Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a house where to start?

• 26-09-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

My parents have said they are giving me a site to the side and back of their house to build on. I should be ready to apply for a mortgage early next year. I'm trying to find out what needs to be done

How to get the site put in my name which is probably the first thing to do? Actually I'm wondering if they can just give me a chunk of land for nothing. Wouldn't there be some sort of tax to be paid? I have two brothers also who have their own homes and they said they are ok with it, I think partly because it means one of us will be close by as my parents are aging and having health trouble already.

Then do I apply for a mortgage first and see what I can get or get an architect and plans and permission sorted and then apply for the mortgage?

I was thinking of going with timberframe but the places I've looked say they don't do land clearing, foundations or connecting to drains and water. There's currently a prefab garage that would need to be moved to make a driveway to the back where the new house would go and put it into their garden. Would it still be worth it to get a timeframe house built if I have to get a different builder to do all that first?

I have so many questions but not sure who to ask. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off, before committing to anything, have a few chats to see what is possible.

Talk to the council planner responsible for your area to see what you could get planning permission for.

With COVID-19, banks (shop around) may take a very nuanced view of particular types of lending. Find out exactly what they need.

If both of those are positive, talk to an architect or engineer (shop around) about designing a house. You can apply for planning permission before you own the site. Ask for a meaningful budget (you may need a quantity surveyor) and ask what is / isn't include in that.

The site owner and you will need solicitors (shop around). Note that both sides of a property transaction - buyer and seller - need advice from separate solicitors. Do NOT accept solicitor recommendations from the site owner.

You can get a substantial gift from your parents before Capital Gains Tax is due. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_gains_tax.html

Timber frame housing suppliers primarily do the timber frame. You will need a builder to do everything from the foundations to the painting. While getting local small contractors to do various parts of the work can be cheaper up front, it can lead to responsibility issues down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Chloedancer

That's really helpful, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Before you commit to anything you need to find out if it's possible to get planning on the site. Most councils now have guideline about planning. These give minimum road frontage required, minimum site size road clearance on exiting the house entrance etc All this depends on if the site is within urban speed limit and if public sewerage is available compared to a septic tank.

You need to find out how much your bank will lend and add this to your savings to decide on your budget.

This budget needs to cover, legal and house design fees, connection to utilities (ESB,,Water, sewerage/septic tank, level of final finish required, building certification etc).

Slava Ukrainii

First step would be to find a good architect preferably one who is familiar with the area as he will know what is and isn't possible planning wise rather than having to speak to people in the council when you have no house idea in mind.

There is local needs planning in most county's in ireland so you need to look that up as you will need to meet this.

In my own case I knew there will be no issue in getting planning so I first went to an architect and with our input he has designed the house and we have agreed on a rough site layout etc. Next step will to apply for planning. I know it is sometimes advisable to wait until after planning to transfer the site as the council may have a say in site boundaries as part of the planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Quote: my parents are aging and having health trouble already.

Might not be relevant at all, but consider converting your parents house and creating two houses in one (granny flat). Obviously will greatly depend on a huge amount of factors, but you could save a huge amount of money, your parents may like the idea...

Worth considering anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement