Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorist fails test for 12th time, despite driving for 45 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The standard of driving on the roads is appalling. Anything that can improve it might be worth a try

Seeing as you'd already have a licence there'd be nothing to stop you being taken on a motorway. Life time ban for sitting in middle lane or crawling along at 60K

Well then fix the test then, having tests every 10 years for drivers just wouldn't be feasible, theres a waiting list for people just getting their license now ffs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

That report is a disgrace..more x's then sense.

213973.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

When I lived in England, my neighbour passed her test on the 22nd attempt. She gave me a lift back from town once just after she passed. She was as good a driver as anyone else I've come across.

Some people just go to pieces when taking tests. I wonder if a system of continuous assessment is the way to go. A single practical test strikes me as being a good way of ensuring that a lot of people take several attempts to pass, thereby generating more money for everyone except the poor potential driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

gufnork wrote: »
    When I lived in England, my neighbour passed her test on the 22nd attempt. She gave me a lift back from town once just after she passed. She was as good a driver as anyone else I've come across.

Some people just go to pieces when taking tests. I wonder if a system of continuous assessment is the way to go. A single practical test strikes me as being a good way of ensuring that a lot of people take several attempts to pass, thereby generating more money for everyone except the poor potential driver.

Can I get 23? Anyone got 23? 22 going once...
    (Obviously still hope for that guy:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It is obscene and wrong!
    In Germany I enrolled in a driving school and first had to pass my theory test before being let near a car. Then I would do a set minimum number of lessons, ONLY in a dual controlled car WITH a qualified, licenced instructor and only EVER in the context of a driving lesson.
    Then I did my test, failed and had to do a certain minimum amount of lessons extra before being allowed to resit my test. Passed this time (phew!) and then and only then was I allowed to sit in a car on my own and drive.
    And I was still under probation. Had I gotten any points (which I did) I would have to do a refresher course with assessment at the end that I was fit to drive (which I was, phew again!).
    Had I sat in my car with my dad and drove around with him giving me "lessons" I would have been had fro driving without licence and insurance, and he would have been had for allowing a person without a licence being in control of a car.
    THAT is how that is done, Mr Heffernan would have forced to pass his test or get very well acquainted with public transport.
    The German system makes you appreciate the privilege of being allowed to drive, rather than moan about the fact that someone wants to take away your God given entitlement to be on the road.
    HOW IS THAT DIPSTICK DRIVING???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looked nearly the same for me in Poland 13 years ago when I was doing my licence.
    First theory lessons with driving school. Then after than my driving school would do a theory test to check if I know the rules, before they could let me in the car.
    After that 30 hours of lessons with an instructor in dual-control car.
    And after that a driving test in official driving test centre which consisted of theory test and driving test.
    Only drawback is that tests were always done in the city, therefore no one was really checked how they can drive on country roads or motorways. I think this was changed since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

To be fair, there are only 12 or 13 grade 2 errors there - he was closer than some might think to actually passing. Looks to me like he never got a lesson in his life, though. He might be surprised to learn all the stuff he's not doing correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Its way too easy to pass the test in this country, there should a refresher test for full time drivers every few yrs and it might just get rid of the retards that drive in this country. Religion should be got rid of in school and driving education should be brought in to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭lau1247

Everyone I know on a learner permit drives alone..no issues one girl driving a year before me still hasn't passed (driving since 04)...she went to do her test recently and said "I don't care, just need to do it to get another permit"...beggars belief

The minds boggles.. if she make any good attempt at it she might save a good bit on the old insurance and applying for tests..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yes, you also get a tub of this free when you go to pay for the lessions:
    5a7eff9bfcedbe7cc0da926b96fce498

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wasn't there a licensing amnesty anyway back in the 80s ?

You might have to pay for lessons in germany, but insurance is a fraction of what it is here. My mate paid around €1500 to do all the lessons and tests for his motorbike over there, but when he got his first bike, a 650cc enduro style bike, insurance cost him €70. At the same time I was paying €2100 for insurance on a 125cc that would barely do 55mph.
    I'd happily pay for the licence if it meant a better quality of driver and much cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

galwaytt wrote: »
    But the Irish test - an 'NCT' for drivers - isn't a driving skills test at all. It's merely being able to demonstrate your ability to do what you're told. Driving skills, per se, don't come into it.

The test is verifying that you can competantly operate a car, have you the skills to get into any car on your own and drive off without posing a risk to other road users. It marks the begining of really learning to drive rather than the end. I don't know about others, but when I get into an unfamilair car, I revert to something akin to the driving test style until I get a feel for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You need to renew your licence every 10 years. IMO every driver should have to resit the test at least as often

Don't be giving that Varadkar fellar any ideas. He will scream "Safety" but rub his dirty filthy hands all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

2Scoops wrote: »
    To be fair, there are only 12 or 13 grade 2 errors there - he was closer than some might think to actually passing. Looks to me like he never got a lesson in his life, though. He might be surprised to learn all the stuff he's not doing correctly.
    4 marks for observation moving off, so most likely never checked his blindspot. Had he done that he would have been only one fault away from a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cienciano wrote: »
    You might have to pay for lessons in germany, but insurance is a fraction of what it is here. My mate paid around €1500 to do all the lessons and tests for his motorbike over there, but when he got his first bike, a 650cc enduro style bike, insurance cost him €70. At the same time I was paying €2100 for insurance on a 125cc that would barely do 55mph.
    I'd happily pay for the licence if it meant a better quality of driver and much cheaper insurance.

