Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Man's Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Burgo wrote: »

- "You will be able to fly endlessly" inspired by minecraft videos where players walk infinitely in one direction

- Players start on individual planets seeded on a Galactic rim, with an impetus to journey toward the center

- "A Malevolent Force drives the world" more to be revealed in the future.

- "Nobody is going to ask you to find their 3 missing space chickens on 3 different planets." Dev is not a fan of 'questing'

So it looks like there will be some story and gameplay tuned to players staying relatively within the galaxy but players will in theory be able to journey off into deep space. From what they're hinting at about the gameplay though, it will be some time before players can upgrade a ship that is capable of surviving an intergalactic journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I wonder if they'll allow for mod support, if they can provide a solid base... what the PC community could do with it could make it incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Magill wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll allow for mod support, if they can provide a solid base... what the PC community could do with it could make it incredible.

Yeah, it feels like a game that could simply explode with the right amount of modding support. I guess it would depend on what the 4-person team can squeeze in, and whether their publisher stipulates any restrictions. I'm too lazy to google, who's releasing this?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, it feels like a game that could simply explode with the right amount of modding support. I guess it would depend on what the 4-person team can squeeze in, and whether their publisher stipulates any restrictions. I'm too lazy to google, who's releasing this?
    They haven't even finalized release dates or which platform(s) it's all being released to, so that much seems up in the air. Except to say Sony scored early release exclusivity with a sneaky reach around but no word of outright exclusivity. And if they did it would see a terrible disturbance felt on the internet: like suddenly thousands of old joysticks screamed out in agony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Overheal wrote: »
    They haven't even finalized release dates or which platform(s) it's all being released to, so that much seems up in the air. Except to say Sony scored early release exclusivity with a sneaky reach around but no word of outright exclusivity. And if they did it would see a terrible disturbance felt on the internet: like suddenly thousands of old joysticks screamed out in agony.

Its been confirmed for PC and then Sony nabbed console exclusivity only

The Giantbomb guys had them on their Day1 wrap up show last night.

Some very interesting stuff came out. Basically they have written this AI that just goes out and visits planets for them and makes GIFs that they then collect in a massive image collage so they can get a visual of the diversity of the planets that their procedural stuff is pumping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I've been keeping half an eye on this since that first amazing trailer. I am slightly wary though - what we've seen so far is more an amazing tech demo than a game per se. I'm still not sure just what the actual gameplay is. And that might be the most challenging part of all.

Basically, I don't want another Battlecruiser 3000AD.

Reekwind wrote: »
    I've been keeping half an eye on this since that first amazing trailer. I am slightly wary though - what we've seen so far is more an amazing tech demo than a game per se. I'm still not sure just what the actual gameplay is. And that might be the most challenging part of all.

was that the one with the 40 page manual that used up the whole keyboard and still made no sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Reekwind wrote: »

Whoa, let's not make hasty comparisons. Even if it's a tech demo, it's shown working collision detection and a nice lack of inexplicable crashes so it's miles ahead of BC 3000AD. In fairness, nobody wants another of those. Even one was at least a dozen too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Spore started off promising.

End product didn't turn out as everyone had hoped. Zero depth. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This seems more of a chillout, escape game like Flower rather than a mission based game. It seems to me the idea is to just explore random generated worlds on the fly. Not a bad thing but not what most people are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This seems more of a chillout, escape game like Flower rather than a mission based game. It seems to me the idea is to just explore random generated worlds on the fly. Not a bad thing but not what most people are thinking.

Some of the videos showed resources in the world to be collected, while I'd be fine without some epic story it does look like there'll be some depth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Spore started off promising.

End product didn't turn out as everyone had hoped. Zero depth. :/

Indeed. Some wariness is prudent here. While I've been impressed like everyone else and I do love space games.....what have we actually seen? What is there to actually do in this world?

In the footage they've released we have seen a guy walking around, get into a ship and fly into space. Several times.

