Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

Forget about those halfords mats. They are designed for standing on to help prevent fatigue from hard surfaces like concrete. They're only about 10-15mm thick. Not much more protection than carpet

A better option would be the jigsaw mats in the link below. You'd get away with the 20mm for rolling, but I wouldt be doing much in the line of throws or take downs. If you can afford it the 40mm are probably the best for home use, short of buying judo tatami

https://www.epayments.co.uk/epages/es771923.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es771923

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks man will have a think about those, they look the job alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for starting this Zero-Cool. I kinda dropped the ball on it :D
    I agree with cletus regarding mats. Jigsaw mats are a minimum. They'd be fine for practicing shooting, penetration step, and controled double legs. Not so good for sparring takedowns.

meh double post. Might as well amke use of it.

This match up was announced this week, and I'm pretty hyped for it. Massive respect for Tonon for looking for this match. I imagine virtually the whole grapplign world wants him to win via heelhook here.

tonon.jpg

He's giving up a fair lump of weight, but he claims to see some large and exploitable holes in Palhares' leglock game.

It will be very interesting, technician vs beast

I know Alan Belcher managed to negate it, but he was (at least nominally) in the same weight class, and he was also allowed to punch Palhares in the face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Take it everyone has watched Jiu Jitsu vs the world at this stage??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyyp7uVmiA

I thought it was a great show

feelpablo wrote: »
    Take it everyone has watched Jiu Jitsu vs the world at this stage??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyyp7uVmiA

I thought it was a great show

I just came across that this morning looking for vids, didn't realise it was so new, good timing, will definitely watch that through later! I also saw Eddie Bravo has a documentary series with the 1st episode coming out today, looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

didnt know about the 10th planet one...nice one will have to catch that...cheers

cletus wrote: »
    He's giving up a fair lump of weight, but he claims to see some large and exploitable holes in Palhares' leglock game.

It will be very interesting, technician vs beast

I know Alan Belcher managed to negate it, but he was (at least nominally) in the same weight class, and he was also allowed to punch Palhares in the face
    It's booked for 83kg or so I heard. Which means Garry has a few weeks to put on up to 10lbs. Palhares prob has to cut.

Tonon appears much more adept at incorporating positions of control like saddle, outside ashi, etc. Virtually pinning his opponent before going for the heelhook.

I definitely believe there's holes in Palhares's game, or maybe opportunities is more fitting. His heelhooks are no doubt technical, but he also relied on aggressively going for it and sacrificing/ignoring any sort of position or control. In MMA it didn't matter, as his opponents either didn't know what to do, or froze with only seconds to react.
    Against somebody who knows what to do, they just move around his unsecured attack.

qgPRW9P.gif

Tonon training for Palhares, #ScreamTap :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/tonongarry/videos/972460752846590/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone here thinking of entering the ADCC Irish Open?

Anyone here thinking of entering the ADCC Irish Open?

I wouldn't mind going to watch this. Any idea of date and location? I can't find much about it.

Is it a qualifier for the finals? Or just a regional event under ADCC rules.

I was really looking forward to the Eddie Bravo series but you can only watch it on floprograppling.com and have to be a pro member to watch, 15 or 20 quid a month. Balls anyway.

http://www.flograppling.com/video/916012-eddie-bravo-building-an-empire-episode-1

Mellor wrote: »
    Is it a qualifier for the finals? Or just a regional event under ADCC rules.

As far as I know it's just a national competition under ADCC rules, but maybe the winner gets an entry to the European qualifications or something? ADCC worlds actually tend to be mostly invitational with a handful of qualifiers.

I like the ADCC rules though as I prefer submission only no-gi to sports jiu jitsu so I'm tempted to enter, just waiting on weight classifications, because it's not a pure BJJ event it's not categorised by belt, I want to enter but I don't fancy being fed to a group of sharks, I'm a BJJ blue belt with some judo and Greco-Roman wrestling experience so I could hold my own with most people in ADCC rules but high level brown and black belts would figure me out pretty quickly and I'd end up reverting to trying deep half guard waiter sweeps 😂

Watched my 1st Eddie Bravo Invitational EBI 4, man that was excellent! Can't seem to find EBI 5 but really looking forward to 6 now. Definitely an interesting scoring system of cash for subs, no points for positions.

As far as I know it's just a national competition under ADCC rules, but maybe the winner gets an entry to the European qualifications or something? ADCC worlds actually tend to be mostly invitational with a handful of qualifiers.
    Half the field are qualifiers, the other half are invited. From memory there are 2 each in America, Brazil, Europe, Asia.
    I forgot it was every second year though.

There's an Abu Dhabi Professional qualifier here in Sydney this weekend. Really considering giving it a go. The prizes are incredible compared to IBJJF tourneys.

All Light Open and Heavy Open winners receive;
    National PRO champion’s travel packages include:

Entry for 2016 Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship in April
    Event Registration
    Flight tickets from Sydney main Airport to Abu Dhabi
    Visa
    Transportations
    Accommodation
    Meals
    2016 Abu Dhabi World Pro Competitor T-shirt

Black champs are at IBJJF get nothing, and UAEJJ are giving international prizes to blue belts. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Got my first submission win today. Had a few stalemates or wins by getting to a better position but this was my first sub. Triangle choke from guard. Was delighted. Long road ahead even to my first stripe but I'm really enjoying it.

Anyone heading to the SBG summer camp in June?

Three days of JK, Matt, Tom King and guest players giving workshops and seminars as well as in-house competitions and lots of live rolling.

I'm trying to figure out my work schedule for that month right now before committing to it but I'm not sure I'll be in country for it just yet.

• Advertisement

Not bjj, but Shinya Aoki being a beast on the mats

Anyone have a favourite brand of rashguards for grappling?

I've just been using under armour for no-gi but wouldn't mind buying a few bjj specific ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,630 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've just been using under armour for no-gi but wouldn't mind buying a few bjj specific ones.

I bought a few Sub Only on Amazon. They were on sale at the time.

Other than that I just use our club rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭rain on

Tatami and Wolfhound are the best quality ones that I have - I've no gi gear from both of them that's taken a lot of punishment and is still going strong. Penneys do a fairly decent range for the price but I only use them for wearing under my gi really.

rain on wrote: »
    Tatami and Wolfhound are the best quality ones that I have - I've no gi gear from both of them that's taken a lot of punishment and is still going strong. Penneys do a fairly decent range for the price but I only use them for wearing under my gi really.

I actually have a few pennies ones for under my gi and under my bike kit when cycling, definitely not up to the task of no-gi rolling though.

Good to hear the worlfhound rash guards are durable, I love the gi I got from them.

Anyone going to the Dublin open in three weeks?

Think I might make it my first comp in two years even though I'm only back training from a layoff since October :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭rain on

Good to hear the worlfhound rash guards are durable, I love the gi I got from them.

Ya the ones I have feel quite light and I wasn't sure if they would last, but I've had them nearly two years and they've stood up to MMA, wrestling, gi and no gi with no issues, it's nice to have gear from an Irish owned company as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Just out of curiosity how long did it take for each of your belt progressions? How many times a week did you train? Did you have to take a break half way through a belt due to other commitments or money, it's an expensive past time, or just feel like taking a break? And also how good were you? Were you beating 90% of white belts when you were promoted to a blue or closer to 50%?

I ask as a full-time student who works part-time so I can only make an evening or two, or three if I'm really lucky, and will likely have to take breaks for exams and other commitments. But 99% of practitioners are in my shoes where the other commitments and can only train a few times a week. Some of the stuff you read online about being a blue belt in a year or two after training 2 hours a day 5 days a week doesn't really resonate with us haha.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take for each of your belt progressions? How many times a week did you train? Did you have to take a break half way through a belt due to other commitments or money, it's an expensive past time, or just feel like taking a break?

I started in April 12 and got a Blue in August 14. Only started training in the GI in 2013.

I've also missed about 10/12 months altogether since i started with a month or two at a time with injury and work.

Hope to have a purple by the end of 2017.

Before I got my Blue I was beating most of the blues in my club(all much bigger than me) and could hold my own at other clubs against their whites and a good few blues.

When I have time I trained in my club twice a week and used to go to to Seminars when I could and if there was an open map I'd try make those as well.

• Advertisement

I use either my clubs one, or a tatami. None will last forever with a lot of use. But those appear to be standing up to a beating. I like the Meerkatsu ones also, but don't own any.

I'm currently trying to get some of my own rashguards off the ground out here. Tricky process.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take for each of your belt progressions? How many times a week did you train? Did you have to take a break half way through a belt due to other commitments or money, it's an expensive past time, or just feel like taking a break? And also how good were you? Were you beating 90% of white belts when you were promoted to a blue or closer to 50%?
    I think it took me about 2.5 years, but I had some time off in there while I was away or traveling etc. Usually 2 times a week, rarely 1 or 3. 90 ,om sessions. 5 times a week for 2 hours would see you progress very fast.

At that point I was beating (although I dislike phrasing it like that) all the white belts bar a one or two that had been there longer but never consistently enough in the Gi to grade. I'd give a lot of the blues a hard time, and occasional catch a sub on a purple.

Competition performance is a better indicator than gym sparring. At my last comp as a white belt I won 6 out of 7 matches by submission.

Advertisement