Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 French Open

• 09-03-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

What do people think are the chances of this going ahead with Coronavirus?

We will be in France a that time - I was wondering where would be the best place to purchase tickets for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

You've probably already heard OP but if not, RG current postponed until September, but remains to be seen if that'll happen or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it will help Nadal slightly that there will still be 5,000 fans allowed in to Roland Garros.
    I expect he will get more of that reduced support than any other player.
    If things deteriorate in France and there are no spectators like the US Open, I think that will favour Thiem.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Murray-Wawrinka first round, poor Andy!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Seriously good draw for Djokovic, conditions will be a bit of a leveller this year but no one should beat him before the final (line person throats excluded)....and I'd fancy him to do a number on rafa in a final thus year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Murray-Wawrinka first round, poor Andy!

Aye. Wawrinka totally steamrolled him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

They are all going to be playing in overcoats by next week (apart from Nadal who will go string vest...)
    But seriousy, the long johns look stanger than the lack of a crowd at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Seems very low key so far. Mats doing his best to drum up some coverage by having a little go at Andy Murray which didn't go down that well.

Enjoying it well enough anyway, at least I can watch it on eurosport anyway which is a bonus. Serena v Pironkova has the makings of a good 2nd round battle i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tsitsipas and Rublev both win from two sets down. I'm finding it a little bit of a tough watch with no crowds, so best the bigger names don't start bombing out early. Medvedev already gone.

That Errani-Bertens match was fairly tense stuff. Errani was gone before she could even acknowledge her opponent at the end. Post match comments will be interesting to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nole and Rafa are not winning this slam!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just stuck €20 on Nadal @2.5 on bwin ... money in the bank, I usually don't bother betting on him in the French as odds are 1.00001 , but they are just throwing money away here, pity I don't have more cash to spare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

walshb wrote: »
    Nole and Rafa are not winning this slam!!!

The first half of this post is 100% true, and the second half is 100% false.

a beautiful ying and yang symmetry .. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Stan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I’ll be happy if Halep can win the French Open again.
    Swiatek starting strong.

Swiatek is just 19, she looks pretty decent. Halep gonna have to go 3 sets here i think.

Halep simply blown away that first set, hugely impressive by the pole. Question is can she maintain that level and halep will likely improve. Fascinating contest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Swiatek making it look like a training match here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This 3rd game 2nd set is huge.

Halep not playing badly, just being bossed. That will help her though, big hold.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Halep dismantled.

• Advertisement

Was a stunning performance from Swiatek, such an impressive range of shot making. Some of her volleys were outrageous. Heard it said a few times that players would struggle to hit through simona in those conditions but Swiatek managed it easily today. Just hope she can follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just stuck €20 on Nadal @2.5 on bwin ... money in the bank, I usually don't bother betting on him in the French as odds are 1.00001 , but they are just throwing money away here, pity I don't have more cash to spare!!

I got him at 13/8 just there.

Don't think this forum has ever been as quiet for a grand slam.

Anyway, that was a shocking loss from Halep, don't think anyone saw it coming. Really hope a seed actually wins and it doesn't go to some randomer. Svitolina will never have a better chance. Currently in control against Garcia, and only Krejčíková/Podoroska and Swiatek/Trevisan would stand in her way before getting to the final, it doesn't get more favourable than that.

Would love Kvitova to win it all, but she's hardly reliable. She could win the title without dropping another set or she could just as easily lose meekly to Zhang, no way of knowing.

Great to see Sinner breaking through at just 19, on the brink of defeating Zverev here. I expect Nadal will be too much in the QF's, but you never know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Halep simply wasn't allowed to show up today. Completely outclassed in all areas.

Rain delay at the moment. So glad they have the roof at RG now.

The roof coming on is manna from heaven for Thiem.

Halep was 1/8 to beat Swiatek and now Swiatek is the actual favourite to lift the title! She'd go close if maintaining that kind of quality but it's no given now there will be more focus and pressure on her.

The one I'd love to see go really deep is Jabeur, such a gritty and clever player. Sabalenka tried to muscle her off the court yesterday but she was too controlled and smart for her. Should not be underestimated, i think.

A lot of seeds gone in the Women's draw

That lowly ranked French one Trevisan is a bit of a local romantic story to make it to 1/4's

Looks like it's heading for a Nadal Djokovic final

Thiem battling in the fifth set against world number 239 Gaston

Gaston is not a bad little player (literally) but too small at 5 feet 8 to be a big force I world say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

For the sake of the tournament its good Thiem won. Otherwise Nadal will just cruise to the final. I hoped Zverev would get the chance to play Nadal in the quarters but Sacha is too inconsistent in slams. Not a surprise he didn't get that far.

• Advertisement

Trevisan is Italian, not French. Having already played qualies I can't see her going too much further, but you never know.

Surprised Gaston managed to take it to 5, went for a run after Thiem saved the two set points in the 3rd, thought it would only go one way after that. Hope we see more of him anyway.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    For the sake of the tournament its good Thiem won. Otherwise Nadal will just cruise to the final. I hoped Zverev would get the chance to play Nadal in the quarters but Sacha is too inconsistent in slams. Not a surprise he didn't get that far.

I reckon Sinner-Nadal will actually be more competitive anyway, the mental damage is probably already done to Zverev against Nadal. Plus that passive sh*te that he tends to do mostly nowadays wouldn't do much damage against Nadal.

Advertisement