Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTI/GAP insurance

Options
  • 16-09-2020 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

Morning folks,

Hope this is the right place for this.

I’m close to signing for a new car on PCP at 0% finance and the dealer is offering us GAP insurance for about €430 for 3 years.

I’ve never actually heard of this type of insurance so just looking to get peoples thoughts on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Morning folks,

Hope this is the right place for this.

I’m close to signing for a new car on PCP at 0% finance and the dealer is offering us GAP insurance for about €430 for 3 years.

I’ve never actually heard of this type of insurance so just looking to get peoples thoughts on it.

I always bought it in case my car is written off and the insurance will only pay out the current market value which could be less than you owe to the bank. Although most insurance companies will have a like for like replacement for 1st year, you won’t be covered for years 2-3. I used to pay €250 for 3 years but this year I could not find any independent insurance broker who offers this type of insurance. Even my current broker doesn’t offer it anymore. So I will have to stamp out €500 to VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GAP insurance is a good idea imo if you are using PCP to buy the car. GAP covers you for the difference in what you originally paid for the car against it's market value at the time in the event it was written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

bizarre. I posted the same question this morning in the motor forum.

I'm buy a 2018 Renault Scenic was offered same. It's hire purchase from the garage. So i gather they have vested interest when its PCP/HP to get customer return to invoice price so they dont lose out as they still own the car.

But if you just got a straight loan from the bank that wasnt secured to the car would you? My loan is over 5 years. The cover only last 3. And i don't car about how much money i get once i end up back in the same year of car.

Advertisement