Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Amazon have opened a huge warehouse, new retail names are arriving (jysk is an example), IKEA opening a second store, Flannels expanding, Next expanding and many more.

Argos will sell off stuff here, but they don't carry huge stocks of items. In many cases it's 3 or 4 at most in a store. Items will be delisted and then a clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its not Brexit.

M&S has been in trouble before COVID and Brexit. As was Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is no way that laptop was ever €1189. 289 is about the right price for that spec of chromebook.

available for €254 here, reduced from 289

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Brexit had an effect on Argos , it wasn't the sole cause of the closure but it was a contributing factor

For clarity the majority of stock will be sent back to the UK. There won't be any huge closing sales etc. (unless plans change between now and closure )

All these issues of stock and prices existed before Bexit.

• Advertisement

I didn't say they weren't but Brexit added to the issues , as someone who worked during the period of before and after you could see the impact it had on logistics and operations

It was a sinking ship in RoI long before Brexit.

Bargains Argos thread on boards runs from 2015 or so. Lots of us have been watching it wind down for a long time.

I'm just feeding back from experience of working there.

Was it on a downward trend 100% , did Brexit add to that 100%

I'm not in anyway disputing what you are saying ,I'm just adding my two cents to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My experiences of the stores were always positive - the staff really made the difference here, so hopefully they will be looked after as promised and find suitable roles afterwards.

The Irish business appeared to receive minimum investment. The stores were becoming tatty, there was no mobile app and the .ie web site - which the business now entirely depended upon - was dated, lacked functionality and was buggy.

It would not have been a multi-million Euro investment to refresh the web site to be the same as the UK version. The products, images, text, catalogue numbers etc. are all the same. I would not be surprised to hear they had the groundwork already done.

This decision was really made many years ago when the UK web site was refreshed and the Irish one was left. I get the feeling Sainsburys just didn't know what to do with it, so just kept it going with no changes. They are operating at a loss now - but would that have been a profit or a smaller loss with the required investment years ago?

Will I miss it? Yes - I often picked up electronics and toys there, pretty much been a customer since it launched. Thanks to them also picked up a PS5 when they were like gold dust.

However, when it's 2023 and your web site shows no results when you search for one of most well known products in the world, it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

Wow. I got 560 results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Proves my point - the web site is buggy. If I search from desktop (not mobile) I get zero results... unless I put a space at the end of the search.

It's not like most of it will be in stock anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They could send remaining stock to Northern Ireland without needing any paperwork. And it would save paperwork on stuff coming from GB to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Max Output - 10.5W Energiser vs 15W Belkin it seems and the Energiser has a micro usb input which the Belkin does not

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/product_page.php?p_code=P0191&l=en

Rated InputMicro-USB:5V/2A

USB-C: 5V/2ARated OutputUSB-A: 5V/2.1A

USB-A: 5V/2.1A

mmTotal Output10.5W (Max.)

----------------------------

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Picked up my “Werner Aluminium Work Platform reduced to €28.80” today. Great value, thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

May only be on certain products but it seems you now have 7 days to pick up a reserved item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if Argos home deliveries are delayed at the moment, have an item that they said 7-9 days and its been over 2 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

Anyone manage to get one of those ssd drives on the non chat thread for 34 euros - likely pricing error - should have been at least 134.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i managed to get a reservation for the Acer laptop - but is that a very good price? Would have an 80 min drive there and back to get it, so wondering if it's worth it....

It really depends on what you need the laptop for. It's a good price for what it is, but is a low to mid spec laptop. If you just need something for a bit of browsing, video calling or office work you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I got one myself, it's very good for the price. It was over €800 in a few places:

https://www.huntoffice.ie/acer-travelmate-p2-tmp214-53-51lf-core-i5-1135g7-win-10-pro-64-bit-iris-xe-graphics-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd-14-1920-x-1080-full-hd-wi-fi-6-shale-black-kbd-uk-nx-vq6ek-00a-6351655.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I also got an Acer laptop, I use it for a small business and study, its perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

if anyone wants the reservation code for this laptop from Galway argos pm me (or it'll go back into stock at 12 tonight and be available to reserve then)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Be careful if ordering anything for delivery. I don't think their website is working properly. I had two large orders that didn't go through (no confirmation email) despite pre-authorisation holds being placed on my card. Customer service confirmed they had no record of either order on their system and couldn't help me. I probably should have known better than to order anything from them given that they are packing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

In all honesty, I can't remember a time when the Argos website did work properly, it has always been rubbish. At the moment, for me at least, it won't check stock or reserve for collection. One of the main reasons why Argos didn't make the gains that other online retailers did during the pandemic, was how unreliable their website was.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I picked up the iPad Air that was posted yesterday. I’m using it to post this. Brilliant bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ECookie13

Has anyone needed to return anything lately to Argos? I got a 4k tv around New years, and its already developing lines; I feel the staff won't be fussy and will just refund due to the closure?

Advertisement