We've also seen that asteroid getting shot into debris several times. That's cool and all, but I'd hope there is more to the game than that and they seem quite enamoured with that "trick".

I'm not getting down on it, but I think people need to be cautious and keep their expectations in check. You brought up Spore and that is a perfect example. Go back and watch some early demo's of that game. It looked incredible. The scope was just mind boggling. What we got in the end was very, very shallow.....and that was a team much bigger and better funded than this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Sarky wrote: »
    Whoa, let's not make hasty comparisons. Even if it's a tech demo, it's shown working collision detection and a nice lack of inexplicable crashes so it's miles ahead of BC 3000AD. In fairness, nobody wants another of those. Even one was at least a dozen too many.
    Let's be clear: I'm not accusing NMS of being a buggy mess (which would be a bit premature) or having a crazed lead developer. But we have been here before with space games that have promised the sky (pun unintended) and failed to deliver. The idea of piloting a ship and then getting out to explore a planet is very much in line with what Derek Smart was promising two decades ago. Sometimes the scope of the game is just too big.

Spore is another good example that's been mentioned. You can have a great concept and great technology but without a great core game mechanic they're not worth much. The world of NMS looks great but what will we, as the player, actually be doing in it? For me that's the big outstanding question.

I would advise people check out the Giantbomb day one wrap up. They have the main guy, who is Irish, talking quite a bit about what the plans are and what they hope to achieve gameplay wise.

I know giantbombs humour is not everyones cup of tea, still a good watch as they also have Palmer Lucky from Occulus on for the same segment

Skip to the 30 minute mark of this video which is where it starts

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/537348828

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Needs more space marines! :pac:

No seriously it looks great, as a Stargate fan: yes, gimme.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I would advise people check out the Giantbomb day one wrap up. They have the main guy, who is Irish, talking quite a bit about what the plans are and what they hope to achieve gameplay wise.

I know giantbombs humour is not everyones cup of tea, still a good watch as they also have Palmer Lucky from Occulus on for the same segment

Skip to the 30 minute mark of this video which is where it starts

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/537348828

- Sean mentions when he first worked on the original Burnout, that team was only 10 people, and that was considered a large team for its day. Also that for core development Criterion still runs 10 man teams.

- Everyone at panel as ****faced as everyone else that small team steals as much attention as 500-man battallion sized devs running around modeling faces for french peasants.**

- No, I have never played Assassins Creed. I'm sure its fun.

- He details the AI-run servers that actually operate "players" that travel to planets in the game environment and capture animated .gifs to survey the generated world. That way the team can determine "The algorithm generates too many blue skies," etc.

- The fact that the team from No Man's Sky was sitting across the panel from the Oculus Rift guy, should make you excited. You know they talked. GiantBomb guy at 1:03:30 implies it too :) Sean mentions he actually received an Oculus Dev kit at one stage and tinkered: he put a gaming laptop in his backpack and ran around the office playing games, and posting vines about it. Oculus told him to stop (aka cease and desist) because it looked silly and dangerous. lol. "It's a good thing they sent that email because I was just about to tweet: 'If you die in Oculus you die in real life.'"

- Hello Games is so Indie they couldn't obtain the backstage pass at E3 to show off their game :) they did it from a hotel room instead.

- Kirby: go to 58:00 in the video. Your question is posed directly, then answered. They are still vague about the combat impetus/back story but exploration mechanics are all in the works etc. they aren't going to prescribe how to play though.

- I want to be an agreissive galactic botanist

- Oculus: "I play GTA V and when players see each other they automatically shoot each other." Interested to see how players react in NMS when death has real consequences (ships, currency, etc)

- Oculus re: Morpheus: "Having someone else in the 'space' is exciting because it means you actually are on to something, instead of saying 'this is the next big thing!' when you're the only one doing it, it just felt strange" anticipates more people entering VR and getting it to catch on.

