Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Cooking

• 28-09-2020 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there is one of these but search isn’t throwing anything obvious at me!

So this is the time of year when I like to test out new recipes that I may or may not use for the Christmas season of cooking and baking.

This weeks one for me is https://www.skinnytaste.com/mashed-sweet-potatoes-brulee/
    My other half loves sweet potato but I don’t get on with it generally. Considering trying this with some roast chicken this week to see what it’s like. Pretty sure the kids will love it even if I don’t!

Does anyone else do this? Any ideas or suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have a couple of large sweet potatoes in the kitchen so might try that recipe myself at the weekend. Let me know what you think of it if you make it. We all like sweet potatoes and the kids never complain about extra sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

tscul32 wrote: »
    I have a couple of large sweet potatoes in the kitchen so might try that recipe myself at the weekend. Let me know what you think of it if you make it. We all like sweet potatoes and the kids never complain about extra sugar.

Will do. Likely cooking it tomorrow or Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I do this - trying out recipes ahead of Christmas.

I want to try a Red Cabbage side dish so currently looking for a recipe.

Also the kids want a Chocolate Biscuit Cake this year which is not something I have made for years so going to trial that soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have had something similar before with pecans on the top, unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Testing out sprout gratin today and a white onion and cider soup later in the week.

SusanC10.....this is the best red cabbage dish I know....throw it in oven and forget about it for a couple of hours, even better cooked the day before you need it and (honestly) it's fab cold on a leftovers sandwich......

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/life-in-the-freezer/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have had something similar before with pecans on the top, unreal.

Pecan pie is one of my favourite desserts... had it in the states and loved it. Keylime another smashing pie.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Pecan pie is one of my favourite desserts... had it in the states and loved it. Keylime another smashing pie.

I'd nearly go out on a limb and say anything that ends in 'pie' is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

washiskin wrote: »
    Testing out sprout gratin today and a white onion and cider soup later in the week.

SusanC10.....this is the best red cabbage dish I know....throw it in oven and forget about it for a couple of hours, even better cooked the day before you need it and (honestly) it's fab cold on a leftovers sandwich......

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/life-in-the-freezer/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples

Thanks for that. Good to give that a go.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

anyone got a good macaroon recipe? Damn bake off.

Loughc wrote: »

Great minds think alike.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

There's a basic one on the odlums site. Just coconut, condensed milk and egg whites. No rice paper or blitzing coconut. Dying to try it myself, they did look good, particularly the one with the mango curd.

SusanC10 wrote: »

Also the kids want a Chocolate Biscuit Cake this year which is not something I have made for years so going to trial that soon too.

I have to do that every year too. What I started doing was rolling the mix into (big) bitesize balls and then rolling in icing sugar. Just keep them in a tub in the fridge then. Easier than cutting slices every time someone fancies some.

I’ve never had red cabbage. What’s it taste like? Just no idea what to expect with this!

tscul32 wrote: »
    I have to do that every year too. What I started doing was rolling the mix into (big) bitesize balls and then rolling in icing sugar. Just keep them in a tub in the fridge then. Easier than cutting slices every time someone fancies some.

That’s a brilliant idea. I make nut balls for my kids for protein at breakfast. Must experiment with some Christmas flavourings for them too

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'd nearly go out on a limb and say anything that ends in 'pie' is good!

Is applied tart the same a the American apple 'pie'?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Emm, more intense I'd say... with added ginger, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and with loads more sugar, butter and filling. Generally made in a deep dish pie tin. Like an apple tart on steroids... A crumb topping is nice too - much yum.

Ah ha, so tart ......more tart and pie sweet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Leftovers on a sandwich is a great idea! I love red cabbage!!

I’d leave out the onion and garlic.

I’d leave out the onion and garlic.

Oh no, best part. I'd leave out the cinnamon tho... yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I’ve never had red cabbage. What’s it taste like? Just no idea what to expect with this!

Red cabbage is a must for our Christmas dinner.. I add caraway to mine and the taste and smell is delicious! Its goes great with pork

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Red cabbage is a must for our Christmas dinner.. I add caraway to mine and the taste and smell is delicious! Its goes great with pork

Completely, the smell of it alone is amazing.

Definitely use red onion with it when cooking red cabbage ourselves, it caramelises and sweetens it nicely. A bit of Garlic added is a must too IMO. Would neve dream of voluntarily adding cinnamon to any dish.

I think I may need to bow out of this thread, though that failed with the sweets thread. Bloody love red cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Tart works just as well for me as pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Fancy some macaroons today too! Haven't made them in years but when I did use rice paper in the past I never cut out the circles, you just piped onto it like parchment and when you remove them when cooked they just break off and the bit stuck to the macaroon stays stuck, you might need to break off the odd ragged piece but a lot of faffing to cut out circles and then pipe within the circles.

I think I may need to bow out of this thread, though that failed with the sweets thread. Bloody love red cabbage.

Adjust it? I’m going with healthy dishes and will skip a lot of the baking as I’m on weight loss road too but still want to experiment

Nah, I am going with the get as low as possible so I can binge at Christmas angle

DvB wrote: »
    Definitely use red onion with it when cooking red cabbage ourselves, it caramelises and sweetens it nicely. A bit of Garlic added is a must too IMO. Would neve dream of voluntarily adding cinnamon to any dish.

Oh yes....red onion is a must. The garlic in that recipe is really undetectable for people who don't like it but I add a teeny but more.

• Advertisement

Leftovers on a sandwich is a great idea! I love red cabbage!!

Ok, here's my perfect leftovers sandwich.....
    Aldi's White grinder bread:
    A smear of gravy on each slice
    Turkey
    Ham
    Stuffing
    Red Cabbage
    Bread Sauce

It's a huge sandwich, a really great St. Stephen's Day on the sofa filler.

Advertisement