Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher shouting at kids

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Can any teacher in here answer me why this wouldn't need dealt with straight away?

This should be dealt with straight away of course if kids are 'terrorised', but in the order of the complaints process. i'd guess nobody has probably ever bothered to do it properly as they think it's futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

readysetgo wrote: »
    This should be dealt with straight away of course if kids are 'terrorised', but in the order of the complaints process. i'd guess nobody has probably ever bothered to do it properly as they think it's futile.

Is it futile? Does it get results?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Is it futile? Does it get results?

it does get results if followed properly. most people dont try cos they listen to former parents who say its futile. The threat of going from the informal steps of 1/2 onto a formal complaint stsge 3 is usually enough

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Our primary school resumed last Tuesday.
    My 11 yr old son in 5th class came home sick last Thursday.

This morning, he was complaining again of it, so my wife questioned as to why, is all ok in school.
    So then he said the teacher (male, 30s ) roared at him last Weds over not drinking fast enough/not putting water bottle away , something to do with water bottle, and he was afraid of him.

OP you seem to be taking a very reasonable approach, wanting to deal with the issue and not have your son afraid but not wanting to go in all guns blazing either.

I think its interesting that the shouting was related to the teacher wanting your lad to hurry up, finish his drink and put away the bottle. Not excusing it at all but could it be related to the stress of first week back and all the new protocols and time-consuming procedures re extra hand-washing, cleaning of surfaces etc?

First week back must have been hugely stressful in schools, wondering how or if it would all work out. Teachers, parents and schools would all have been stressed and anxious.

As I said I'm not saying this excuses frightening a pupil but if was a once-off, hopefully your young lad will get over it. However if its nothing to do with the current situation and is the teacher's regular way of operating then it will need to be addressed through the complaint channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Connacht15

The teacher should not have roared at the child!

However, maybe he was under stress as it is that kind of job.

How times have changed, when I was in 5th Class in St Pats, the Patrickian Primary school in Galway City, The scumbag (now gone to his eternal reward) masquerading as my teacher was a classist cynical violent mucksavage from Tullamore.
    He absolutely detested working class kids!
    During the course of that year this redneck bastard, who by the way was a dog collar wearer, punched me in my stomach, belted me across my head and face on several ocassions and once pulled my hair with both his hands while roaring like the animal, he was.
    One day, this lad arrived in from the other 5th Class, his nickname was Dots, a spot on lad then and now.
    The reason why he ended up in our class was the other gobshyte masquerading as the other 5th class teacher (surprisingly, given his insanity, not a dog collar wearer) had an obsession with singing.
    The deal was if you could sing in that class, you were fine, if you couldn't, you would get an odd smadder, but were reasonably safe from extreme harm. However, if you could half sing, you were likely to be in that extreme danger.
    And it turned out he had attacked Dots severely including kneeing him and this remember is an 11 year old in the spine.
    His parents complained and he was placed in the class run by the see you next Tuesday Bastard, I had to suffer, as the lesser of two extreme evils.

Then a few years down the Line in Saint Joseph's Institution, The lovely Patrickian Brothers' Secondary School in Galway City, I encountered the most dangerous psychotic loon, I ever met, masquerading as a teacher, another dog collar wearer, who shoved paper down my throat, enacting a fellatial paedorast fantasy for himself!
    That particular see you next Tuesday Bastard according to most who saw him in full flight was the biggest violent nutjob they had ever seen in their entire lives and these are all middle aged men and older now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

OP you seem to be taking a very reasonable approach, wanting to deal with the issue and not have your son afraid but not wanting to go in all guns blazing either.

I think its interesting that the shouting was related to the teacher wanting your lad to hurry up, finish his drink and put away the bottle. Not excusing it at all but could it be related to the stress of first week back and all the new protocols and time-consuming procedures re extra hand-washing, cleaning of surfaces etc?

First week back must have been hugely stressful in schools, wondering how or if it would all work out. Teachers, parents and schools would all have been stressed and anxious.

As I said I'm not saying this excuses frightening a pupil but if was a once-off, hopefully your young lad will get over it. However if its nothing to do with the current situation and is the teacher's regular way of operating then it will need to be addressed through the complaint channels.

Thanks for the reply.

When our lad told us , we were saying to ourselves 'fair enough, teacher just using his voice to hurry them up@, but then when 2 other kids parents told us that their children had said to them that they got such a fright when the Muinteoir shouted at our lad, that they were afraid of him now , we decided to have a word about it.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I still think that going to the teacher first in the correct way, and if anything further happens , I will be on to the principle next.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just as an aside.
    My daughter is very sporty, and when she was in the same primary school she had a wee issue also.

The school sports day, no medals for each event, you acumalate points and theres overall winners.
    So she won most of the events and was delighted.
    The day was finishing up early and we asked the principal could we bring the kids (20mins before the normal finishing time) and he said go on.

That was fine, so my daughter went into school the next day, delighted that she was going to get the top athlete, and all her friends were congratulating her.
    Then when the teacher read out the results, no mention of my daughter.
    My daughter would be a bit quiet/introverted and said nothing , but some of her friends asked why didn't she win.
    The teacher said, She lost all her points cos she went home early...… She was gutted !!

We heard about this, and my wife went up and met the teacher , asked her whats the explanation,
    The teacher was bamboozled, my wife explained that the Principal gave us (and plenty others) to leave early.
    teacher bright red and spluttering...
    My wife left it with " I explained to *my daughter that sometimes no matter how hard you try, and do your best, it wont be good enough for some people".... *mic drop

So amazingly, my daughter cam home with "Pupil of the Week". ….

Teachers can be vindictive, and mean, maybe without realising it !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Why would a parent need to follow the complaints procedure set out by the NPC/INTO? They are probably not members. I guess I would view something like that as an issue for the teachers manager (principal) to deal with

Then you would guess incorrectly.
    If this issue needs to be escalated, unless proper procedure has been followed , the entire process may have to start again . Best to do it correctly first time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

You know the bit about the other mother messaging your wife about the incident. That's the bit I'd be wary of. Some people love to make a bit of trouble while remaining in the wings themselves and watching the drama unfold. I'd make an appointment with the teacher and take it from there. Usually that settles the matter. The majority of individuals, teachers and parents, are reasonable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Then you would guess incorrectly.
    If this issue needs to be escalated, unless proper procedure has been followed , the entire process may have to start again . Best to do it correctly first time out.

It seems a bit of a strange way to do it. The parent might be very timid or a bull in a china shop and completely overreact. On the flip side, they might be dealing with the type of teacher that refers to the kids as "little ASBO". That's why I would have thought it is better for the manager to have the talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I remember when I was in second year and a teacher couldn't handle some back chat he got off a student and really went off on him, in his face roaring thatd he'd batter him if he continued. The very next day the students father was outside the class waiting for the teacher, he tore him to shreds verbally when he turned up, a proper limerick scumbag accent absolutely ripping through him, teacher shat himself, we did nothing during that class, spent the hour doing an essay question, teacher looked shook. Very satisfying even though the teacher was actually alright and the student was extremely disruptive on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It seems a bit of a strange way to do it. The parent might be very timid or a bull in a china shop and completely overreact. On the flip side, they might be dealing with the type of teacher that refers to the kids as "little ASBO". That's why I would have thought it is better for the manager to have the talk.

Believe it or not , there can be a “ little Asbo” in the same way as there are senior Asbos, but the junior versions are very rare .
    In any case, the procedure is as outlined .If parent and teacher are interested in keeping the well being of the child central to the discussion, it invariably has a good outcome .
    If parent /teacher aren’t satisfied with the meeting, then, you involve the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Believe it or not , there can be a “ little Asbo” in the same way as there are senior Asbos, but the junior versions are very rare .
    In any case, the procedure is as outlined .If parent and teacher are interested in keeping the well being of the child central to the discussion, it invariably has a good outcome .
    If parent /teacher aren’t satisfied with the meeting, then, you involve the principal.

I think its likely they don't have a very nice home situation. If their teacher sneeringly refers to them as "little asbo", then they have no chance.

I think its likely they don't have a very nice home situation. If their teacher sneeringly refers to them as "little asbo", then they have no chance.

You are stereotyping there . But carry on .
    I don’t sneer at children . But again , carry on .

If you go to the Principal first a satisfactory resolution is less certain. The Principal will re-direct to to the teacher but will also have to mention to the teacher that you went to him/her first, something that most parents don't do. It would be difficult for the teacher not to feel on the back-foot. A chat with the teacher is your best bet. If that doesn't work go to the Head. Occasionally parents do a lot of damage by involving the Principal when there is no need. Principals have a colossal workload and should not have to be involved in every classroom issue. How it's handled in the first place is hugely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MeganOgden

it depends on the situation, actually

Shouting is unnecessary and unpleasant.

Advertisement