Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Eskie wrote: »
    Is anyone planning on having a hen party? I hadn't even thought about it, and had heard no mention until one of my friends who has postponed from 2020 said she doesn't think she'll be having a hen.

I'm curious about this too. I only ever wanted a low key hen party. E.g. a meal, some drinks, maybe an activity like karaoke or a cooking class. But even that seems like a far away dream now :rolleyes:

We've postponed until May 2021, so I'll wait until next year to decide if it's realistic/safe to go ahead with something. Even if I could meet my close friends for a meal out or a BBQ in the garden, I'd be delighted.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I'm curious about this too. I only ever wanted a low key hen party. E.g. a meal, some drinks, maybe an activity like karaoke or a cooking class. But even that seems like a far away dream now :rolleyes:

We've postponed until May 2021, so I'll wait until next year to decide if it's realistic/safe to go ahead with something. Even if I could meet my close friends for a meal out or a BBQ in the garden, I'd be delighted.

I would have been going for something low key too. I don't drink so a party weekend would just be wasted on me :) a bbq sounds lovely!
    We'll try make the best of whatever happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UnBridled

I had a great experience at LoveEllie in Cavan-the ladies couldn't do enough for us. It's true that when you know, you know. I knew it was my dress as soon as it was on me!

Same couldn't be said for The White Room in Mullingar- very conveyor belt feel, dresses were all tiiiiny sample sizes that couldn't do up and generally felt rushed by staff.

Congrats on finding your dress :)

I'm a bit anxious about looking for mine. I would like to lose about 14lb and even then will still have body image issues. The thoughts of going in to a bridal shop and seeing beautiful dresses all in tiny sizes and glamorous model like sales assistants fills me with dread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

UnBridled wrote: »
    I'm a bit anxious about looking for mine. I would like to lose about 14lb and even then will still have body image issues. The thoughts of going in to a bridal shop and seeing beautiful dresses all in tiny sizes and glamorous model like sales assistants fills me with dread :(

So was I- my dress fits me fine but will defo look better if I lose a few llbs around the gut!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UnBridled

Hen parties. God. I dunno. I think I'm too auld for a Hen. I'll be 4 months shy of 40 (vom) when I get married. My 3 maids have yet to meet each other. Maybe we will get together next summer for a few drinks. Maybe.

• Advertisement

Re the hen do....I feel terrible saying this but I really really want my big hen weekend to go ahead! I mean it goes without saying that if restrictions are in place it won't happen, which of course I'll live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Re the hen do....I feel terrible saying this but I really really want my big hen weekend to go ahead! I mean it goes without saying that if restrictions are in place it won't happen, which of course I'll live with.
    I'm the same. I would be really disappointed if we couldn't go ahead.

Looks like 100 max for the next 6 months....how are we all feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I’d completely resigned myself to 50, so if we do get the 100 I’d be delighted.

My understanding is that’s only for the current level we’re at now so if things get worse that will reduce again. So still quite hard to plan for!

allym wrote: »
    I’d completely resigned myself to 50, so if we do get the 100 I’d be delighted.

My understanding is that’s only for the current level we’re at now so if things get worse that will reduce again. So still quite hard to plan for!

We won't get 100 though- it has to include staff/photographer etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

We are currently at level 2 so max amount at weddings remains at 50 people.

This framework is for 6 months which means best case scenario we can have 100 people at a wedding in April... best case scenario. Only if we are at level 1 at that point?

Wonder how it works for people getting married in places away from where they live? A friend postponed her May wedding to December. She’s getting married in Wexford but both her and her fiancé are from Dublin and live there so most of their guests are Dublin I’d say?? If Wexford are level 1 could 100 people from Dublin make the journey to there for the wedding even if dublin is not level 1?

Wonder how it works for people getting married in places away from where they live? A friend postponed her May wedding to December. She’s getting married in Wexford but both her and her fiancé are from Dublin and live there so most of their guests are Dublin I’d say?? If Wexford are level 1 could 100 people from Dublin make the journey to there for the wedding even if dublin is not level 1?

I'd assume the restrictions are based on the level of the county where the wedding is being held. I'd say it's only an issue if there are restrictions about travelling between counties.

How does it work when getting ready at home? Say for level 2, you're allowed 50 at the wedding. But only visitors from 1-3 other households (maximum 6 people). So can I get ready at home with my family, maid of honour, photographer, make up artist etc or not?? Logically all/most people getting ready together will be spending the day together (expect maybe the makeup artist and hairdresser). It just sounds like a logistical nightmare - or am I overthinking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Californeeway

Confused!

100 at level 1.. but no idea how or when counties will get back to level 1

50 at the current level 2.. so the same for Dublin as any other county

How many at level 3..

Presumably no weddings at level 4 or 5..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

25 at level three.

No group gatherings at level 4 or 5.

On the website it says "The lower Levels will be activated when there is a low incidence of the disease, with isolated outbreaks, low community transmission".

Not sure what their definition of 'low' is but I'll be eager to see how quickly the first regional review is done and how often it might change over the next 6 months.

From my own perspective a 50 guest wedding outside of dublin still seems to be safe bet.

From the full plan, the table on page 11:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e5175-resilience-and-recovery-2020-2021-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

Weddings (regardless of venue)
    Level 1: Up to 100 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 2: Up to 50 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 3: Up to 25 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 4: Up to 6 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 5: Up to 6 guests for wedding ceremony and reception

Interesting that they says x number of guests. I wonder if they'll exclude staff.

On the website it says "The lower Levels will be activated when there is a low incidence of the disease, with isolated outbreaks, low community transmission".

