Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Bodacious wrote: »
    dovea bull video... I would definitely like to use that kilmoney Bruce KCE

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQloUVTBNW0&feature=youtube_gdata_

tis good to see that they are adding videos of them, the belgian ai companys used to do it ,
    yea the blonde looks good on it, i was dissappionted with the charo though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Dovea Bulls -
    BBQ looks the job, doesn't he? A lot of muscle for an easy calving Belgian Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

flatout11 wrote: »
    dovea bull video... I would definitely like to use that kilmoney Bruce KCE

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQloUVTBNW0&feature=youtube_gdata_

tis good to see that they are adding videos of them, the belgian ai companys used to do it ,
    yea the blonde looks good on it, i was dissappionted with the charo though

yeah it's nice touch to see them from different angle , them moving etc

the other picture I saw of KCE he wasn't shaved and looked fierce fancy, he has some muscle though... Just thought in other picture he looked taller or maybe yer man in video is 6 ft 8" !!

pakalasa wrote: »
    Dovea Bulls -
    BBQ looks the job, doesn't he? A lot of muscle for an easy calving Belgian Blue

I thought that Pak, he is as wide as a truck behind him!! I can't get dovea but he is a right lump of a bull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Figerty

Was at the mart today.. Got good prices. One major plus was a few farmers bought from me specifically because they know the cows are AI bred and their calves are from an AI bull.

I don't have enough cattle to run a bull. It does mean I have a big spread in calving dates which is the down side.

The best one a 400kg, 11 month old, weanling bull made €1100. While an ok black CHX heifer at 240 kg made €645. She was too smart for her own good at opening gates and ducking under the electric fence to stay! I kept the two best heifers for breeding over the last few years and it's begining to pay off.

The AI bull was ODI in the main. Doesn't have to be a spectacular animal; just a good make with potential for growth. I'm not in to big pulls and broken calving jacks!

• Advertisement

I thought that Pak, he is as wide as a truck behind him!! I can't get dovea but he is a right lump of a bull

Ya, I use Munster Ai, myself. It would be great to see a video of the bulls they have. You can see alot in those videos. That BBQ is a great walker too, for such a heavily muscled bull.

Ya, I use Munster Ai, myself. It would be great to see a video of the bulls they have. You can see alot in those videos. That BBQ is a great walker too, for such a heavily muscled bull.

is it me or was the Angus particularly big bull too! And wasn't the other unusually marked blue very tall growthy lookin blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I can't get dovea but he is a right lump of a bull

Great link! I didn't think such a thing existed.
    I'm impressed too by a couple of them. We don't really use Dovea either (although a technician lives very locally). However, I have bought straws off them. If you like a bull why not order a few straws and have your own AI man carry them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

that angus is a cracker alright. The blonde is impressive though he must be a bit giddy if they have to use the staff to put manners on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

is it me or was the Angus particularly big bull too! And wasn't the other unusually marked blue very tall growthy lookin blue[/Quote]

Ringfort Cormac is the unusually marked bb bull. nice animal. thought bb HDX looked goog too.
    I didn't recognise bruce since he got the hair shaved!!!!!!!!!!
    great idea, hope more ai companies follow suit- good to get a look at a bull in motion etc. can be hard to judge by posed pictures in catalogues etc!!

• Advertisement

They may get in a chap that's, lets say, 'vertically challenged' to lead out the bulls.
    It would surely make them look bigger!:D

Haha Sorry, a COW!
    She is a charolais,She had a good first calf.
    Id settle for charolais,belgian blue or limousin.

What did you put on her as a maiden and how did she manage?

is it me or was the Angus particularly big bull too! And wasn't the other unusually marked blue very tall growthy lookin blue

Ringfort Cormac is the unusually marked bb bull. nice animal. thought bb HDX looked goog too.
    I didn't recognise bruce since he got the hair shaved!!!!!!!!!!
    great idea, hope more ai companies follow suit- good to get a look at a bull in motion etc. can be hard to judge by posed pictures in catalogues etc!![/QUOTE]

Hi Pat,

Think you and i discussed Bruce last year,, did you use him in the end? I must chat my ai man in arranging a few straws into his tank

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

FL25
    Anyone use him and how did they get on with him?