*paraphrasing heavily

Yesterday, GamesIndustry International published an interview with Ubisoft Reflections' managing director Pauline Jacquey, whose studio is contributing to Watch Dogs' development. The big takeaway from the interview, as NeoGAF quickly picked up on, is the casual discussion of team sizes for modern AAA games.

According to her, a typical open world action game from Ubisoft can require between 400 and 600 people, and next-generation development may push this ceiling even higher for companies across the board. Ubisoft Reflections, which represents roughly one-third of the entire Watch Dogs team, currently has 90 people on the project. Do the math and you get 270 people, and that number is still growing.

http://www.destructoid.com/aaa-game-development-teams-are-too-damn-big-247366.phtml

- Oculus: "I play GTA V and when players see each other they automatically shoot each other." Interested to see how players react in NMS when death has real consequences (ships, currency, etc)
    In DayZ and Arma, there are real consequences. People will always kill each other.....

....unless there is a consequence for the killer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

He details the AI-run servers that actually operate "players" that travel to planets in the game environment and capture animated .gifs to survey the generated world.

Should use .webm, they'd get better quality and would process quicker with smaller file size.

• Advertisement

In DayZ and Arma, there are real consequences. People will always kill each other.....

....unless there is a consequence for the killer. :cool:

I'd rather it was a player driven system of reward and consequence, bounties for instance.

Varik wrote: »
    I'd rather it was a player driven system of reward and consequence, bounties for instance.
    That just makes it more 'shoot on sight' though.

A system were killing makes you weaker and interaction makes you stronger is what I'd love.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A system were killing makes you weaker and interaction makes you stronger is what I'd love.

You don't want to force a morality on the players either though. Too restrictive.

You don't want to force a morality on the players either though. Too restrictive.

It could all be pointless as the game could be sparse on the gameplay features, but for this type of game we all mostly want the same things trading, exploring, and piracy. A small team is limited in scope but more easily able to adapt the direction of their project.

Maybe reputation.

But a real loss and risk from combat would be extremely exciting, compared to most single player games where you can always reload.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's quite a few huge 'space sims' being made at the moment (Elite Dangerous etc) that will provide all the interstellar politics and conflict anyone could need. But part of me really hopes No Man's Sky is brave enough to focus almost entirely on exploration. Something one can casually drop into and discover something new and exciting without the fear of pirates chasing you down. A game about the joy of discovery - taking the Journey or Dear Esther models of design and putting them on a different scale entirely, in a universe that is constantly expanding.

Of course, if there's meaningful goals or missions or dynamic community features that are well designed I won't be complaining. But maybe keep that separate for those who want to pursue them, and allow others to travel at their leisure. To me there's something very exciting about the potential a game defined by its freedom and generosity, a game that's not a slave to traditional goals or objectives. Instead, trust the player to be interested in the game's secrets, sights and insights. If they are interesting enough, I really think the game doesn't need the depth of EVE or Star Citizen. It doesn't need to be a game that will keep people occupied for 1,000 hours and develop its own economy - instead be all about the simple joys of discovering a galaxy far, far away.

I feel like the available NPCs they're alluding to will drive cooperative play while fringes/rogues will probably have the odd prick acting the pirate. There is always the odd prick acting the pirate.

And thats when you place a bounty on the prick that blows up your botany ship :)

Am seeing some worrying talk going around how they are no longer mentioning a PC release and are specifically dodging the question when asked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

VinLieger wrote: »
    Am seeing some worrying talk going around how they are no longer mentioning a PC release and are specifically dodging the question when asked
    The deal will be timed exclusivity and as part of it, they'll be discouraged from talking about its availability on other platforms. It's fairly common and certainly nothing to worry too much about. :)

They also wouldn't dare mention that Sony more than certainly gave them a significant stipend to continue their development for selling the Playstation-first rights.

I sincerely doubt PC exclusion. If they did, it would be enough to boost console sales though, I guarantee it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this not coming to XB1 at all? I know Sony have it first but is it the only console that's getting it?

Advertisement