Not sure what their definition of 'low' is but I'll be eager to see how quickly the first regional review is done and how often it might change over the next 6 months.

From my own perspective a 50 guest wedding outside of dublin still seems to be safe bet.

Sure lookit, at the rate it's going the whole country will have had it by next year (or at least a huge amount) so the cases will have to be lowered based on that alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

No point in getting freaked out now. Depends on the level in the county at the time.

Try not to panic when nothing is for certain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 scubie steve

Question for anyone who has had to reschedule- We are looking to rebook from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022 but the venue is telling us that our off season deal (20%) wont apply for the new date and this is a pretty big blow to our plans. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Pink11 wrote: »
    No point in getting freaked out now. Depends on the level in the county at the time.

Try not to panic when nothing is for certain yet.

When we spoke to a coupe of medium-sized wedding venues (not in Dublin) recently they were assuming it'd be 100 very soon and are taking bookings for next year for 100. Because we are predicting it will still be 50 we priced for 50 but they're saying we'd be looking at a mid-week date at those numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Another thing to be aware of is the day after wedding party. This obviously is not considered a wedding and is under different restrictions than wedding day so less numbers allowed.
    Which makes it really hard as any hoping to invite friends/family to next day who they couldn't fit on wedding numbers won't be able too.
    We moved our wedding from may this year to December this year and now to September 2021 and going ahead either way then tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

From the full plan, the table on page 11:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e5175-resilience-and-recovery-2020-2021-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

Weddings (regardless of venue)
    Level 1: Up to 100 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 2: Up to 50 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 3: Up to 25 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 4: Up to 6 guests for wedding ceremony and reception
    Level 5: Up to 6 guests for wedding ceremony and reception

Interesting that they says x number of guests. I wonder if they'll exclude staff.

My friends husband was best man at a wedding in Sligo last weekend and their maximum numbers included hotel staff/members of the band etc..

My friends husband was best man at a wedding in Sligo last weekend and their maximum numbers included hotel staff/members of the band etc..

Yeah I think that's the way most venues have been operating to date. The max number has to include venue staff and suppliers. But this new plan specifically says guests. I believe clarification is being sought on this point. It would just give couples a little bit of leeway when planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yeah I think that's the way most venues have been operating to date. The max number has to include venue staff and suppliers. But this new plan specifically says guests. I believe clarification is being sought on this point. It would just give couples a little bit of leeway when planning.

I was at one in Meath on Saturday and it was 50 guests ,
    I'm assuming its totally down to the venue until its clarified

The guidelines for the reopening of hotels has been updated recently, including the page on weddings:
    https://covid19.failteireland.ie/business-supports/business-reopening/hotels-and-guesthouses/guidelines-for-reopening/

Where it used to have a statement about 50 guests including staff/suppliers, it now states "Following updated Government Public Health measures, businesses must ensure that they implement the required measures, subject to the level of their specific region, in relation to the maximum capacity of Weddings."
    So it doesn't explicitly say that the numbers don't have to include staff/suppliers, but numbers just refer to guests on the table and that seems to be how most venues are now reading it (just judging by conversations in other online forums).

I plan to ask my venue once the dust has settled, but if they or any other venue are still toting the old line, I'd be pointing them towards the updates and asking if they've asked Failte Ireland about this recently. It just makes sense really, otherwise other businesses could be badly effect (e.g. cancel the band and just get a DJ, don't bother with live music during the ceremony and just use an ipod). And while staff/vendors are present, they don't mingle in the same way guests do, so I wouldn't think there's as much of a safety concern.

And out of interest, how was the wedding?

Just wondering about weddings with restrictions, if they feel relatively "normal" or not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

And out of interest, how was the wedding?

Just wondering about weddings with restrictions, if they feel relatively "normal" or not :/

The day its self was a great everyone enjoyed it but it was different,
    Also they had to make do with things which is not what your wedding day should be about,

I'm to get married next September but I think we will call it off,

Iv seen first hand how much stress and uncertainty there is at the moment ,The run up the day simply can't be enjoyed with the amount of unknow ,

I feel if you go ahead under restriction in a year or two when everything is back to normal you'll look back thinking I wish we could have done this or that ,

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

I feel if you go ahead under restriction in a year or two when everything is back to normal you'll look back thinking I wish we could have done this or that ,

Please don't take this the wrong way but there's no guarantee that things will be 'back to normal' in a year or two. I totally get your point re: potential regrets in the future but equally you don't want to be stuck in a cycle of postpoining-postponing-postponing for months and years on end in the hope of having the perfect wedding 'when COVID is gone'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Goose76 wrote: »
    Please don't take this the wrong way but there's no guarantee that things will be 'back to normal' in a year or two. I totally get your point re: potential regrets in the future but equally you don't want to be stuck in a cycle of postpoining-postponing-postponing for months and years on end in the hope of having the perfect wedding 'when COVID is gone'.

This is the reason we've decided to go ahead with our wedding next June no matter what. We have no idea when "normality" will resume and we don't want to end up constantly postponing in the hope of getting our dream day. It's disappointing but we just have to hope that things will be a bit better by the time that the wedding does come round.

• Advertisement

Goose76 wrote: »

I feel the same. If I was younger I might be happy to wait another 2 or 3 years. But we're at the stage of our life where we should just have it done already. We're mid-30s, just bought a house together and talking about having kids. So either we go for the wedding in the not too distant future, or we end up putting it on the really long finger as other things take priority. Legally I'd prefer that we were married sooner rather than later. And I don't want to separate out the legal bit and party, because I don't want to simultaneously worrying about getting pregnant and trying to fit into my wedding dress!

Advertisement