Also has anyone used Panda?

Might as well add HCA to that list too...:D
    I used him on a hefier there recently.
    I was told FL22 is now gone.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

FL25 is as close a bull to ROX as you'll get. Fantastic muscle.

No HCA calves on the ground yet and I have seen no Panda calves yet

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

FL25 is as close a bull to ROX as you'll get. Fantastic muscle.

No HCA calves on the ground yet and I have seen no Panda calves yet

Is fl25 that good he looked like a bit short in the pic and not too extreme

Might as well add HCA to that list too...:D
    I used him on a hefier there recently.
    I was told FL22 is now gone.:mad:

What about Ozeus (OZS)? Looks a natural replacement for FL22 if he's gone.

mallethead wrote: »
    FL25
    Anyone use him and how did they get on with him?

Neighbour has a great heifer weanling kept out of him, real muscley calf. he good on the milk front too isnt he... best limousin calves i saw this year out of munster/progressive were FL25 and CVV

• Advertisement

I was going to use Fl25 and Panda
    I have a nice simx cow she's about ten and was hoping to breed a replacement heifer from her ,one of the quiet cow always rears a second calf for me , don't want to lose the breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

[Quote=Bodacious;

Hi Pat,

Think you and i discussed Bruce last year,, did you use him in the end? I must chat my ai man in arranging a few straws into his tank[/Quote]

Hi Bodacious,

indeed we did discuss Bruce. no I didn't use him after- ai lad had none in the pot for the cow I was going to try him out on. used a SIMM (newry) on her instead, (hoping for a heifier calf). I probably chickened out to be honest, reliability figures for calving etc were low at the time.

always liked the look of him though and the video has only added to those first impressions!!!!!! lovely animal!!!!

I wonder would the Simmental x Blonde be a good cow. Blondes are poor enough for milk and fertility, according to ICBf figures anyway. Cross then to a BB for those shapey weanlings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

I wonder would the Simmental x Blonde be a good cow. Blondes are poor enough for milk and fertility, according to ICBf figures anyway. Cross then to a BB for those shapey weanlings.
    my very first heifers that i bought were blondes off sim cows,i think there were 8 in the bunch only have 2 left,the rest did not do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

Bizzum wrote: »
    What did you put on her as a maiden and how did she manage?
    I put FL22 in her as a maiden and the calf slipped out,great length.

I put FL22 in her as a maiden and the calf slipped out,great length.

Up the ante on her a bit so, but not too much. I would go Lim again.
    No great rush, I would not consider a cow mature until she's on her 3rd calf.
    Plenty of time to breed a show calf yet!

leg wax wrote: »
    my very first heifers that i bought were blondes off sim cows,i think there were 8 in the bunch only have 2 left,the rest did not do the job.

Was there any pattern as to the 6 that didn't cut the mustard?

Up the ante on her a bit so, but not too much. I would go Lim again.
    No great rush, I would not consider a cow mature until she's on her 3rd calf.
    Plenty of time to breed a show calf yet!
    Ya, good advice there. You'll get a better feeling for her then, after the next calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Was there any pattern as to the 6 that didn't cut the mustard?
    no just no muscle,and some did not go back in calf ,they were big animals to have around the place,the black ones are stil here,black blondes oh yea,give it to me baby.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

Hello,
    I have an average sized charolais heifer with extreme muscle,shape and width.
    She is the best animal we ever had on this farm.
    The thing is i want a show calf out of her but it would be a shame to see her not go back in calf if I used a hard calving Bull.
    She is a second calver.
    She is a show quality animal,but we just didnt bother,we thought we would get showcalf's out of her.
    P.S.
    Bulls on Progressive Genetics
    Thanks

i have a couple of 2nd calvers like this i gave them the angus bullhttp://www.munsterai.ie/siredata.php?id=AYR&type=beef and tha calfs came a sweet golden colour. and 3 of them were heifers and i tink crossed wit the right bull like BBQ then u wud have show calfs. :)

Advertisement