Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noise From Construction Sites

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Zhane wrote: »
    Why don’t you drop in to the site, ask a builder or the site manager who the owner is and see if they’ll give you a number for them or give them your number and get them to call you. Don’t get into it with the builders, they won’t stop work useless told to by the owner. Once in touch with the Owner ,explain the situation to them. At the end of the day you’ll have to live next to these people and having a civil conversation with them is the best course of action at first. Sending in Lawyers first would not be well received and next time you wanna build something or even just having a party after 11 could lead to issues if they have a grudge.

I thought about that, Ive no idea as regards the new owner.... The problem is every bit or more-so down to the builders. They are getting X amount to do the job. The homeowner isn’t saying “lads I want you on site at 7.00”... the homeowner is telling them what they want done. Builder will come back with a quote and a timeline of how long... the builder wants to finish ASAP, incurring as little cost as possible ... I’ll probably just have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

How to you make that one out? My job has only two shifts. 7pm to 7am and 7am to 7pm. That means that 50% of the entire organisation is awake and at work at 7am. Most night staff wont be home and in bed by 7am. Most early workers will be awake at 7am, maybe not in work but awake and up.

If I was to guess or look it up, Im going to suggest that the people asleep at 7am are in a minority

I did look it up. That figure is from the last census- as I stated. If anything fewer people now will be up by 7am as so many people are working from home.

You're kind of proving my point; that people will tend to assume that their individual situation is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Strumms wrote: »
    I thought about that, Ive no idea as regards the new owner.... The problem is every bit or more-so down to the builders. They are getting X amount to do the job. The homeowner isn’t saying “lads I want you on site at 7.00”... the homeowner is telling them what they want done. Builder will come back with a quote and a timeline of how long... the builder wants to finish ASAP, incurring as little cost as possible ... I’ll probably just have to put up with it.

Tea... and headphones. it will stop in days. Dont make a big deal. Its not permanent you are not living next to a railroad.

Put it this way, soon you will have a new fully done house near you new neighbours no more work will be done on it if they are doing full fit out. It will be silence for years and years and years

MOH wrote: »
    I genuinely find this bizarre. I don't think I've ever been up at 7am to go to work. Even with an hour commute I wouldn't be up before 7.30, and in by 9.

And that's considering a typical 9-5, where with the number of places on flexitime and the like a lot of places don't start until later. My office is probably busier at 18:20 than 9:20.

Plus with a lot more people working from home at the moment, with no commute, I find it a stretch to claim that most people are awake at 7am.

Only 40% of the workforce work standard days, Other 60% work shifts. The night shift will not have hit the hay by 7am and the early shift will either have just started or be up and on the way.

Then theres people that have commitments outside of their working week. Kids, older relatives, walk the dog, hobbies, etc.

Look around at the multitude of careers out there, most have odd hours. Retail and offices not so much but hotels, bars, restaurants, entertainment, emergency services and essential repair / maintanance, medical, bins, transport and haulliers, airport and airlines, ferry and so on and so on, the newspapers and milkman. And of course bulders and construction which is a very large industry. As Ireland and mainly Dublin becomes more and more active we will become a more 24/7 society

In terms of work that is, people on days off are probable sleeping a well earned lie on which yes, being interupted sucks.

JayRoc wrote: »
    I did look it up. That figure is from the last census- as I stated. If anything fewer people now will be up by 7am as so many people are working from home.

You're kind of proving my point; that people will tend to assume that their individual situation is the norm.

Yes but you took one number and made it proof of another, that only 16% of the workforce are in work for 7am doesnt equate to only 16% being awake at 7am or even only 16% working at 7am. Its a start time. What about 6am? Or night shifts to 8am? and so......

• Advertisement

Yes but you took one number and made it proof of another, that only 16% of the workforce are in work for 7am doesnt equate to only 16% being awake at 7am or even only 16% working at 7am. Its a start time. What about 6am? Or night shifts to 8am? and so......

What? I said 365k people, only 7% of the population (I don't see what the relevance is of whether someone is employed or retired or in school) are out of the house by 7am. That is very clear.

So it is patently "early" for the vast majority of people. That is really as clear as I can make it. Your, or my, personal work situation or that of the people we know is basically irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Well it’s entirely up to you. You can get annoyed about it, say something or just wait it out, it won’t last forever.

What? I said 365k people, only 7% of the population (I don't see what the relevance is of whether someone is employed or retired or in school) are out of the house by 7am. That is very clear.

So it is patently "early" for the vast majority of people. That is really as clear as I can make it. Your, or my, personal work situation or that of the people we know is basically irrelevant

agggghh, I hate when people do that. Change what they said. This is your comment:

"365k people are out of the gaff on their way to work by 7am." followed by "the vast majority (93% of the population, or 84% of the working population) are either still in bed at that time or at least have not been up for long."

Thats your statements and those statements do not consider or reflect the amount of people already in work at 7am or getting ready to finish a night shift shortly after 7am. It does not consider the amount of people out of the house for non work reasons.

YOUR statement states that 16% of the working population are travelling to work at 7am and that every single other worker is still in bed. Thats nonsense

Only 40% of the workforce work standard days, Other 60% work shifts. The night shift will not have hit the hay by 7am and the early shift will either have just started or be up and on the way.

Then theres people that have commitments outside of their working week. Kids, older relatives, walk the dog, hobbies, etc.

Look around at the multitude of careers out there, most have odd hours. Retail and offices not so much but hotels, bars, restaurants, entertainment, emergency services and essential repair / maintanance, medical, bins, transport and haulliers, airport and airlines, ferry and so on and so on, the newspapers and milkman. And of course bulders and construction which is a very large industry. As Ireland and mainly Dublin becomes more and more active we will become a more 24/7 society

In terms of work that is, people on days off are probable sleeping a well earned lie on which yes, being interupted sucks.

Yes. And a lot of those industries have regulations on their operations in order to not adversely impact the quality of life for their neighbors.

The industry which I’ve been part of for 20 years, aviation has laws and procedures to ENSURE that noise is to a minimum, noise abatement procedures and CDA’s on approach and preferential routes are used to keep traffic away from built up residential areas.

Simply at 7am it’s not acceptable for lads to be loading up skips, drilling and all the other associated noise of vehicles coming and going. There are enough hours in the day when it’s very acceptable. 7am and just before isn’t.

Yes. And a lot of those industries have regulations on their operations in order to not adversely impact the quality of life for their neighbors.

The industry which I’ve been part of for 20 years, aviation has laws and procedures to ENSURE that noise is to a minimum, noise abatement procedures and CDA’s on approach and preferential routes are used to keep traffic away from built up residential areas.

Simply at 7am it’s not acceptable for lads to be loading up skips, drilling and all the other associated noise of vehicles coming and going. There are enough hours in the day when it’s very acceptable. 7am and just before isn’t.

Tell that to the residents living near the new runway. FYI, the airports a noisy place at night time. Personally Im used to it after living in Swords for 20 years

Your last statement, you keep stating this as if its a fact. Its not, its your opinion and that many here disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tell that to the residents living near the new runway. FYI, the airports a noisy place at night time. Personally Im used to it after living in Swords for 20 years

Your last statement, you keep stating this as if its a fact. Its not, its your opinion and that many here disagree with.

Look this fella pissed of a few of his own neighbours with his recent build. But when he did that he was right. When others are building things, he is also right.

Its a running theme.

agggghh, I hate when people do that. Change what they said. This is your comment:

"365k people are out of the gaff on their way to work by 7am." followed by "the vast majority (93% of the population, or 84% of the working population) are either still in bed at that time or at least have not been up for long."

Thats your statements and those statements do not consider or reflect the amount of people already in work at 7am or getting ready to finish a night shift shortly after 7am. It does not consider the amount of people out of the house for non work reasons.

YOUR statement states that 16% of the working population are travelling to work at 7am and that every single other worker is still in bed. Thats nonsense

Sigh. I amended my earlier statement because I had assumed people were only leaving the house to go to work. Someone else corrected me on it so I edited my statement.

The census shows that only 365k or 7% of the population have left the house by 7am. Are you happy?

listermint wrote: »
    Look this fella pissed of a few of his own neighbours with his recent build. But when he did that he was right. When others are building things, he is also right.

Its a running theme.

What neighbors were pissed off, where did I say that ? One person appealed. It was proved to be a complaint without any legal foundation so the permission was granted and completed in a manner which was respectful of our neighbors. Builders arrived at 9 am.

The work being done now I’m speaking of doesn't to my knowledge need any permission. Today they were starting just before 7am and ALL noise was done just after lunch about 2.30. That’s bollocks quite frankly, just a shower of dickheads wanting to be home and feet up by 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Let's fix the housing crisis with silent construction sites,low density development and not in my back yard.

Let's fix the housing crisis with silent construction sites,low density development and not in my back yard.

Can you quote where I or anybody is suggesting this ? Nobody is suggesting any of that. The fact you are trying to make it out that they are, is indicative of your disingenuous posting style across this forum and others. :)

Sigh. I amended my earlier statement because I had assumed people were only leaving the house to go to work. Someone else corrected me on it so I edited my statement.

The census shows that only 365k or 7% of the population have left the house by 7am. Are you happy?

Does it state that though or is that your wording? And whats your point? Its not reflective of how many people are in bed which was your original statement

What neighbors were pissed off, where did I say that ? One person appealed. It was proved to be a complaint without any legal foundation so the permission was granted and completed in a manner which was respectful of our neighbors. Builders arrived at 9 am.

The work being done now I’m speaking of doesn't to my knowledge need any permission. Today they were starting just before 7am and ALL noise was done just after lunch about 2.30. That’s bollocks quite frankly, just a shower of dickheads wanting to be home and feet up by 3.30.

What difference does 9am make? im only getting into bed at 9am after a night shift.

So is your milkman, paramedic, etc etc etc,

Its not suitabale for YOU at 7am and FOR YOU at 9am but not everyone. Why cant you get that? What suits me would be to have the work done in the evening as I will be in work or awake before going to bed. How does that work for you? Should we limit noise to say 3pm to 11pm? That works for me and my daughter who works in a bar. Doesnt work for my next door neighbour mind you considering he starts work at 3am but hey, its about what suits you and no one else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Did you not pay them to drink tea from 8 til 9?

[/quote="Strumms;114754828"]That work being done now I’m speaking of doesn't to my knowledge need any permission. Today they were starting just before 7am and ALL noise was done just after lunch about 2.30. That’s bollocks quite frankly, just a shower of dickheads wanting to be home and feet up by 3.30.[/quote]

So they're dick heads for wanting to do a day's work? You're letting the mask slip further and further.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP’s question Answered in post #2

Thread went down hill after that.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement