Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lady Eivor is looking badass. Pet wolf and settlements objects like trees and statues, looking right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Magnus Bruun from The Last Kingdom is playing Eivor
    https://twitter.com/Magnus__Bruun/status/1255879611516366853?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I see it's part of the Xbox Smart Delivery scheme - buy it on the Xbox One and you'll own it on the Xbox Series X too.

Something like that would convince me to not just buy the game this late in the console cycle but may help decide which console to buy next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Any chance Ireland features in it?

• Advertisement

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Any chance Ireland features in it?

It was heavily hinted at in some of the leaks last year but given that trailer I would say it's all England now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Now have to see will it be safer to get posted on in store

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if Uthred son of Uthred of Behbehbeh will be in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It was heavily hinted at in some of the leaks last year but given that trailer I would say it's all England now.

Hard to know, Odyssey had an awful lot of boat travel involved, Vikings are synonymous with boat related antics, considering ireland is the nearest neighbour it would be weird to not have it featured in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Why are people getting excited for this?

It's literally just another CGi trailer, and while it's cool enough, it features no game detail whatsoever.

It's the standard viking story, and I love viking lore and myths but this just appears to be a copy paste of Vikings season 1.

There is literally nothing special about this game that we can see, so why get hyped? So we can prepare for Ubi to take a great big **** on the floor again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sonics2k wrote: »

There is literally nothing special about this game that we can see, so why get hyped? So we can prepare for Ubi to take a great big **** on the floor again?

Because Odyssey is a brilliant game and Origins before it was very good.

And Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Why are people getting excited for this?

It's literally just another CGi trailer, and while it's cool enough, it features no game detail whatsoever.

It's the standard viking story, and I love viking lore and myths but this just appears to be a copy paste of Vikings season 1.

I think Ubisoft has done enough over the past few releases (Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey) to eliminate any resentment over Unity, Rogue, and AC3. As a series, Assassins Creed has had way more highs than lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

chrislad wrote: »
    I think Ubisoft has done enough over the past few releases (Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey) to eliminate any resentment over Unity, Rogue, and AC3. As a series, Assassins Creed has had way more highs than lows.

I liked Rogue even if it was basically a repackaged Black Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Looks animal.

AC do a great trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Because Odyssey is a brilliant game and Origins before it was very good.

And Vikings.

The only thing I'd have against Odyssey is that it was almost too bloated with content, even more if you had a season pass. By the time I finished the main game I just couldn't push on to the DLC.

My one mark against this so far. In the trailer he clearly spares women and children so I'm already thinking it will be a sympathetic telling of viking raids or the main character will have a clash of philosophy with someone about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

bot43 wrote: »
    I liked Rogue even if it was basically a repackaged Black Flag.

I could never get past the horrendous Irish accent. :)

I'm planning to try again, once I finish my replay of Black Flag, but I think it may be *too* similar to play so close to Black Flag.

You can dual wield any combination of weapons and even dual wield 2 shields

Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-character-customization.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So if Ubisoft Montreal are working on this and its coming this year, Quebec must be planning there next Assassins creed game as we speak and might be here next year or the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Is the modern day stuff still in Assassins creed games? Played the first one and it really turned me off the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Icaras wrote: »
    Is the modern day stuff still in Assassins creed games? Played the first one and it really turned me off the games.

Yes, Unfortunately they still haven't realised that part is pointless and most people ignore that part of the story telling, cause its sh!te :)

But its defo not as much as it was, theres very little back and forth between the two, so its easy to just ignore it or switch off and not miss anything of worth in the grand scheme of the storytelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

ERG89 wrote: »
    My one mark against this so far. In the trailer he clearly spares women and children so I'm already thinking it will be a sympathetic telling of viking raids or the main character will have a clash of philosophy with someone about that.

All the visuals show a counter to what (the eventual) Alfred the Great is narrating about the Vikings.
    When we use the word “Vikings,” who are the exact people we’re referring to?
    Thierry Noel: That’s an excellent question. When we say “Vikings” it’s kind of used as a generic word. We know that in the West, it conjures up the image of brutes and plunderers that destroyed monasteries all over Western Europe, but in reality, it’s a bit more complicated than that. The term “Vikings” actually refers to an elite class of the Norse society. They were a certain group of people in Norse culture that were traders, explorers, excellent seafarers, settlers, and, yes, sometimes invaders and plunderers.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/assassins-creed/valhalla/news-updates/3MqVugCVVB0cLydXLn3Xy3/assassins-creed-valhalla-the-history-behind-the-viking-legend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

chrislad wrote: »
    I could never get past the horrendous Irish accent. :)

I'm planning to try again, once I finish my replay of Black Flag, but I think it may be *too* similar to play so close to Black Flag.

I’ve a feeling there will be a few more horrendous Irish accents in Valhalla !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well that trailer just hit the right spot with me. I was just into season 3 of The Last Kingdom and it felt like I was watching a trailer of an upcoming season. I know the final product won't look like that, or maybe it will on next gen, but after Origins and Odyssey, I know they have the right formula for a Vikings setting. Suits the current RPG style they have.

And I love where the series is going. Modern day stuff, as mentioned, is not invasive and can be ignored. I frequently forgot there was a modern part in Odyssey. What they did with the lore and tieing it into the First Civilization, I look forward to the same with Odin and Co. Norse mythology being the in subject that it is right now, thank you (very different and shouldn't be comparable) God of War.

This gen, next gen, don't care, I'm in! Day 1, and they are very rare for me these days (this, and Ghost of Tsushima).

All this is confirmed info shared by director of the game.

1: Content wont be level gated, leveling will be there primarily for unlocking new abilities, and you shouldnt run into unbeatable overleveled enemies anymore. The focus is for players to have freedom, and they shouldnt be forced to do content they dont desire to do.

2: There will be plenty of skills for both combat and stealth, but they will be more grounded compared to Odyssey.

3: There will be no naval combat, the longship we will use will be there primarily for exploration and for fleeing intense moments like raids.

4: There is improved stealth in some ways, and it will allow us to hide in crowds once again ,but there is unspecified twist to this system.

5: There is also improved parkour system, which is meant to be more similiar to likes of Black Flag mechanic-wise.

6: You will be able to create and customize mercenaries that will help you in raids and combat, and they will also start appearing in other players worlds, and if they kill those players, the mercenary will "scavange their resources" for you. Working like the mercenary system in odyssey, but sorta driven by players.

7: There will be over 25 standart enemy types, not counting any unique bosses. Enemies will have weakpoints and unique abilities

8: Any combination of weapons will be dual-wieldable, even combination of two shields if you wish.

9: There will be a settlement that you will be able to upgrade and inhabit with new people, this settlement will also serve as your quote on quote base of operations, and its where all the major events will start, and probably end.

10: Eagle is replaced by Raven, which all of you prolly know, but this time it will have its own cutomizable skins, and it will have more abilities.

11: Raven is also meant to be a replacement to some UI functions, to make your screen look cleaner.

12: There will be larger varienty of animals to ride, including bears, and wolves.

13: Players will be able to fully explore 4 major england kingdoms, Wessex, Northumbria, East Anglia, and Mercia. Included cities being for example London, Winchester, and York. We will also have access to part of Norway, and players will be able to freely travel between the two countries.

14: There will be choice of gender for your main character, Eivor, but it doesnt appear it will be situation like in Odyssey, but rather one character for which you choose gender.

15: There will also be customizable haristyle and tattoes on your character.

16: Gear should be made up from unique pieces, you shouldnt be able to get multiple variations of a single piece of weapon, and you will be able to upgrade said weapons. Essentialy a weapon you pick up at the very start of the game, can be carried all the way to the endgame if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I'm well hyped for this game. The trailer does look impressive, but with no gameplay is really just a bit of wi Dow dressing. Reason I'm hyped is Odyssey was brilliant, and Vikings one of my fave tv programs in recent years, so this will just combine them perfectly. Also playing through AC2 at the mo, dated really well and shows what they can do with the franchise in interesting settings.

Re the present day stuff, hate those scenes and just try to whizz through them to get to the proper game. Be more than happy if they just abandon them completely

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm actually liking the sound of the less rpgness than Odyssey. Finding a good weapon and being able to take it through the game with upgrades, also not being able to level up your character. I want to be able to one hit kill standard enemies from a stealth jump attack from above instead of taking of '80 damage'.

Also, the creating your own sent that can stack other players in their game sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Definitely no ship combat lads, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Definitely no ship combat lads, yeah?

It'd be super dumb if there was, canons werent invented back in the Viking era, and shooting just arrows from a viking boat would be super boring naval combat :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I definitely wouldn't miss the naval combat. It was okay in previous games, but was an unnecessary drain on resources and time.

And while I enjoyed the superpower-ness of Odyssey, I don't mind them making the combat and skills more grounded so long as you still have some decent skills to help in combat. Ones with decent knockback or power, or proper stealth-kill skills which like Zero-Cool says, doesn't just take a chunk of their health. A stealth-kill should be an instant kill to reward not being seen.

But if they are getting rid of superpowers, at least still give us the ability to jump from heights without taking fall damage like one of the skills in Odyssey. For games where you have to do a lot of climbing or traversing up high cliffs/mountains, having to climb back down or look for the conveniently-placed haystack is just a pain in the jacksy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement