Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odd stones

• 17-08-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I saw these at Moone Abbey at the weekend,

Anyone have a viable explanation for the marks on these stones,?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There are similar markings at the entrance to Aghowle Church in county Wicklow and possibly Fore (and a few other Early Christian sites that I can't recall just now).

These markings are often thought to be the result of sharpening a metal edge. That's problematic and may have been discussed here previously.
    If the markings are the result of drawing a metal edge along the stone, then repeatedly doing so would result not only in a deepening of the groove but also in a dulling of the edge. It is highly unlikely that an edge or blade would be sharpened by drawing it through these grooves.

Might drawing an edge through a groove in stone have been a symbolic act to demonstrate an interest in peace rather than violence? Could armed churchgoers have symbolically 'blunted' their weapons before entering the church?

A more mundane explanation might be that the grooves are the result of initial shaping of a blade at an early stage in the manufacturing process. That possibility could be supported by the not infrequent association of evidence for ironworking with Early christian sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Could you not have started a thread of your own for this question?

Not really related to my initial post at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Could you not have started a thread of your own for this question?

Not really related to my initial post at all!!

Post moved. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Igotadose wrote: »
    Post moved. Sorry!

Thanks.

Advertisement