I was joking. :pac:

But you can do the driving license in a one week intensive course, costs 3500 euros. Mate in work did it a few months ago.

Missus is doing her Dutch license now, it'll cost her around 2400 in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Is there any way someone with a full license can do the test, just for kicks.

I'd like to see how I'd get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Are you happy to go back to a Provisional should you fail? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

It is indeed ridiculous, that shows how driver teaching system is wrong. I think thats is the right way getting driving license in Germany. , how was mentioned .

Just for information, i know in Soviet Union times, to get driver license, students had to know car components and how they build, like how build is engine, whats common problems, and how fix . My father did it, he never had difficulties fix car , as he did that course. these days he getting lazy, goin to garage to do some heavy stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Tallon wrote: »
    Are you happy to go back to a Provisional should you fail? :p

LOL no, but it might but to bed some of the excuses about how the test was easier when I done it from the OH. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

That is not to say a licence means you can drive. Most idiots I see on the road do not have L plates up. As I've said before I passed a driving test that did not involve going about 60 km/h FFS

You need to renew your licence every 10 years. IMO every driver should have to resit the test at least as often

Most L drivers unaccompanied dont display L plates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

corktina wrote: »
    Most L drivers unaccompanied dont display L plates

They would be asking to be pulled over if they did. Would be like a man walking into the ladies rest room to take a dump. You shouldn't do it, but if you do, don't get seen doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ring a driving school, I'm sure they'd be happy to charge you €70 to drive around with you for an hour and fill out a test form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry, just seen this.

I saw the headline in the Echo tonight and cracked up laughing! He's well known for this crap in Mayfield. And NO Mr Heffernan is not a safe driver. Seen him 'in action' enough times to pull over when I see him! :eek:

Ring a driving school, I'm sure they'd be happy to charge you €70 to drive around with you for an hour and fill out a test form.

Or say you are a free-lance writer, writing an article for a well-known website doing important research. Promise them a plug and I'm sure they'll let you have a go!:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cienciano wrote: »

You might have to pay for lessons in germany, but insurance is a fraction of what it is here. My mate paid around €1500 to do all the lessons and tests for his motorbike over there, but when he got his first bike, a 650cc enduro style bike, insurance cost him €70.

When was that, I wonder ?

I was talking to someone yesterday, from Leverkeusen, and his insurance on a Laguna there is a lot more than it is here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are many people like this lad still driving everyday.

I knows a lady that has failed 19 times now. She has no intention of passing. Every 2 years she applies for a test, gets the fail cert and then renews her provo licence. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If he's driving that long how come he didn't get a licence during the amnesty in the late 70s'/Early 80s' ?????

The amnesty only applied to people who had applied for a driving test and were on the waiting list.

They didnt hand out a licence to everyone that had a provisional, despite popular opinion and bar stool talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

There are many people like this lad still driving everyday.

I knows a lady that has failed 19 times now. She has no intention of passing. Every 2 years she applies for a test, gets the fail cert and then renews her provo licence. Rinse and repeat.

should be two strikes and you're out!

+1000 on that!
    It seems a lot of people just can't be arsed and/or deliberately taking the piss.
    Of course if you told them they can't drive, there will be uproar from the "I am entitled to drive!" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

thats what i said too!

the first time you might be nervous fair enough or get a bad instructor, but if you dont get it the 2nd time there is no excuse,

(from a driver who got it perfect the first time around) :)

*smugness* :pac:

to be fair what ever about the rest of the country the attitude to driving here in Cork is atrocious the likes of the above (and worse) are so common its a scarce wonder these people aren't involved in crashes (although i suspect some cause them while not being directly involved) at the very least he is doing tests,

a woman in her 50's i know of, is driving around a cork suburb with no tax, no insurance (because she hasn't got a licence) and hasnt been stopped once because she never leaves the suburb! :mad:

another one is so blind she would run you over before seeing you, but is still driving with her licence she got years ago and just renews.

and these are just the two i know of, imagine how many more like them are out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

If after 5 attempts, you don't pass, you must drive at all times with a fully licenced driver. Make them put a special sign on their car so cops know.

If after say 8 attempts you fail with more than 10 second degree faults, your out! No driving. Allow them to apply once a year but they can't drive until they pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oooh, harsh!!

For the record, I failed my test FIVE times, before passing on the sixth attempt. Nothing wrong with my driving. My instructor couldn't understand why I kept failing. I drove beautifully before the test, and after. Just the bit in the middle I couldn't do! :p. Used to fall apart with nerves...

Quick word with my lovely pharmacist in London who recommended Bach's Rescue Remedy. Day of my test, it was over 27 degrees in London, and had a stinking migraine (stress induced). Couldn't be arsed as I thought I'd fail again. Threw on a pair of shorts and vest, put on some old loafers I used to practice in and off I went. Examiner asked me to do a reverse park :eek:. Couldn't get in reverse gear. :eek::eek:. Thought 'Ah **** it, I've failed, so might as well get this over with. Threw the car in gear, and went straight back!!

When I was told I'd passed, you could hear the screams all over the car park! :D

Advertisement