Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if someone claims to recognise themselves in your novel

• 10-08-2020 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the situaton if someone claims to recognise themselves in your novel? Example if a crime books people claimed it was based on them but crime is crime and say how people sell drugs is pretty general. Lots of people get murdered etc so how specific would it need be before they could they say it was about them?

I heard of a woman somewhere in Tipperary who apparently writes and bases stories on the locals and they do not mind. I don't know who she is or what she writes about them

Comments

Depends on what the author is writing

Is it a comedy? Would the affected party mind if they look like an idiot?

Is it a drama? Does the character concerned look narcissistic?

There was a thread in this forum a few years ago, which got pretty heated, about the subject of a novel being uncomfortably close to another boardsie's life situation with the main character. 4 years ago I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

xieann wrote: »
    Depends on what the author is writing

Is it a comedy? Would the affected party mind if they look like an idiot?

Is it a drama? Does the character concerned look narcissistic?

There was a thread in this forum a few years ago, which got pretty heated, about the subject of a novel being uncomfortably close to another boardsie's life situation with the main character. 4 years ago I think.
    not comedy. there is violence and crimes

You mean one boardsie writing a novel and another boardsie saying it was like his life?

her life.

I'm male.

Do a bit of digging! The offended party asked for an apology. They were angry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

xieann wrote: »
    her life.

I'm male.

Do a bit of digging! The offended party asked for an apology. They were angry too.
    i am digging

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a standard disclaimer in pretty much every novel ever printed stating the characters and events therein are fictitious and any resemblance to real people is entirely accidental, etc etc.

It would be up to the "aggrieved" person to show that they were not just the subject of the story but also identifiable as such to a casual reader and I'd imagine the burden of proof to do so would be pretty onerous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement