Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV/Broadband offerings from Eir

• 17-10-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

https://www.eir.ie/tv/

TV bundles now with Apple TV.

TV 50 channels, up to 100MB Fibre BB unlimited, Apple 4k TV and Eir Sport at €49.98 for 6 months and €79.98 after that.
    Same with 150 MB BB €55.98 for 6 months and €85.98 after that but with a €99.99 installation fee.
    1 GB BB €75.98 a month for 6 months and €105.98 after that with €99.99 installation fee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Yeah reading through it not great.
    The way they were pumping it up, expected it to be much better.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/new-eir-tv-service-expected-to-kick-off-price-war-with-rival-providers-38604477.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

When I saw the build up yesterday, was hoping for a simple broadband only package at a decent price. I'm on the basic broadband only, which is about to go up to €60 per month, which is steep enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Would be interested in it if they offered more 12mbs on my line. Terrible offering at a 5er less than the virgin offer with a massively inferiorer broadband product

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thats such a crap offer. Does anyone care about apple TV? Just seems dear.
    I thought they were going away from this cheap initial price and fleece you for the remaining 6 months of the contract stuff........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

_feedback_ wrote: »
    When I saw the build up yesterday, was hoping for a simple broadband only package at a decent price. I'm on the basic broadband only, which is about to go up to €60 per month, which is steep enough

I used to be on that. I'd switch to Vodafone. Works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So max speed broadband options are now:

Sky - 1GB
    Eir - 1GB
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

Some of these aren't widely available yet so you may not have all 4 to choose from in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thats such a crap offer. Does anyone care about apple TV? Just seems dear.
    I thought they were going away from this cheap initial price and fleece you for the remaining 6 months of the contract stuff........

The product savvy amongst us give little sh!t about the Apple. The sheeple out there love an Apple TV paperweight to go with their iPhones and iPad

Thanks OP, I bought 5 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭FaganJr

So max speed broadband options are now:

Sky - 1GB
    Eir - 1GB
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

Some of these aren't widely available yet so you may not have all 4 to choose from in your area

Realistically for most it will be

Sky - 100MB
    Eir - 100MB
    Voda - 100MB
    Virgin - 500MB or not available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Is this available to existing customers? and are they giving an Apple TV out as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

flanzer wrote: »
    The product savvy amongst us give little sh!t about the Apple. The sheeple out there love an Apple TV paperweight to go with their iPhones and iPad

Thanks OP, I bought 5 anyway

Is it not more about Eir providing their service through the Apple TV rather than another set top box?

Plus you get the added bonus of built in app, casting, AirPlay, Apple TV if you subscribe.

I don’t think it warrants the childishness that’s associated with iOS V Android and all the fanboy ****e that comes with that.

Is this available to existing customers? and are they giving an Apple TV out as well?

Yes and yes

• FaganJr wrote: »
    Realistically for most it will be

Sky - 100MB
    Eir - 100MB
    Voda - 100MB
    Virgin - 500MB or not available

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I ahve EIR at 41 pm for 12 month contract
    300mbs and unlimed download

Speed tested and gettin 275mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭dunworth1

€99 install fee pfft...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This is what I have in my area at present:

Sky - 100mb
    Eir - 100mb
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

If Vodafone is a GB its through Siro, so Sky should be a reseller too of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Rafloution wrote: »
    If Vodafone is a GB its through Siro, so Sky should be a reseller too of the same

I thought sky don't do every area that siro is available in?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    €99 install fee pfft...

Why is there an install fee on the higher plans and not the basic 100mb plan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Kallie Swift Rollerblade

Rafloution wrote: »

Not necessarily. Vodafone also sell FTTH on the eir network, though with eir being up to 100Mb you're likely correct in this specific case.

kceire wrote: »
    Why is there an install fee on the higher plans and not the basic 100mb plan?

150Mb and above are FTTH which is a whole new installation with a fibre cable brought into your home.

150Mb and above are FTTH which is a whole new installation with a fibre cable brought into your home.

I’m currently on VM.
    Regularly get 175-190 mbps here in Dublin 11.
    VM obviously come In through the old NTL/UPC cables with the TV etc but how do Eir get their broadband in?

I’m currently on VM.
    Regularly get 175-190 mbps here in Dublin 11.
    VM obviously come In through the old NTL/UPC cables with the TV etc but how do Eir get their broadband in?

It depends on which service.

FTTC - up to 100Mb depending on your distance from the cabinet. Delivered over the traditional copper phone line.

FTTH - 150, 300 or 1000Mb delivered over a fibre optic cable which generally follows the path of the copper phone line. So if your phone line comes in underground in a duct they will try to install the fibre cable through the same duct.

There is very little FTTH availability around Dublin at the minute so it is likely not available to you.

It depends on which service.

FTTC - up to 100Mb depending on your distance from the cabinet. Delivered over the traditional copper phone line.

FTTH - 150, 300 or 1000Mb delivered over a fibre optic cable which generally follows the path of the copper phone line. So if your phone line comes in underground in a duct they will try to install the fibre cable through the same duct.

There is very little FTTH availability around Dublin at the minute so it is likely not available to you.

Yes, I was looking at the standard 100 mbps but I have no fixed phone line in the house. Maybe there’s one fed to the coms cabinet from the original build as there would have been one then (1996) so it will just be a matter of drilling through the gable wall if I proceed.

Yes, I was looking at the standard 100 mbps but I have no fixed phone line in the house. Maybe there’s one fed to the coms cabinet from the original build as there would have been one then (1996) so it will just be a matter of drilling through the gable wall if I proceed.

If there is no existing line and no ducting, they would likely have to drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Kristina Screeching Troll

Paying 49.99 for FttH for 12 months.
    Underwhelmed by the deal.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I ahve EIR at 41 pm for 12 month contract
    300mbs and unlimed download

Speed tested and gettin 275mbs

How'd you manage that? Wasn't an option when I was signing up earlier in the year.. This is the basic package I'm on. Expensive when the price increases after 6 months to €60

493218.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭celt262

How'd you manage that? Wasn't an option when I was signing up earlier in the year.. This is the basic package I'm on. Expensive when the price increases after 6 months to €60

493218.JPG

What method did you use to sign up Online, Webchat or over the phone?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    What method did you use to sign up Online, Webchat or over the phone?

It was a painful over the phone experience - just wanted the most basic broadband package (don't use the landline aspect of this package)

Advertisement