Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old(ish) man doing kickboxing.... advice

• 06-02-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI Guys,
    Started doing kickboxing about two years ago after watching my kids train since they were young. Im 46 now and have progressed to orange belt having previously done zero martial arts training.
    Im only able to train/spar (point sparing)once a week due to life commitments but was wondering if there are any workouts, stretches etc that I could do at home (I have a heavy bag in the shed) that would improve my technique as im looking at other (younger) members of my club and their techniques are superb compared to mine.
    Im hoping o eventually push on to grade at black belt in the next few years as a personal life goal and I do love lending a hand with the younger kids drills.
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

There is a lot that could be done to help the key things are to decide on the areas you need the most work on and then how much time you can realistically commit to training.

The key thing is to keep at what you pick to see long term progress. A bit of strength training mixed with some mobility / flexibility work will help you train better but also feel better and last longer. Its hard to give accurate advice without knowing you and your needs but I am happy to help if you have any specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lordie1

I would'nt consider you 'old' or 'oldish' nor should it in any way prevent you attaining your black belt goals at KB. I started KB at 46yrs, and although I did karatae as a kid, I really enjoyed the twice weekly training ( regularly ) with Gan Teora in D.8 where I trained, sparred, and fought competitively for 3 years , was graded many times and ultimately attained brown belt status . I would recommend some body weight exercises at Home with some shadow boxing and kickpad strikes to maintain and improved motion and flexibility on all kicks, front, side, round house, high and scissors kicks . Good Luck .

Advertisement