Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time car insurance for male over 50

• 01-09-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So I am FINALLY taking the plunge and learning how to drive, I'll be 50 when I get my license. If I get a 1.4 litre motor for say 3 grand. What can I expect to pay for insurance? The car will be based in Mayo
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Impossible to know. You need to ring around or get a broker do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd expect you'll pay about the same as your car

Do you even have named driver exp?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eamoc

daheff wrote: »
    I'd expect you'll pay about the same as your car

Do you even have named driver exp?

Nope,

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

Don't do it, buy a bicycle instead ��

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

The cheapest quote I got as a mid 30s female was 2400, third party fire and theft most expensive was 4900, that's on provisional. I'm waiting now until I have my full licence and should come down to around 1200ish

• Advertisement

Always put someone else on your policy, will bring your cost down,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Joey321 wrote: »
    Always put someone else on your policy, will bring your cost down,

Depends on the person you add. So make sure you add a middle aged person with full NCD vs an 18 year old with nothing.

@Del2005, yes, should have mentioned that, but if you don't have an experienced driver to add just get a quote with an inexperienced driver and one without,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Get an automatic and go for an automatic license.

You’ll pass easily and its less stressful.

OH only started driving in her mid thirties, her first insurance was about €800.

Forgot to mention, if getting quotes from the likes of the AA, Zurich etc and you have other policy's with them eg. Home insurance always state this as they always give discounts for having a second policy

• Advertisement

Coopaloop wrote: »
    The cheapest quote I got as a mid 30s female was 2400, third party fire and theft most expensive was 4900, that's on provisional. I'm waiting now until I have my full licence and should come down to around 1200ish
    Wow, Maybe I should get a motorbike instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

eamoc wrote: »
    Nope,

is there a chance somebody could put you on as a named driver for year first while you learn?

Even if you never get into that car it'd help your future premiums.

Obvs you pay them for any increase in their premium, but it'd still be more cost effective for you in the long run.

daheff wrote: »
    is there a chance somebody could put you on as a named driver for year first while you learn?

Even if you never get into that car it'd help your future premiums.

Obvs you pay them for any increase in their premium, but it'd still be more cost effective for you in the long run.
    Good Idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Another - huge - factor is the age of the car.

For instance (not first time driver...), here's what I just got

NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Offer: € 2500

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

But, change the exact same car to a 161 reg and it becomes........ € 355

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Another - huge - factor is the age of the car.

For instance (not first time driver...), here's what I just got

NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Offer: € 2500

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

But, change the exact same car to a 161 reg and it becomes........ € 355

The insurance racket is exactly that.. a RACKET!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

eamoc wrote: »
    The insurance racket is exactly that.. a RACKET!!!!

Not really.

Some dishonest people buy old cars and use them to stage crashes.

There's little or no punishment for this, so they do it time and time again.

If the courts actively discouraged this by sanctions to the doctors, solicitors and barristers involved, you'd see a very very quick change.

But I'll win the lottery twice in a week without a ticket first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Darc19 wrote: »
    Not really.

Some dishonest people buy old cars and use them to stage crashes.

There's little or no punishment for this, so they do it time and time again.

If the courts actively discouraged this by sanctions to the doctors, solicitors and barristers involved, you'd see a very very quick change.

But I'll win the lottery twice in a week without a ticket first!

Stats then please, or I'm calling BS.

The reason I say that is other people will have as much trouble as I have trying to get such cover, and without the benefit of my good driving history, so the up-front costs they'd face would (or should) be multiples of what I have been quoted. And money is the greatest filter of them all.

My previous car, an 01 was similartly extolled as being 'one of Those' cars that have historically high claims.

Really ? - there are 1000's of 225bhp Audi TT Coupés running around crashing into nefarious things to lodge dodgy claims through the courts ? Nah, sorry, not buying that line for a minute.

If the claims on such vehicles were as you say, and indeed as the Ins Co's claim, they'd share and publish the data to support that. But they don't, and they won't, and are blocking European Commissions attempts to investigate their processes.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep it on topic please - insurance for OP.
    That includes yourself OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Take the guesswork out of it - what I always do is go onto donedeal or carzone, search for a car you'd be interested in that has the car reg in the photos, and insert that car reg into car insurance websites and look for a real quote with all of your details as they will be when you plan to get going on this plan (i.e. the type of licence you will have, any named drivers you will be adding - ideally at least 1 middle aged person with over 10 years driving experience and no points or claims in last 3 years).

Only way to get a proper estimate.

Advertisement