Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

gavney1 wrote: »
    Is the Masters 2010 App something to do with Data entry or is this un-related?

The only App i see when i google "Masters 2010 app" is a golfing App....

As Nelson Muntz would say .............. HA HA !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

LadyJedi wrote: »
    Does it work with 3G only or do you need the wireless to be on?

It is the same as watching YouTube. Wireless ideal, but 3g works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Hi there,

Having a problem with the WunderRadio app. When I try to access the list of stations I get an "unable to connect. Touch to retry" message. However when I try to run the app on my iPod Touch the stations come up and plays no bother. Both devices are connected to the same WiFi network with the exact same settings.

The iPhone is running the 3.1.2 firmware while the iPod has 3.0. Could this be the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sunny321

Hello, i have downloaded the Eirtext App! i am a mobile vodafone customer. Is it possibe to access the contacts i have already saved on the vodafone website for webtext when i use this app? When i click on 'add contactcs' it goes into my gmail contacts list....

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I watched the Haye fight on 3G last night using Justin TV...was well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I watched the Haye fight on 3G last night using Justin TV...was well impressed.

Why didn't I think of that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Jelly sms. Uses your meteor/02/vodafone free web text account and contacts list to send free texts. There's free version with adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sunny321

naasrd wrote: »
    Jelly sms. Uses your meteor/02/vodafone free web text account and contacts list to send free texts. There's free version with adds.

Great thanks a million! works perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

flight control (game)
    drop 7 (game)
    wunder radio
    rte news now
    samegame (game)
    guardian
    empire movie guide
    app box pro
    real racing
    eirtext
    ireland rail
    facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If anyone is looking for an addictive game, download Tilt To Live. I can't put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

My Fav apps:

Non Jailbroken

Angry Birds - Highly addictive!! 79c
    QuickOffice - ca €10 - Very powerful app for creating and editind word and excel. Great upload over wifi utility too
    Facebook - free
    WhatsApp - Send push messages to friends with same app for free. Some very good features. ca €2
    Remote - free - Control iTunes from your iPhone
    Monkey Island - Absolutely classic game - ca €7
    Sky+ - free
    IrelandsCinemaTimes - 79c
    UltimateNotifier - ca €3 - Notifies you by push of new hotmail emails
    LastFM - free - Radio you can control. No simple to get here, but very possible. Google it
    Wikipedia - free
    Shazam - free cersion - listens and names any song for you
    lottery.ie
    Dublin buster - ca 79c - Dublin bus times

Jailbreak Apps
    Last App***** - Shake to instantly go back to your last app. Worth jailbreak for this alone!
    Backgrounder - Allows you to run an app in the background. Eg. Use Today FM/ Last FM and check your emails
    Winterboard - Change the look of your Springboard and Icons
    MX tube - Download YouTube videos
    SMS Helper - main thing on this app is that it counts your charactors on your text. Something glaringly missing from iPhone
    Wififofum - Finds all wifi networks, even hidden ones.
    Android Lock***** - Unlock your iPhone by a patterned slide. Brilliant!
    SB Settings ***** Shortcut to turn on and off a host of stuff eg. wifi, 3G, BT. loads of other great stuff too. Should be on factory software.
    Rock - great download alternative to Cydia.
    Volume Button extender **** - Allows you to use volume buttons to forward/back tracks and pause while phone is locked. So easy and so basic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Linoge wrote: »
    My Fav apps:

Non Jailbroken

Angry Birds - Highly addictive!! 79c
    QuickOffice - ca €10 - Very powerful app for creating and editind word and excel. Great upload over wifi utility too
    Facebook - free
    WhatsApp - Send push messages to friends with same app for free. Some very good features. ca €2
    Remote - free - Control iTunes from your iPhone
    Monkey Island - Absolutely classic game - ca €7
    Sky+ - free
    IrelandsCinemaTimes - 79c
    UltimateNotifier - ca €3 - Notifies you by push of new hotmail emails
    LastFM - free - Radio you can control. No simple to get here, but very possible. Google it
    Wikipedia - free
    Shazam - free cersion - listens and names any song for you
    lottery.ie
    Dublin buster - ca 79c - Dublin bus times
    How do we get it in ireland? I cant find it on google...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

mixednuts wrote: »
    Just got a free App from Cydia named "LastApp"

It's exactly what the iPhone is missing.
    Are you fed up with having to close one App to go back to the last one you had open , then back again ?
    (e.g) You are in Safari but wanna open your mail quickly , means you have you close Safari , open mail , close mail , back into Safari.:(

Well "LastApp" will allow to quickly toggle between 2 of the last Apps open , or set certain buttons or motions (great addition) to toggle between certain Apps.

I have set it up so if I'm in Safari I quickly shake my device and it will open my mail , another shake and I'm back into Safari . :)

it's bacically CTRL ALT for your phone :)

Well worth the 0c price .

I find Backgrounder & Insomnia work really well for that... you can have multiple apps open at once, drains the battery & slows everything down but it does work... great for social networking or something like skype...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

flight control (game)
    )
    empire movie guide

facebook

I got the Empire movie guide app too, but was a bit disappointed with it, some of the movies I was looking up didn't appear in App, rotten tomatoes and IMDb are much better, even though I do love empire will stick to the mag instead of the app for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Digitalism wrote: »
    How do we get it [Last.FM] in ireland? I cant find it on google...

You would need to create a US or UK based iTunes account. (See here for steps)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Cycorder- Video cam app for iPhone, though haven't worked out how to transfer to laptop yet
    Flashlight- excellent app
    Cydia- use almost every day
    Winterboard- for themes etc
    Sleep Cycle- mentioned before
    Facebook
    Meebo- has all chats in one, including Facebook/Myspace chat etc
    Unit Converter from freetheapps.com- great app for someone like me to convert stuff!
    Moon Phases- use this one all the time as I love the moon & it's phases are very important to me
    Moonpreview & iLuna- as above
    Year Wheel- points to Pagan cycle of the year Sabbats, Solstices, Quarter days etc
    Stones- info on hundreds of crystals & gemstones
    FMC- Very handy for all women, it's a menstrul Calendar.. keeps track of your cycle etc
    Zynga Bloodlust- vampire Wars for iPhone
    Mafia Wars
    Backgrounder & insomnia- for keeping apps such as chat running in the background
    Sheep launch/penguin whacker & spongebob diner dash- love them!
    Photoshare- to share photos by bluetooth, only other iPhones...
    PS Mobile- photo editor
    FilterFX/FreeZoom/HRDforFree/CropForFree & FlashForFree- also from freetheapps.com-do what they say on then box.. pretty good
    Hangman & Pacman- ok
    Mind Reader & Bluffmaster- cool apps for short times
    XE
    Fontswap- use it all the time to change the look of my fonts

etc etc etc sky's the limit for apps really.. all I know is that I delete 75% of the ones I d/l lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just got my iPhone today :D and reading back over this thread to get ideas for some apps.

I see a lot of recommendations for the Sky+ recording app - does anyone know if there's anything similar for the upc/ntl recordable digibox?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Linoge wrote: »
    Volume Button extender **** - Allows you to use volume buttons to forward/back tracks and pause while phone is locked. So easy and so basic!

Fantastic App. But I downloaded it but nothing happens when I try to skip songs. Is there any setup required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Dman001 wrote: »
    Fantastic App. But I downloaded it but nothing happens when I try to skip songs. Is there any setup required?

I think i rebooted my phone (not just a respring). Works fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Guys

A long shot but I'm looking for a way to lock individual apps. Basically I know i can password lock my phone but my nephews love messing with my phone for games and that which is fine but I wouldn't want them opening up my Ping or texts seeing things from my pals!!

I'm normal 3gs and probably chancing my arm here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Ya I restarted the phone and it works. Great App.

Backgroundr
    ProSwitcher
    Volume Extender

3 must have Jailbroken Apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

darsar wrote: »
    Guys

A long shot but I'm looking for a way to lock individual apps. Basically I know i can password lock my phone but my nephews love messing with my phone for games and that which is fine but I wouldn't want them opening up my Ping or texts seeing things from my pals!!

I'm normal 3gs and probably chancing my arm here!
    if its jailbroke there is an app for that i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Here is one I got today. i€Bank its handy for AIB customers. Its costs €1.59. :)

mzladmyulzo480x48075.jpg

Personally I wouldn't trust it, that's possibly giving a third party you bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Has anyone bought the new Irish Times app yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

RonanC wrote: »

got it, and very dissapointed - it seems to only have about half the articles as in the print or web version - it's not good enough compared to the guardian app which has oodles of reading every day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

RonanC wrote: »
    Yeah, it's crap. No way should they be charging for it. And given that they've returned to the subscription model, I doubt they'll improve it.

+1 the Guardian. Fantastic app.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Thanks, I'll stick with the Guardian for the time being so.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

Think there was another one called "yearbook yourself" too. This is hilarious... if theres a few pints involved when you use it on your mates prepare for people to start wetting themselves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What app has scores from the widest range of sports? I want it for checking sporting results for bets...
    I have livescore (very good), Sky Sports (slow to load).
    I'm looking for one that'll give as many sports as possible- soccer, rugby, F1, rugby, horse racing, boxing etc.

thanks,
    Pa.

Advertisement