Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Cordell

silverharp wrote: »

So, if a woman feels unsafe about a man using the women toilet, tough luck you cisgender oppressor, his right to feel safe trumps hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Take that up with the Romans who created the c language.

It's just superfluous nonsense.

Here we have a car, here we have a modified car. There's really no need to point out that the first one hasn't been modified - you just assume it hasn't, and you will practically always be correct.

If you're selling your house, you'd probably point out that you added a conservatory, or an extension or made a major change of some description, but when's the last time you seen an add for an unextended house without a conservatory?

If you assume that a person is the gender they were born, you will literally be right almost every time. I'm 46 and i have never personally met a trans person - there is quite frankly zero need for me to prefix every person i have known as non trans. You only need point out the exceptions not the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

BBC Today program replaces 'fishermen' with 'fisherpeople'

It's behind a paywall but its the usual bolloxogy :D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/16/do-not-adjust-herring-bbc-today-programme-replaces-fishermen/

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

Cordell wrote: »
    So, if a woman feels unsafe about a man using the women toilet, tough luck you cisgender oppressor, his right to feel safe trumps hers.
    Apparently female Asian employees of Credit Suisse who complained that they did not want to share the female toilets with trans person Pippa Bunce were told they were free to use the disabled toilets. Pippa comes to work as a woman for half the week and for the rest of the week as Philip.

Pippa has won awards for being a female hero and a top female business person.
    I bet Pippa's payslip reflects Philips wages 100% of the time.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6197705/City-workers-hit-gender-fluid-banker-works-days-Philip-Pippa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,012 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's just superfluous nonsense.

Here we have a car, here we have a modified car. There's really no need to point out that the first one hasn't been modified - you just assume it hasn't, and you will practically always be correct.

If you're selling your house, you'd probably point out that you added a conservatory, or an extension or made a major change of some description, but when's the last time you seen an add for an unextended house without a conservatory?

If you assume that a person is the gender they were born, you will literally be right almost every time. I'm 46 and i have never personally met a trans person - there is quite frankly zero need for me to prefix every person i have known as non trans. You only need point out the exceptions not the rule!

Aagin - I didn't make up the word or the usage! Lots of wrods in vaious langauges could be deemed "superfluous" - doesn't mean that they don;t get used from time to time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

It's behind a paywall but its the usual bolloxogy :D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/16/do-not-adjust-herring-bbc-today-programme-replaces-fishermen/

And we say a sad farewell to the classic Julian Clary gag about sucking a Fisherman’s Friend.

Aagin - I didn't make up the word or the usage! Lots of wrods in vaious langauges could be deemed "superfluous" - doesn't mean that they don;t get used from time to time.

My apologies your highness!:p

I didn't mean to direct that at you, it was more of a scatter gun, directionless rant!

The from time to time thing is perfect, if for some reason it's deemed necessary to point out that this persons gender aligns with their birth state, well then by all means point that out, but you don't need to do it all the time. It's just crazy to insist on using words which are in effect meaningless 99.99% of the time.

For example i seen a photo on reddit a while back of a pair of melanistic tigers, beautiful beasts so they were. But they are very rare - there is simply no need for people to start refering to tigers as melanistic and non melanistic - it's perfectly safe to assume that if someone says tiger, they mean the non melanistic variety and if you are talking about the tiny percentage who are different to the others then you need to prefix that for clarity.

Surely that's glaringly obvious to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

My apologies your highness!:p

I didn't mean to direct that at you, it was more of a scatter gun, directionless rant!

The from time to time thing is perfect, if for some reason it's deemed necessary to point out that this persons gender aligns with their birth state, well then by all means point that out, but you don't need to do it all the time. It's just crazy to insist on using words which are in effect meaningless 99.99% of the time.

For example i seen a photo on reddit a while back of a pair of melanistic tigers, beautiful beasts so they were. But they are very rare - there is simply no need for people to start refering to tigers as melanistic and non melanistic - it's perfectly safe to assume that if someone says tiger, they mean the non melanistic variety and if you are talking about the tiny percentage who are different to the others then you need to prefix that for clarity.

Surely that's glaringly obvious to everyone?

The purpose behind the introduction of "cis" into modern English is not it's requirement as a descriptor for those it is used to describe, it is to legitimise the falsehood that "trans" and "cis" are equal subsets of male and female.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The purpose behind the introduction of "cis" into modern English is not it's requirement as a descriptor for those it is used to describe, it is to legitimise the falsehood that "trans" and "cis" are equal subsets of male and female.

Would that I could thank this a thousand times!!!

You're probably right. Makes no real sense for any other reason.

