Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skallywag

listermint wrote: »
    And we're still blaming the resort's.

Yes.

The word on the ground in Austria is that they really messed up. They certainly played a major role in this.

No question that personal responsibility comes into play, I'm completely with you. But Ischgl should have acted before it did and they most certainly are guilty of willfully putting lives at risk, in my opinion anyway.

Let's see what the courts decide when this is all blown over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

skallywag wrote: »
    Yes.

The word on the ground in Austria is that they really messed up. They certainly played a major role in this.

No question that personal responsibility comes into play, I'm completely with you. But Ischgl should have acted before it did and they most certainly are guilty of willfully putting lives at risk, in my opinion anyway.

Let's see what the courts decide when this is all blown over.

Well we will disagree entirely then.

I think we should sue the skiers for bringing it back to our health system.

Exactly the same premise.

I think we should sue the skiers for bringing it back to our health system..

There was no official evidence or advice being issued at the end of February that going to Austria carried any significant risk.

Hindsight is always a great thing, but that's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

skallywag wrote: »

@a148pro, you were asking about the Austrian summer season. I would also be somewhat optimistic here, as Austria is now gradually opening up again, in that from May 1st you can meet friends, from May 15th restaurants are going to open, MTB and swimming in rivers and lakes is allowed again, etc. Of course if that second wave comes it could change all of this, but based on what we know today things are not looking so bad I would think.

Austria never had the 2Km rule either, which is really great, I think that that would be the toughest part of it all, for me at least.

Have you ever been to the likes of Anton or Ischgl in the summer time? They can be really nice, and the contrast to how it looks in the winter is amazing. Great options for cycling, MTB, hiking etc. It is also much cheaper than in the winter season.

Couple of posters on here strongly recommended it, I looked at kinderhotels for Summer and they were more or less same price as Winter, apartments would probably be a lot cheaper.

At moment the primary question is will we be able to get out of Ireland. Need a sun holiday as preference but would go for mountains if it wasn't on offer. There's also the small matter of the wallet too, not sure if we'll be able to afford something.

Lets see.

Incidently how are they going to open restaurants?

a148pro wrote: »
    Incidently how are they going to open restaurants?

That is a very good question, and I am not really sure how it is going to work.

It seems that the wearing of masks is going to be compulsory, which is a bit at odds with operating a restaurant?! Also, how is the serving going to work? Is the waiter going to bring your meal to a 'drop-off table' in the corner, and you pick it up then when they are gone, etc.?

I guess that they will only be able to cater for a far smaller number of people as well, which may mean that many simply will not be able to afford to open at all.

Concerning prices, the self catering apartments are certainly considerably cheaper in the summer. It is really cool hiking/biking on a mountain which you have skied on in the winter, it looks like a different universe completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Well we will disagree entirely then.

I think we should sue the skiers for bringing it back to our health system.

Exactly the same premise.

So should we sue everyone who landed in Ireland that week from all over the world too? Or the few thousand Italian rugby fans that came over for a weekend?

Things getting more and more back to the norm in Austria pubs open from last Friday, kids back at school as well this week, and the borders beginning to open again. It's funny seeing it all return to normal, even after just a few days it is hard to imagine the restrictions that were in place just a few days ago, with the army on closed border crossings, etc. Let's see now how it all pans out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Here's hoping they are returned to normal enough to have the slopes open in January! ��

Austria is using a 1m rule for distancing, so that is currently rolled out in schools, pubs, etc.

Concerning skiing though, I cannot imagine how it is going to work unless distancing is done away with completely? Thinking mainly of queuing for lifts and sitting on the lifts ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Rew wrote: »

So would this then make Ischgl one of the safer resorts to travel to next winter I wonder?

I.e. with high antibodies in local population and with a lot of stringent practices on social distancing & hygiene, etc in place

daithi7 wrote: »
    So would this then make Ischgl one of the safer resorts to travel to next winter I wonder?

I.e. with high antibodies in local population and with a lot of stringent practices on social distancing & hygiene, etc in place

Yes if it was just you but the thousands of strangers coming in weekly are going to be an issue.

daithi7 wrote: »
    ...and with a lot of stringent practices on social distancing & hygiene, etc in place

I've also been thinking about this. Austria has opened up quite a lot, and is doing well all in all with regards to the virus, but I cannot see how any form of social distancing could be implemented either queuing for or riding on the lifts, without slowing things down to a snail's pace and effectively taking the fun out of it as you are in a queue all day long for the sake of a hand full of runs.

I'll be honest, I'm worried about our skiing potential for the forseeable

I'll be honest, I'm worried about our skiing potential for the forseeable

Same, I’d normally have a December trip booked and be planning one for the new year. Realistically if we get to ski this winter it will be a last minute thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm possibly bonkers, but I went ahead and booked for next year. Fingers and toes crossed.

trashcan wrote: »
    I'm possibly bonkers, but I went ahead and booked for next year. Fingers and toes crossed.

Good man/woman yourself. Did you book a package holiday? The reason I ask is I’m sure it would be easy enough to get a refund if for some reason you could not travel.

maddness wrote: »
    Good man/woman yourself. Did you book a package holiday? The reason I ask is I’m sure it would be easy enough to get a refund if for some reason you could not travel.

Yeah, booked with topflight. Paid deposit and the balance is due 12 weeks before departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

the only fireproof place is Switzerland as they will not close any resorts, soon there are allowing events up to 1,000 people. Obviously Switzerland is expensive but like anywhere you can economize.

Let's see, Switzerland is currently experiencing a steady rise in numbers.

Ischgl have already made a statement that this year will be dramatically different than usual, with no apres ski at all, and also heavy control on the amount of people allowed into the restaurants at lunchtime etc. My biggest concern is still though is getting onto the mountain. The usual packed gondolas will clearly be gone, as will be the normally massive dense crowds you usually see getting onto the lifts. I cannot see how that will be worked out, apart from a single file queue with 1m between people, snaking back towards the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

It's not workable. You can't social distance in queues, people slide too much in them, the ground is uneven, you go forward a spot and suddenly slide down an extra little bit. People of every ability in the queue and some really struggle to not slide into the person in front.

And if you limit numbers in gondalas and lifts too much you'll have huge queues. Even less of a possibility of social distancing.

I can't see how ski resorts can open up within the recommended guidelines.

blue note wrote: »
    I can't see how ski resorts can open up within the recommended guidelines.

Have to say I unfortunately agree.

Perhaps some of the smaller lesser known resorts, with no gondolas, etc may be able to open. Or those with T-bars only somehow. But the larger resorts are in trouble I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'm gonna wait til the season is well under way and I hear some reports on how it's going.

Few of the lads are very keen on booking something soon. I think they're mad tbh. Ski holidays are pricey things. I'd be sick if I splashed out the guts of 2 grand only for it to end up being a disaster.

Ah lads, this is all making me feel very pessimistic !

I think it's the year to finally try self propelled skiing, ie, touring with a guide

Way too much up in the air - what will Ireland's position on travel be, will it be morally acceptable to go? I mean I barely know anyone who's gone on a foreign holiday, although that piety will wear off

I think resorts have been open as normalish for the summer season, albeit probably with feck all people there. What are the resorts saying? I suspect european guidelines / laws much less stringent than ireland

Good and bad news here. Chrystal's policies with free changes etc are impressive.

https://planetski.eu/2020/09/06/coronavirus-impact-on-skiing-snowboarding-10/

I know this has been done to death but it's a good article. The figure of 28 people dying from corona virus after returning from ischgl is pretty fcuking astonishing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/could-one-austrian-village-have-infected-much-of-europe-1.4348688

I know this has been done to death but it's a good article. The figure of 28 people dying from corona virus after returning from ischgl is pretty fcuking astonishing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/could-one-austrian-village-have-infected-much-of-europe-1.4348688

Id say the number is way higher, the spread from those who brought it back would be multiple times those that got it there.

I know one guy who got it there, his whole family got it and now he has long term side effects 6 months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Ischgl is where my mates that I mentioned a few posts above are looking at booking next year. Was there two years ago and had one of my best ever boarding holidays but I'm not crazy on the idea of going back

Maybe I'm overthinking it but from a moral standpoint the idea of spending money there after how they handled the covid outbreak (basically putting profit ahead of people's health) doesn't sit right with me

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about that. With hindsight, bad decisions were certainly made. But it's very hard to expect a ski resort to make a decision that will effectively end it's season and livelihood for everyone in the valley, without clear information. How does it rank compared to irish decisions to recommend no restrictions on visits to nursing homes, not consider the role of agency staff in those environments, allow Italian fans to travel, put in place next to no travel restrictions despite seeing what was happening in europe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement