Did you buy this new or used?

If used, it may have been an ex rental car with multiple drivers abusing the clutch.

Bought new. Wife drives it. Never had issues like this on any other car so it’s not her technique. Doesn’t happen always but has happened to me also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Hyundai kia use cvt
    Transmissions

I had a rental ford and it was 6 months old car that failed

Kia transmissions are slow to change so car engine races

Could have sworn they sold manual cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chrismk

Hello. Did you ever figure out what this was? My Kona experiences something similar, most notably when Im in traffic and the engine is warm. Car judders as I pull away, no matter what I do. Had the car from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

This kept happening to us and we felt it was actually the clutch slipping. We also had it from new. And yes when I think about it, it never happened coming out of the driveway but when the car was warm. It was a town car only and had very small mileage. We had a avensis for 10 years before that and never had any clutch issues so it’s not driving style. We sold it on for a Toyota CHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

• Advertisement
Advertisement