Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want to know the address of the blonde in the nice car - ask your car dealer

Options
  • 25-08-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Examiner is on form these days ...here's the next scandal:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037678.html
    It has now emerged that anyone in possession of a ‘garage code’, a password delivered to garages and dealerships for the use of the online system (known as MotorTrans), can access the details of any vehicle with a registration plate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shouldn’t be allowing them transfer cars without the VRC code in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pretty astonishing story, in fact outrageous if confirmed to be true, it seems a code is issued to dealerships and any Tom dick or delboy working at one can use the code to access info. As an aside, seems even more astonishing that tge Garda mobility app can't access info on either learner permits or Novice drivers from the NVDF, maybe now they can consult dealerships.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interesting with the recent gangland connections to some dealers that they now have access to the address of the registered owner of any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Since when have they been able to access the data this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Probably explains why a member of the Gardai whom I know well tells me that guards are advised to register their cars at their work address.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Since when have they been able to access the data this way?

God bless the department of transport, they gave access years ago, apparently to make life easier for them regarding registering ownership paperwork

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037678.html

Interesting with the recent gangland connections to some dealers that they now have access to the address of the registered owner of any car.

Excellent point and makes it all the more alarming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Quite concerning, but could we take a moment to appreciate the phrase:

“burning clown car of ineptitude“

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Irish Examiner on the ball in recent days.

This is an example of a system that wasn't tested properly.

Irish Examiner on the ball in recent days.

This is an example of a system that wasn't tested properly.

You'd have to wonder how it's taken years for this to surface, just seems extraordinary a garage code issued to dealerships and by all accounts Zero controls in place, looking forward to the Governments response to this, I shudder to think if with all these gangland killings and general car crime, has or will any be linked to information leaked because of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This is has been going on for a few years now. I encountered it myself whilst trying to sort out the absolute sh1tshow that is Motortrans and ROS and their archaic online systems of design. At one stage a dealer (anyone with a TAN no.) had to have two different versions of Java running. Anyone who has to deal with ROS really would need to be slightly medicated as it is the biggest piece of sh1t imaginable, think back to the days of Internet Explorer 6 garbage. It is as if Revenue sent out a tender for someone to design the absolute biggest steaming pile of manure online imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Dempo1 wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder how it's taken years for this to surface, just seems extraordinary a garage code issued to dealerships and by all accounts Zero controls in place, looking forward to the Governments response to this, I shudder to think if with all these gangland killings and general car crime, has or will any be linked to information leaked because of this

All those high end car thefts happen with assistance of this, want to steal something in demand, then you you can find whatever leafy suburb that Beamer is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s also the new car situation where you can view the owners details on motortax.ie until they tax it. Just need the last 6 digits of chassis number.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There’s also the new car situation where you can view the owners details on motortax.ie until they tax it. Just need the last 6 digits of chassis number.

Which are simple to come by as most cars have them on the bottom right of the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

So... To the whingers on the Garda Traffic thread going on about a blurred photo being a GDPR breach .... This is what a GDPR breach looks like.

TrailerBob wrote: »
    So... To the whingers on the Garda Traffic thread going on about a blurred photo being a GDPR breach .... This is what a GDPR breach looks like.

Always wondered about the malevolent nature of Gardai traffic twitter account, fair enough traffic news, accidents, diversions etc but is it really appropriate to have an official twitter account gleefully posting about "alledged offences", just always struck me as troubling, disturbing and odd albeit thankfully personal details being devulged not allowed. It was very telling during lock downs, the majority of tweets nothing to do with compliance of restrictions and more to do with various "Alledged" Traffic offences. No doubt I'll be vilified for having such views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

They only have to call offences alleged if they are to appear in court. I think it's good to show that offences are being caught, maybe they could tone down the sarcasm a bit alright.. My point being a picture of a car with the reg blurred out is not a GDPR breach. This motor trade access to owners details is very much a breach.

TrailerBob wrote: »
    They only have to call offences alleged if they are to appear in court. I think it's good to show that offences are being caught, maybe they could tone down the sarcasm a bit alright.. My point being a picture of a car with the reg blurred out is not a GDPR breach. This motor trade access to owners details is very much a breach.

Yes, fair points all round and in particular the sarcastic approach

the majority of tweets nothing to do with compliance of restrictions and more to do with various "Alledged" Traffic offences. No doubt I'll be vilified for having such views.

The hint is in the name. It's the traffic account so it tweets about traffic.

Ags I don't think have an an official account or if they do, it's not very popular

The hint is in the name. It's the traffic account so it tweets about traffic.

Ags I don't think have an an official account or if they do, it's not very popular

O it's official alright, yes "Traffic Account", not "Breaches of the Road Traffic act Account"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

O it's official alright, yes "Traffic Account", not "Breaches of the Road Traffic act Account"

VW polo driving 5kmph below speed limit and stopping at red light, wouldn't get much traction on twitter, it's the norm not news.

VW polo driving 5kmph below speed limit and stopping at red light, wouldn't get much traction on twitter, it's the norm not news.

That's probably not the best example, it's not about traction or news, my point being it really is not appropriate to be tweeting sarcastic enjoyment of "Alledged offences" not withstanding the core principle of Innocent until proven guilty, put another way, say a case goes to court, the defendant refutes the alledged offence, solicitor then presents a case of bias based on the arresting garda tweeting sarcastically defendants car being towed etc, might be a stretch but I've seen cases thrown out for less as I'm sure everyone has, just a humble opinion mind you.

That's probably not the best example, it's not about traction or news, my point being it really is not appropriate to be tweeting sarcastic enjoyment of "Alledged offences" not withstanding the core principle of Innocent until proven guilty, put another way, say a case goes to court, the defendant refutes the alledged offence, solicitor then presents a case of bias based on the arresting garda tweeting sarcastically defendants car being towed etc, might be a stretch but I've seen cases thrown out for less as I'm sure everyone has, just a humble opinion mind you.

It is not the guards job to assume innocence, infact quiet the opposite. They shouldn't be bringing cases before the court unless they are confident that the offence was committed. They are not the party responsible for convicting.

It is not the guards job to assume innocence, infact quiet the opposite. They shouldn't be bringing cases before the court unless they are confident that the offence was committed. They are not the party responsible for convicting.

I agree but equally not their job to PRE assume guilt, they are in fact partly responsible for convicting, how else does the matter reach court, all I'm suggesting is putting sarcastic tweets up run the risk of a tainted prosecution. I'll give you one example, very recently a very distinct open top Bentley / Rolls with a horrid blue color was stopped for suspected speeding, louth Road policing I believe. Now at a guess, you'd have to assume, very, very rare car, in fact on follow up tweets, some recognised the car. Just an example of my concern, there was also seperatly a very distinctive yellow motorbike which was also very recognisable, again I'm not critising the Gardai, just it's use of the Twitter Platform for none essential "traffic" updates as opposed to what I perceive as a molevant sarcasim. Just an opinion of course

I'd imagine that queries to the database are logged and that it would be a simple matter to check the log to find out if stolen cars were searched for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I agree but equally not their job to PRE assume guilt, they are in fact partly responsible for convicting, how else does the matter reach court, all I'm suggesting is putting sarcastic tweets up run the risk of a tainted prosecution. I'll give you one example, very recently a very distinct open top Bentley / Rolls with a horrid blue color was stopped for suspected speeding, louth Road policing I believe. Now at a guess, you'd have to assume, very, very rare car, in fact on follow up tweets, some recognised the car. Just an example of my concern, there was also seperatly a very distinctive yellow motorbike which was also very recognisable, again I'm not critising the Gardai, just it's use of the Twitter Platform for none essential "traffic" updates as opposed to what I perceive as a molevant sarcasim. Just an opinion of course

You say it runs the risk of a tainted prosecution but apart from your conjecture you don't really provide any evidence of it.
    Meanwhile they've posted 30'000 tweets using the same format and same writing style for almost 10 years now. It's pretty safe to say using that enormous time span and sample size that if there were any issues of Data Protection or presumption of innocence it would have come out long long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Incredible. Categorically, this has been used for the purposes of crime, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd imagine that queries to the database are logged and that it would be a simple matter to check the log to find out if stolen cars were searched for.

Is imagine that this situation is impossible in the first place, but here we are. What a complete joke of a system.

I personally know of two people who were targeted at home due to their work. One was a signed Christmas card from a known criminal, the other was a petrol bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Given the response from the Department of Transport it seems it has no clue itself about how its own system functions. Certainly from this response I'd have zero faith in its ability, or even its inclination, to log or check anything.

"Contacted for comment, the Department of Transport initially said the address of the owner is not displayed on MotorTrans. A spokesman then said the address is only displayed once a transaction has been completed.

It was pointed out to the department this is not the case and a vehicle registration certificate is not required, whereupon a subsequent request for further comment was not answered at time of going to press."

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood. I know it's an official ags account. I meant I don't think ags have a general account for general policing.

I don't really get the gripe part. It's the traffic account, it tweets about the offences that the traffic Corp deal with

Advertisement