Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday morning telly

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kalina
    I remember that, good show. They changed it after a season or 2, to Pajo and the Salty Frog- that was a boat wasn't it?
    They changed it to The Whole Shebang first (Christy Moore was there for a last song on Pajo's junkbox). I think the Salty Frog thing was a show during the week (or else it was after I was far too old to watching)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

I think i'm the only one that remembers this, as anyone i've asked doens;t remmebr it.... but VOLTRON!! Remember it, with the lions that formed together to form voltrol, similar to ..erm...Power rangers. Except, ya know a cartoon and , good...

Other greats included
    Pole Position
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and of course
    Ulysees

Hell yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by jester77
    Any of you remember MASK

Yep, remember it well. Loved that cartoon and I actually have the theme music on my PC here. Great cartoon.
    Originally posted by jester77
    ... plus I fancied the girl that used to present it with Timmy Mallet and some other dude, think her name was Machala Strachan, could be wrong...

Nope, you're right, it was Machala (sp?) Strachan as far as I can remember and you weren't the only one who fancied her, mate. ;) She was bloody gorgeous. And, if I remember correctly, she used to present "The Hitman And Her" with Pete Waterman. Remember that? The late-night programme on UTV where they'd go around to different nightclubs around the UK.
    Originally posted by malico
    I think i'm the only one that remembers this, as anyone i've asked doens;t remmebr it.... but VOLTRON!! Remember it, with the lions that formed together to form voltrol, similar to ..erm...Power rangers. Except, ya know a cartoon and , good...

Yep, I remember watching that on (I think it was) The Children's Channel many moons ago. A friend of mine had the Voltron toy with all the seperate lions that attached together to make the Voltron figure. Damn cool it was too. When the Power Rangers came on the scene a few years ago I couldn't believe it. The most blatant (and completely crap!) rip-off of Voltron imaginable. They should have just left it as a cartoon instead of trying to turn it into a live-action show with crappy Japanese action sequences.

Now, I know they've recently released new, updated versions of Transformers, He-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I wonder if they could update Voltron and M.A.S.K.? Actually, maybe it's better they don't. Maybe they should just leave the classics alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

AH yes, how could I forget about MASK and Ulysees, they used to keep me entertained for hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings, I think there are still some of those sets where you get to colour in the pictures with crayons lying around the house from way back in the day (I think it's a MASK one). Bring back cartoons like Ulysees I say, ah how I miss watching shows like that, kinda nice not having to worry about work, bills etc, etc, etc.
    Also was into Thundercats, Danger Mouse, Transformers (plus the Transformers rip-off cartoon Gobots) ... The were the good days oh yeah, and of course He-man ... cant leave hime out...

Thundercats was one of my fave shows really, I loved watching it, used to have the theme tune on the computer but had to reformat so lost the lot :mad: Dangermouse was a must for all kids to watch really, but does anyone actually KNOW what that white thing Baron Greenback was always holding and stroking ACTUALLY was????
    They have made remakes of both Transformers and He-Man now, I think He-Man looked better before they remade the series tbh, but then you could say the same for any of the cartoons that were remade at later dates really.....

BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL CARTOONS!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 riverniallio

man everyone always remembers them but what about the lesser known classics! the visionaries was one of the best cartoons that'll ever exist! and Dino-Riders! Jayce and the wheeled warriors! and does anyone remember spartacus and the sun beneath the sea? i better stop, all thsi nostalgias getting the better of me! :D booohooooohooooooo.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭thejuggler

RTe has done a good few saturday morning shows over the years. The first (to my knowledge) was anything goes. Presenters included Aongus McAnally David Heffernan and Mark Fitzgerald (make and do expert who appeared on many of RTEs childrens tv shows)
    Then came Pajos junkbox with Rosemary Henderson and Ray Keane (I think) on puppeteering duties
    Then came Action station Saturday and Scratch Saturday with Brian Graham, Bryan Redin and Mary Kingston.

They gave up for a few years after that and the latest effort (who's name escapes me) has been running for about 3 years now.

I also remember the Fanta Roadshow Chart which was a teenage disco which used to travel aroudn the country. andy Ruane was the presenter on this later followed by Tony Fenton. TG4 have done a similar series in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

back in my day saturday morning telivion consisted of watchig the clock on the telivision and listening to that song, "i know an old lady who swallowed a fly" week in week out till somebody showed up at rte to press play. cant even remember what programs were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Anyone remember HR Puffenstuff still scares the bejesus out of me especially that witch

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Live and Kicking was the business. Talking about nowadays on Saturday morning, i once sen a programme called Dick and Dom and they went into places such as art galleries and libraries and started saying bogey. They kept saying bogey until they got progreesively louder and they get kicked out. It is absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Aw, the memories! Im not saying this cos im a bit older now, but i think that irish kids today dont have it as good as we did back in the day when it comes to irish kids programmes. I was born in 81 and I think any of yiz born around then would agree! Someone was wonderin about the professor on pajos jukebox. He was called professor knowitall and his factorama...kinda like albert einstein with a brown-haired afro! He used to "FLY" around Ireland in his hot air balloon, Id say it looks hilarious nowadays. Any of yiz remember a talking pigeon on pajos jukebox called Amelia? She spoke with a Cork accent! Wacky ****! Transport us back to those days! ;-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

[COLOR="Red"]Scrap Saturday with Angus Mc A Nally anyone?[/COLOR]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hmmm, only 1 other person has mentioned No.73! I used to love that programme!

Can't really remember much about it now other than the red door with the big numbers 73 on it.

The wide awake club and Whack a day I remember well.

Going Live was also good. Its amazing how the only thing thats aged about Philip Schofield is his hair.

Its kinda like Gary Linekar. They just went grey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

oneweb wrote:
    Whatever happened to the good ol' days of Saturday morning television?

Going Live with Philip Schofield, Sarah Greene and Gordon the Gopher has got to have been the best evar! They've been showing some clips of it lately on those TV Years programs.
    QUOTE]

Does anyone rember the morning Sarh Greene accedentilly ate Jason Donovans tonsills. They were being given away as a pize but green though the were sweets and ate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

I use to love Physiquiz with Kevo on a saturday morning.

Then the ultimate dream came though when my school was on it and I was in the audience. At the end we all got to run down and play the games but thats where I had my biggest disappointment. As soon as the credits stopped we had to clean up after ourselves. But we got a club milk and a can of coke for our efforts so not a bad days work after all. Before hand we had chips and chicken in the RTE canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I use to love Physiquiz with Kevo on a saturday morning.

Then the ultimate dream came though when my school was on it and I was in the audience. At the end we all got to run down and play the games but thats where I had my biggest disappointment. As soon as the credits stopped we had to clean up after ourselves. But we got a club milk and a can of coke for our efforts so not a bad days work after all. Before hand we had chips and chicken in the RTE canteen.

Brilliant, my school was on it too except they got club milks and 7up. Ah, the felcro balls and the frizbees! Cliona Ni Bhuchailla was the quiz master on that show...where is she now? Also Kevo disappeared after a brief stint on 'The Works!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

py2006 wrote:
    Going Live was also good. Its amazing how the only thing thats aged about Philip Schofield is his hair.

Its kinda like Gary Linekar. They just went grey!

Yeah, and Ray D'Arcy as well. Holy crap, what happened to these guys? As you say, it's like they just seemed to go grey overnight. Though, in Ray D'Arcy's case, I'm not surprised really. All those years trying to control Dustin, Zig & Zag, Zuppy, Soky and Snotser, being terrorised by Podge and fighting with Ted all the time would turn anyone grey! :D But it's funny how within such a short time after he left The Den he turned grey. As I said, it almost seemed to happen overnight. Which leads me to believe that, like Marty Whelan, he may have been dying his hair for years beforehand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

the monkey's always monkeying around
    the osmonds cartoon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tha Gopher wrote:
    I remember getting up so early sometimes for the kids shows that the BBC test card was still on and Id be staring at this picture of a girl and IIRC a balloon man playing x and o on a blackboard,just waiting for the bloody programmes to start.

...usually to the sound of an orchestral version of 'Girl from Ipanemia'.

Oh thank God! It wasn't just me! Oh thank you!

I also remember mitching off school a lot and watching the BBC and ITV's 'Programmes for Schools and Colleges'. How ironic is that.

...young boys in the park...saturday afternoon...jumpers for goalposts...isn't it....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MayoDayo

Anyone remember the Rimini riddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Last post on this thread was 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

MayoDayo wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Rimini riddle

Vaguely. I think I was a bit older when it was on. Wasn't it related to Pajo?
    Last post on this thread was 15 years ago.

Retro forum retro thread. All good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

sceptre wrote: »
    They changed it to The Whole Shebang first (Christy Moore was there for a last song on Pajo's junkbox). I think the Salty Frog thing was a show during the week (or else it was after I was far too old to watching)

I remember Christy's appearance and the song he did "he's the megastar of the whole junkyard, Pajos everybody's favour-rat".

Advertisement