My view is quite simply this - you can not be turned into a man or a woman, any more than you can be turned into a horse or a pigeon! I absolutely accept that some people can be born the "wrong" body and i have no problem whatsoever with them doing whatever they can to address that and live the way they want to live. But to say that actually they are the exact same as a man or woman born in the correct body is just factually inaccurate - there's no wiggle room there. It's unfortunate for them, but it's reality and reality doesn't just go away because you don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In other words: “Women, ignore your instincts!”.

The notice mentions people feeling safe. Why are all and every safety fear cited by transgender people taken completely seriously whilst women’s safety fears are dismissed as irrational or hysterical? It’s so hypocritical. Can we not take everybody’s safety fears seriously? If I’m nervous about somebody I’m sharing a space with, I take my instincts seriously. It doesn’t happen to me very often so when it happens, I take notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

In other words: “Women, ignore your instincts!”.

The notice mentions people feeling safe. Why are all and every safety fear cited by transgender people taken completely seriously whilst women’s safety fears are dismissed as irrational or hysterical? It’s so hypocritical. Can we not take everybody’s safety fears seriously? If I’m nervous about somebody I’m sharing a space with, I take my instincts seriously. It doesn’t happen to me very often so when it happens, I take notice.

How about we don't let feeling's in the discussion at all. You can't control how people feel.

How about we don't let feeling's in the discussion at all. You can't control how people feel.

Feelings > facts these days.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/men-rule-the-charts-no-irish-female-artist-had-song-in-top-10-in-last-two-years-1.4410937

It appears female artists aren't as popular as male artists in the Irish charts.

Why?

You guessed it: because of white men.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Don't forget now, don't you do anything to make THEM fell uncomfortable, whilst always remembering it's fine for them to make YOU feel exactly that way, uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nobody who is "woke" would call themselves woke.

Then who's buying those Woke T-shirts in Penny's?
    Maybe they don't know what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Granted my own personal experience relies on Deadliest Catch or a trip to Howth Marina but I’ve never seen a fisherwoman so it’s kind of redundant. Binwoman would be the same too. Anyone ever seen one? Then again, that 6 foot 4 broadly built Eastern European individual might identify as Gosia or Monika these days and I’d have to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the display of a facemask in ones social media profile

latest sign of a virtuous citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Barman no longer to be used - its barpeople

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Barman no longer to be used - its barpeople
    What about bartender or barkeep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/men-rule-the-charts-no-irish-female-artist-had-song-in-top-10-in-last-two-years-1.4410937

It appears female artists aren't as popular as male artists in the Irish charts.

Why?

The irony being that chart music has always skewed heavily towards female audiences and that female audience skews even more towards male artists/bands.

That article could have been shortened to a single line: Irish commercial radio; what a ball o' shyte.

The irony being that chart music has always skewed heavily towards female audiences and that female audience skews even more towards male artists/bands.

That article could have been shortened to a single line: Irish commercial radio; what a ball o' shyte.

Switch between 2FM, Today FM and iRadio and see how often it's a guy on his own. Aside from oldies and weekend slots it ain't too often.

I definitely heard yer one Louise o Neill referring to someone as woke in a positive sense..
    Also heard her calling for people to "burn it all down"..

And there's no reason whatsoever a woman shouldn't be in the charts.. but like, the most recent reasonably local female I heard was singing a song about her own name..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

And there's no reason whatsoever a woman shouldn't be in the charts.. but like, the most recent reasonably local female I heard was singing a song about her own name..

Denise Chaila?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Why?

I notice the male artists they reckon are unfairly topping the charts include the likes of Picture This, Niall Horan, Westlife, and Dermot Kennedy.

Now I won't claim to have done any in depth market research but the vast majority of the fans of those acts would be women.

Here's a gallery of a Niall Horan concert; look at any crowd facing shots and amongst the hundreds of faces the only men are Niall and his band:
    http://christiantierney.com/niall-horan

But apparently men only dominate the charts because men conspire to put them there by discriminating against female artists, and nothing to do with the droves of women who voluntarily choose to buy/stream the men's songs instead of the womens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I dont feel its a slur and i am cis.

It is a slur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Who uses it as a slur?

Also i think snoop dog does think the n word is a slur.

I think its a slur not to call me a cis female to be honest. It means people won't know i was born and still identify as female 100%

Natural (biological) woman is the description you're avoiding in your repressed wokeness

99nsr125 wrote: »
    It is a slur

It’s meant as one and so it is one.

Watching Bake Off and there’s a trailer for “Is COVID Racist?”

No. It’s a ****ing virus!!! Idiots at C4!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

The Principal of Edinburgh University called the Police because "offensive" stickers were found on campus that said “Female is a biological reality” and “Woman. Noun. Adult human female”. The stickers are offensive to trans people apparently.

Biological facts and grammer are offensive and the Police need to be called.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/principal-backs-transgender-students-over-hurtful-stickers-9jpztg2tz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement