Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you sell shares at a loss, do I need to file Revenue returns?

Options
  • 15-09-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi presumably I'm not liable for tax, but should I still file a return does anyone know? And if so are the forms a available on line?
    Thanks 🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yes re the return as you want to record it as losses forward

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Yes re the return as you want to record it as losses forward

Thanks, is it a Capital Gains Tax form that I need to get or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Thanks, is it a Capital Gains Tax form that I need to get or another?

are u on ros or myaccount
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/when-and-how-do-you-pay-and-file-cgt.aspx

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

FYI - This just came up in a webinar at lunchtime and I missed it at the time it came out originally in June.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/ebrief/2020/no-1242020.aspx

Stratvs wrote: »
    FYI - This just came up in a webinar at lunchtime and I missed it at the time it came out originally in June.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/ebrief/2020/no-1242020.aspx

Thank you so that obviously means that I don't need to submit returns? It was only around E1300 and that was at a very big loss unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Thank you so that obviously means that I don't need to submit returns? It was only around E1300 and that was at a very big loss unfortunately.

Correct. But on any future claim for those losses against a gain you need to have kept the relevant backup from the loss computation in case requested by Revenue. See last paragraph in 5.1.

Correct. But on any future claim for those losses against a gain you need to have kept the relevant backup from the loss computation in case requested by Revenue. See last paragraph in 5.1.

Hi sorry to revive this, but rhere is definitely no tax on a loss? I don't want the Revenue coming after me in years ahead with interest snowballed 🙂

Hi sorry to revive this, but rhere is definitely no tax on a loss? I don't want the Revenue coming after me in years ahead with interest snowballed ��

While we have a Capital Gains Tax we don’t have a Capital Loss Tax. But don’t say that too loud as there may be some government mandarin out there looking for ideas !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Hi sorry to revive this, but rhere is definitely no tax on a loss? I don't want the Revenue coming after me in years ahead with interest snowballed ��

No.
    The important word in CGT is "GAIN", this would be a loss and there is no tax payable on a loss.
    Just carry it forward and use it to reduce a future capital gain so at least that
    will save you some money and remember there's no expiry date on the losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

While we have a Capital Gains Tax we don’t have a Capital Loss Tax. But don’t say that too loud as there may be some government mandarin out there looking for ideas !

Good luck to someone looking for a tax on a loss!

"Oh I've just been hammered on a share I bought that has fallen by 90% and now the government want 5% of the balance left! :eek:.
    Wouldn't hold out too much hope for that government figure in the next election.

• Advertisement

It was an 80% loss or something like that, I just sold to be shut and out of the business for good.

Tax is only then on a profit? Not simply a blanket tax on a sale?

Thanks

Advertisement