Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Witness name issue

• 13-09-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

We got married a few days ago. In our panic when registering we put down the maid of honours maiden name. She then obviously signed as a witness using her married name. What should we do? We're thinking of hyphenation using both names or putting 'nee' and her maiden name after it. We have the greenbook and haven't handed it in yet.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

I am not 100% certain, but I actually do not think that this matters in Irish law at least? i.e. you can continue to legally use either name after you are married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It doesn’t matter. I gave my brothers name when registering and my aunt was the one who signed the register. Don’t worry! You’re still married!

Also, I don’t know that you need to give your green book to anyone? I brought mine the day I got married but I’m pretty sure I brought it home again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

jlm29 wrote: »
    Also, I don’t know that you need to give your green book to anyone? I brought mine the day I got married but I’m pretty sure I brought it home again

The MRF has to be posted to register the marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Thanks for the answers so far. We're just a bit nervous but it's reassuring to here what you all think.

Yes we brought it home again I just meant we haven't actually given it in to the hse yet to get our marriage cert.

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »
    The MRF has to be posted to register the marriage.

Ah I get you. I got married in the registry office, so they obviously didn’t need mine.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Ah I get you. I got married in the registry office, so they obviously didn’t need mine.

As in, they had their own copy and just kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

We did same thing. My wife's sister had her printed maiden name, but signed with married surname. When we posted back, the officer issuing marriage cert had a problem with it alright. However he was able to find her marriage cert after doing some lookup after I gave him some details and then he issued cert. I think he wanted her to bring in her marriage cert which was going to be pain as she's on a different side of country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

Our celebrant signed the wrong line on ours, we met him the next day and he changed it and we all initialled the change. Maybe just ring the HSE office and ask advice to be sure.

Advertisement