Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruising

• 12-09-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, before I start i'm straight, so if anything in the thread is not right hopefully the Mod will lock it.
    Does cruising still go on? I've a very close friend in his late fifties remembers that because of stigma associated with being gay, as a teenager he remembered hanging around his local park, hoping to meet somebody ( actually this topic came up a conversation, its not a conversation we would've had in the past, I knew he was gay, but I wanted him to tell me, anyway the short version is his lifelong partner died and his more open and honest to himself and others about his sexuality ). He never elaborated whether he did or didnt meet somebody and I respect that.
    But in todays age were being gay is much more acceptable, (my niece is a lesbian living happily with her partner, my nephew who is 19 came out last year and the family are happy for him. Except his parents when their drunk. Sorry I degress). Anyway I'm curious to know does cruising still go on?
    And what does this generation think about it? Oh and did lesbians cruise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Yes, cruising still goes on. There are even websites dedicated to belong people who like to cruise do so... keeping them informed of address where people cruise, what the scene is like say those places, when it's busy, when it's slow, and tips on how to stay safe in each particular spot.

Cruising is so ingrained in gay culture that it's the only way some know how to meet... then there's people like me who have no idea how the whole thing works and have never successfully "cruised" and have never recognized that I was being cruised until well after the other guy gave up.

P.S. I have no idea if lesbians cruise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Thanks for posting OP.

I don't know if cruising still goes on.

I imagine legalisation of homosexuality, dating apps, sex apps, greater acceptance of homosexuality have changed how people find each other, pick someone up.

I remember seeing a list online of cruising sites, changing rooms of leisure centres, public toilets that sort of thing.

I don't think it was actually a reality more an imagined list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't verify but I'd say absolutely it goes on and always will. What I do know is ppl who engage in it get a thrill out of it aside from the sexual activity itself. I think it would be unrealistic to say that ppl engage in it because they have no choice as was the case in times past. Like regular hunting some people do it out of necessity and others do it for the fun of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Saw the Thread title on the main page so had a peek for curiosity's sake.

I used to cycle to my Rathfarnham to a group of friends living in Ranelagh back in the late 90s. I used to cycle through a pretty well known park in at the top of a very well-to-do road. It was a shortcut there and home. Anyway, I'd sometimes be cycling home late, like 11pm to 1am ish depending. I'd often see an older lad lurking in the shadows wearing a sailor hat and often joked with my friends from the area about it.

So one night I'm cycling back and I get knocked down outside the park. It was pretty bad. I broke the windscreen and the bike was buckled to bits. Woke up in hospital with no recollection of anything after a few streets before the junction I was hit at.

The next week, I'm out of hospital and my friends parents were asking me what I was doing at that park at that time of night. This is when I found out it was a well known cruising spot. It's also the first time I knew that cruising was even a thing. Turns out sailor man was a regular on that scene and that perhaps the lad who hit me was too. I'm pretty sure the lad who hit me was going at some decent speed considering the damage to me, the bike and the car. Go f&$k all compo at the time too as this was before the standards were implememnted. I'm sure your man had some top lawyer do his bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,758 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes it still happens. I think with apps though it is certainly not happening as much as it used to. Apps are like bringing the park into your front room really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement