Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old and forgotten Cartoon series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

actually a shout out to mr benn aswell

felt like there were hundreds of episodes turns out to be less than twenty :o

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

On the money !!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Biker mice from Mars
    The Tick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

As for Sharkie and George, we have 2 labs, Enzo and George, I sing this tune at them all the time replacing Sharkie with Enzo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

ianob7 wrote: »
    Biker mice from Mars
    The Tick

"By the speed of lint!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

awesome thread, the show about the workings of the body was one weird cartoon, remember watching that

funny thing is my 6 year old (girl) mostly watches older cartoons, Fireman sam and Thomas the tank engine in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I presume it has already been mentioned but Pinky and the brain was one of my favourites in college.

As a kid I loved Penelope Pitstop cartoon. And anything with Pepe Le Pew.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    No mention of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?
    Also one of my childhood faves The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers

https://youtu.be/n8sOc2T_Ckc

What the hell happened to cartoons, things are supposed to get better as time progresses not worse, some of the drivel that passes for cartoons these days.
    My daughter will be shown all of this old stuff for sure.

Best animated show has to be Batman the animated series.

Not just cartoons, toys too. I remember as a kid talking with a friend and saying toys in the year 2000(:eek:) will be phenomenal. When the first transformers movie came out, I bought a couple of the transformers toys. If my transformers toys from when I was a kid in the 80's fought the current/recent toys, the modern autobots would be decimated. Light, flimsy, cheap yokes.

I don't agree that Batman TAS was the best animated show, simply because, there were so many great cartoons in the 80s and 90s.

Ducktales
    Tailspin
    The Racoons(which I especially loved)
    Chip'n'Dale: Rescue rangers
    Ghostbusters

A few I remember but don't remember the names of:

Intro was real cats and dogs in a garden and then it switched to a cartoon, with a different theme each week, sort of like day dreaming to be a different hero, like Robin Hood, possibly a star trek scenario?

An action cartoon, with 3-4 heros, one might have been black panther?

Count Duckula I never liked as a kid. Saw it recently and loved it. Thought it was hilarious. I think most of it just went over my head.

Cyrus wrote: »
    awesome thread, the show about the workings of the body was one weird cartoon, remember watching that

funny thing is my 6 year old (girl) mostly watches older cartoons, Fireman sam and Thomas the tank engine in the main.

Try and find The Tugs for your daughter. Similar animation to Thomas the Tank engine. I used to love it.

Edit: Here's the first episode:

David the Gnome.

Did anyone mention He-man yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

denartha wrote: »
    Not just cartoons, toys too. I remember as a kid talking with a friend and saying toys in the year 2000(:eek:) will be phenomenal. When the first transformers movie came out, I bought a couple of the transformers toys. If my transformers toys from when I was a kid in the 80's fought the current/recent toys, the modern autobots would be decimated. Light, flimsy, cheap yokes.

I don't agree that Batman TAS was the best animated show, simply because, there were so many great cartoons in the 80s and 90s.

Ducktales
    Tailspin
    The Racoons(which I especially loved)
    Chip'n'Dale: Rescue rangers
    Ghostbusters

A few I remember but don't remember the names of:

Intro was real cats and dogs in a garden and then it switched to a cartoon, with a different theme each week, sort of like day dreaming to be a different hero, like Robin Hood, possibly a star trek scenario?

An action cartoon, with 3-4 heros, one might have been black panther?

Count Duckula I never liked as a kid. Saw it recently and loved it. Thought it was hilarious. I think most of it just went over my head.

The 80's and 90's have a wealth of amazing cartoons and some may have been more enjoyable than Batman TAS but it stands out for quality of animation, sound design, voice acting and scripting. In my opinion Batman was a work of art for the medium.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Sport Billy. Had a magic bag where he could get any piece of sport equipment from. Absolute cracker of a kids cartoon.

Thank you, someone else that knows Sport billy. I call my wife sport billy when she produces another random object from her handbag, usually anti venum or similar. No one ever gets it!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Nobody's mentioned Batfink yet 🙄🙄🙄
    "my wings are like a shield of steel"

If you have watched any of the modern Tom and Jerry it would break your heart, they've pillaged it.
    Road Runner was the best, my mom and dad would sit and watch those too. The only shows that would have us all laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ghostbusters

the Real Ghostbusters :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Try and find The Tugs for your daughter. Similar animation to Thomas the Tank engine. I used to love it.

Edit: Here's the first episode:

might try her on postman pat as well

she is very funny, she is convinved fireman sam is real and when she finishes in college we are all moving to pontypandy where she will work as a firefighter :D

circadian wrote: »
    The 80's and 90's have a wealth of amazing cartoons and some may have been more enjoyable than Batman TAS but it stands out for quality of animation, sound design, voice acting and scripting. In my opinion Batman was a work of art for the medium.

Work of art, absolutely. it was a genius idea to use the theme music from Batman(1989) as the theme music for the cartoon.

Although not a series per se, I remember being mesmerised by a cartoon type mini movie of a family of kids who fall down a hole and into a magical land where the creatures only communicated by using the word 'og'. Amazingly after a few minutes I could completely understand (well I thought I could anyway) what they meant when they were going og og og og og og og og og og. Tried it on my parents after, fcuckers must be morons as they hadn't a clue what I was saying.

Any mention of the Tennage Mutant Hero Turtles original? Terrible animation but i loved it

Any mention of the Tennage Mutant Hero Turtles original? Terrible animation but i loved it

I remember when it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but needed to change the name as it was too violent. That was the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

joeguevara wrote: »
    I remember this cartoon about inside the human body. How blood would be attacking viruses etc. It was fcucking amazing.

We bought the series on DVD in Italy a few years ago. Still brilliant. It has a set of books too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Rewatched every episode of TMNT recently with my son. I've shown him loads of old and new cartoons.

Mental how ridiculous the show got as it went on. Especially when they started changing voices *Original Shredder was the best!! *
    Plus bringing these annoying characters in. I mean the less I say about Shreeka the better hahaha!
    The last season or two when they changed to darker theme was bit meh as well.

Gonna jump on YouTube later and I'm sure I'll come across a ton of stuff again haha.

Rewatched every episode of TMNT recently with my son. I've shown him loads of old and new cartoons.

Mental how ridiculous the show got as it went on. Especially when they started changing voices *Original Shredder was the best!! *
    Plus bringing these annoying characters in. I mean the less I say about Shreeka the better hahaha!
    The last season or two when they changed to darker theme was bit meh as well.

Gonna jump on YouTube later and I'm sure I'll come across a ton of stuff again haha.

Wasn't Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince the voice of Shredder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thank you, someone else that knows Sport billy. I call my wife sport billy when she produces another random object from her handbag, usually anti venum or similar. No one ever gets it!:mad:

Never knew he was an alien

I also loved the theme tune to "Amigo and Friends"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Wasn't Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince the voice of Shredder?

Yup he had some class back and forth with Krang threw out the first few seasons. Like two auld ones haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I had completely forgotten about this cartoon until now, the song and the black circle faces on the dinos brought it back though, it was great.
    and of course the king of all theme tunes:
    Mysterious cities of Gold
    Great song, I don't actually remember the cartoon much mainly just the theme song.

Here is another great from that era I havn't seen mentioned, Spartakus and the Sun beneath the sea

Edit to add: Above is the show intro, there is also a full version of the song which is twice as long, great tune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeKLy-Yz38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

No mention of Starcom either. Great cartoon with brilliant toys.

Knew about the toys but never saw the cartoon

odyssey06 wrote: »
    the Real Ghostbusters :)

Actually there was two.
    The Ghostbusters were a hannabarbera cartoon like scooby doo.
    The Ghostbusters film wanted to use the name and piad them.
    Then Marvel and Dic did a cartoon but didnt want to pay royalties. So they called it the Real Ghostbusters.

el_gaucho wrote: »
    We bought the series on DVD in Italy a few years ago. Still brilliant. It has a set of books too.

Congratulations on getting the books.
    But F^&k me the price of those DVD!!!!!

Knew about the toys but never saw the cartoon

Most of them are on YouTube. It hasn't aged well. The toys were brilliant though.
    M. A. S. K. Was the best thing ever when I was small, watched some recently and thought I was easily entertained as a child. It's still better than the stuff on nowadays though!

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember a cartoon about a giant dragon type creature, I think it was turned to stone and was trapped in a huge cave but could communicate somehow. It was evil and wanted to escape and had minions working towards that goal.

I can't remember any more details about it

Advertisement