Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

• 22-04-2015 5:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought it might be an idea to have a general thread for international cricket series that don't have the interest to deserve threads of their own.

Bangladesh have just hammered Pakistan three times in a row, 79 runs, 7 wickets and now by 8 wickets.

Nice to see Bangladesh continuing their World Cup form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Think we're seeing Bangladesh finally emerge as a consistent and good ODI team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pakistan are absolutely awful as an ODI team.

Gul finished
    Ajmal finished
    Hafeez in decline, not that he ever was that great
    Junaid never fit and speed totally down and can't swing it anymore
    Fawad seems to have brutally worked out
    Harris never converts his stats
    Irfan always injured
    Maqsood injured nearly as frequently as Irfan
    Misbah, Afridi retired
    Shezhad and Umar dropped because for discipline reasons
    ****e fielding
    Nasim nothing special, a spin bully if a trier.
    No pace all rounder bar Azam who is always injured and untested
    Where do you bat Safaraz? Not great at opening v pace.

Could be a very tough few months for them unless they find a few stars from somewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It'll be interesting to see how they do against Sri Lanka who might also be in a dodgy state after those retirements

It'll be interesting to see how they do against Sri Lanka who might also be in a dodgy state after those retirements

They desperately want and need Amir back, the current bowlers are either brittle or brittle bar Riaz who can be very inconsistent.

Its a long time away, but imagine if Pakistan had to qualify for the world cup with the associates, the TV companies and the ICC would have a fit if they were to miss out on an India v Pakistan World Cup match. :p

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/engine/match/858491.html

Pakistan were trashed in the t20. I watched some of it in the background, one of the all time worst t20 innings from Shezhad. :eek:

Their A team got trashed today as well, quite a few big hopes in that team.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/Ireland/engine/match/860397.html

They really need the test team to do something next week, think we could be seeing some very few lean years for Pakistan.

No wonder why they can't wait for Amir to come back. :eek:

• Advertisement

7 wickets and 22 balls remaining, it's amazing just how uncompetitive Pakistan are, imagine Bangladesh doing a full tour sweep :O

7 wickets and 22 balls remaining, it's amazing just how uncompetitive Pakistan are, imagine Bangladesh doing a full tour sweep :O

Rain is supposed to come in the tests luckily for them.:p

To be fair a middle order of Ali/Younis/Misbah/Shafiq/Sarfraz is pretty strong in that format if a road.

However I'd be worried about Ajmal if he plays tests, he looked very poor in the ODI stuff and if he has to bowl a long period, quite possible his action could fall apart. I know others were very suspicious after one of the games.

If he gets called again, he is done.

Pakistan fall to #9 on ICC ODI rankings. Bangladesh up to #8.

WI, Ban and Pak separated by 1 point!

If the ICC had sense they'd organise a tri series between the 3 in a neutral venue to see who gets into the Champions Trophy.

Ireland move up to #10, Zimbabwe fall to #11.

Interesting test in the end, but I wouldn't have fancied watching it, some big scores scorecard

Nothing I hate more than a massive run fest test that ends in a draw

• Advertisement

Yeah its a disgrace tbh. Test cricket has a fanbase that is dwindling sadly and they serve up a road like that? :(

Good start for Pakistan today, 323/3

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I hope there is a serious investigation into this with the ICC involved, shocking stuff

I hope there is a serious investigation into this with the ICC involved, shocking stuff

Agreed, they can't turn a blind eye to this and yeah whoever is responsible needs to be named and shamed.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-australia-2015/engine/match/810423.html

Gun test debut for Voges against the West Indies, turning and gets an awesome century, will have to do something awful not to play the Ashes now.

Hazlewood outbowled Starc first innings, its a fight between those two to play alongside Mitch and Harris for The Ashes.

West Indies look doomed already, its a team with potential, but not much experience, against a quality side like Australia, they are doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Australia have decisions to make. They couldn't fit both Starc and Hazelwood in I suppose?

Shame Voges isn't ten years younger but he has to play now. What a debut?

Is the younger Marsh that bowls fit? He should be in Watson's place surely.

Australia look good to retain the Ashes.

You'd have to drop Lyon, Harris or Mitch, so its one or the other when it comes to Hazlewood or Starc. I'd go with Hazlewood, think he is a better test bowler at this stage and has done nothing to warrant getting dropped. Starc still bowls to many four balls.

Watson will get the Ashes due to his experience in England, although you do think he may be told to focus solely on limited overs cricket if he fails.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-australia-2015/engine/match/810425.html

Yeah so Jerome Taylor has a good day, just a shame the rest of the bowlers are not good enough. I like Holder but he doesn't have enough pace to trouble the top sides in test cricket just yet, while Roach has been dire since he returned. Adamant he was one of the most under rated bowlers in tests before this year, but wow its sad to see him these days.

Permaul is average.

Don't see the Aussies not trashing them.

Don't see the Aussies not trashing them.

277 runs in the end

• Advertisement

277 runs in the end

Normally I hate curators who prepare roads, but the Aussies will have to do that as this shower are touring for Christmas best of luck preparing a pitch for them to last more than 3 days then:pac::pac:

Normally I hate curators who prepare roads, but the Aussies will have to do that as this shower are touring for Christmas best of luck preparing a pitch for them to last more than 3 days then:pac::pac:
    :pac:

Always annoys me watching the WI get mullered by top sides when the likes of us,Zim and Bangladesh are crying out for games. Realistically those sides are the level WI are at nowadays

Always annoys me watching the WI get mullered by top sides when the likes of us,Zim and Bangladesh are crying out for games. Realistically those sides are the level WI are at nowadays
    Yep, there is a real argument to be made for a two-tier test system, I guess financially the other lower countries wouldnt be happy with it, but considering how almost no one goes to the tests in WI or Zim anymore anyway it probably wouldnt make a huge difference if it was compensated by some more ODIs against the big teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's only a couple of months since the Windies finished 1 1 in a series with England. Admittedly England were poor but I still think talk of their demise because they are getting battered by Australia is harsh. The Aussies are THE form team at the moment and they could humiliate a lot of teams on their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

The Bangers continue to impress in the shorter version of the game .....

For India .... Getting hammered by Australia is one thing but to lose to Bangladesh??!!!...... Now that's a new low......Even for Indian cricket!!!!

booth70 wrote: »
    The Bangers continue to impress in the shorter version of the game .....

For India .... Getting hammered by Australia is one thing but to lose to Bangladesh??!!!...... Now that's a new low......Even for Indian cricket!!!!

Firstly, I love Rahane as a test batsman, but unless he opens in ODI cricket, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, his innings was a killer today.

Dhoni is not the player he once was either, with Srini gone he may be vulnerable, although supposedly Shastri is a Dhoni yes man.:(

Its crazy that with the IPL, India don't have a Buttler, Maxwell or even a Russell, a player who in the last 10-15 overs if they get in can cause absolute carnage. I'd like India to have a look at Hooda and Yadev in the next year or so for that role, the days of Dhoni slaughtering you at the death look gone.

Kohli needs to get out of his 2015 rut, with Dhoni and Rahane not doing much, he needs to regain his form.

Although at least Jadeja made 20 today, small steps and all that. :eek:

Oh and Mohit Sharma is a proper Dhoni pick, you wont be winning much with him.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Dhoni has to go and retire...or come up the order...he is of no use at number 5

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »
    Dhoni has to go and retire...or come up the order...he is of no use at number 5

I think he should bat at four, I'd love to blend some of the younger IPL hitters with one eye on the world cup, heck if you don't try them now 3 and a half years away from it when will you?

Today's win also means Pakistan are nearly certain to miss out on the champions trophy in 2017, so not an awful day for India:pac:

Advertisement