Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best non dairy milk for coffee

• 23-09-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭

I've found soy just curdles when I pour it into hot coffee. I don't want to buy coconut or almond milks, but does oat milk curdle in hot drinks? Or is anyone aware of any soy milk brands that don't curdle? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I always use unsweetened soy.
    I let the boiled water cool a bit before pouring on coffee and I'll let sit for maybe a minute before I pour in the soy. Perfect every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

grey oatly is best in coffee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah letting the water jsut be a little cooler stops it curdling. Oat milk in general is very tasty, Oatly barista is great. There's now Irish Oat milk too, flahavans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah letting the water jsut be a little cooler stops it curdling. Oat milk in general is very tasty, Oatly barista is great. There's now Irish Oat milk too, flahavans.

I also found heating up the soy milk a little before adding it to hot drinks seems to work. So does oat milk curdle?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I also found heating up the soy milk a little before adding it to hot drinks seems to work. So does oat milk curdle?

ive never seen it curdle,

most coffee places use the grey oatly for their oat milk based coffee drinks

pricey though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Alpro Oat Milk is lovely in coffee.
    As is Oatly - the barista version of both foams nicely for latte also.

But I have concerns on Oatly after reading this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/sep/01/oatly-vegan-milk-sale-blackstone

+1 on the grey Oatly - they call it their 'barista edition'. I found Alpro's Oat drink similarly good (and marginally lower calorie too) but I actually found I missed the oatier flavour of Oatly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cee_jay wrote: »
    Alpro Oat Milk is lovely in coffee.
    As is Oatly - the barista version of both foams nicely for latte also.

But I have concerns on Oatly after reading this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/sep/01/oatly-vegan-milk-sale-blackstone

Personally have no problem with this, as where else would that money be going if it was not to an ethical company? This is the kind of thing I want to see happening, show people they can invest in this instead of bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Flahavans are finally doing Oat Drinks, been out a while.

Tried the barista one, seems very similar to Oatly.

https://www.flahavans.ie/product/flahavans-barista-oat-drink/

Same price as oatly last time i checked.

My OH was making her own for a while, for a bit of effort and time its well worth it. Saves on money and packaging waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭65535

Oat milk at room temperature is grand.
    Keep one in the fridge if you want breakfast cereals

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm just using aldi oat milk now, it's great stuff, so creamy. No curdling whether hot or cold, maybe it's only soy that does that.

Oatly barista is far and away the best I’ve tried.

It’s the one in the grey carton.

Flahavans are finally doing Oat Drinks, been out a while.

Tried the barista one, seems very similar to Oatly.

https://www.flahavans.ie/product/flahavans-barista-oat-drink/

Same price as oatly last time i checked.

My OH was making her own for a while, for a bit of effort and time its well worth it. Saves on money and packaging waste.

Where is this available ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Got it in my local Dunnes. They also stock the Oatly barista one which is also great.

I ran out the other day after months of using oat milk and had normal milk in my coffee. It was awful in comparison to oat milk after not using it for period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Another vote for oatly here.

I was using Alpro for a while but Oatly barista is top class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

65535 wrote: »
    Where is this available ?

Tesco, stocked up on the barista and vitamin ones today as they were on €2 offer.

Also get the aldi and lidl oat milks too for tea.

Got the Flavahans one in Dunnes yesterday, great taste.
    https://www.flahavans.ie/product-type/oatdrink/

More Irish Vegan stuff please !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Unearthly wrote: »
    Another vote for oatly here.

I was using Alpro for a while but Oatly barista is top class

+1 on this.

I have been taking my coffee black for so long at home purely due to the curdling of plant milk when poured into it. Oatly barista (available in Tesco for 2euro at the moment) is perfect; a drop of it turns my black coffee lovely and smooth with a bit of a creamy taste and texture.

My favourite vegan milk is the Rebel Kitchen whole mylk (available in Veganic in Stephen's Green), but I haven't had it for a while and not in coffee so cannot comment on it. But it is not just oat or soy; it is a combination of organic coconut cream, organic brown rice syrup, organic cashew, Himalayan salt, nutritional yeast. This tastes better than full fat, creamy dairy milk.

https://rebel-kitchen.com/product/organic-dairy-free-whole-milk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

No more oatly barista to be got anywhere. Starbucks have taken it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Sirsok

baldbear wrote: »
    No more oatly barista to be got anywhere. Starbucks have taken it all.

Yeah the coffee shop right by our supervalue was snatching them all. Now looks like they just don't stock them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I just got 3 in evergreen. They can be bought online there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

I use soy milk. Mostly the Alpro barista soy. I usually add it to the cup before the coffee and find it is less likely to curdle then. Started doing this after i read it on a package of soy milk. I have found some of the cheaper soy milks (own brands) curdle a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

auspicious wrote: »
    I always use unsweetened soy.
    I let the boiled water cool a bit before pouring on coffee and I'll let sit for maybe a minute before I pour in the soy. Perfect every time.

Soy is anti nutrient food, reduces the body's ability to absorb essential nutrients and impair the digestion of protein and carbohydrates. As a bonus it comes with phytic acid that blocks important minerals. Not to mention that you are already vegetarian/vegan playing with soy products is huge risk to health in a long run.

The only way you can consume soy is after fermentation that's what Japanese figured out a while ago.

markmoto wrote: »
    Soy is anti nutrient food, reduces the body's ability to absorb essential nutrients and impair the digestion of protein and carbohydrates. As a bonus it comes with phytic acid that blocks important minerals. Not to mention that you are already vegetarian/vegan playing with soy products is huge risk to health in a long run.

The only way you can consume soy is after fermentation that's what Japanese figured out a while ago.

thanks for the vegsplaining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

markmoto wrote: »

Nobody asked.

OT: I use Alpro Soya in my coffee, delicious and it's never curdled for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

A number of off topic posts have been deleted.

Markmoto you're clearly not a fan of soy, that's fine but please stick to the topic of the thread rather than dragging it completely off topic

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I used to use Oatly Barrista but found it a bit heavy, I use Alpro Barrista Almond milk now (use it for porridge too) and it's really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

To everyone today's study reveal

vegan milk linked to a significant increase in 'bad' cholesterol

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1561539/high-cholesterol-coconut-milk-increase-bad-levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Then I learned people still drink coconut milk, thought that went the way of the soy schnitzel with all the advances we’ve enjoyed in the last decade.

I see Califia has become the Oatly of 2022. Never see a restock lasting long anywhere. The oat is stupidly gorgeous.

Advertisement