Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

How do you unsubscribe from the app? I signed up to the trial to try it out but its not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 39 caiconafita

bidiots wrote: »
    How do you unsubscribe from the app? I signed up to the trial to try it out but its not for me

You have to call the phone number is 015360818

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

You can pay only €2.50 for the next 3 months.

Just to let you subscribers know that I have just called them to cancell my subscription and they offered me to pay €2.50 a month of the next 3 months.
    The phone number is 015360818
    Good luck.
    it's such a good deal that I wouldn't do it to them,I mean to save e2.50? Now if I was a Cavan man😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've redeemed my rakuten tv points online like below but when I log into my Rakuten account on my Sony TV there's no option but to pay for a movie. Any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

You can pay only €2.50 for the next 3 months.

Just to let you subscribers know that I have just called them to cancell my subscription and they offered me to pay €2.50 a month of the next 3 months.
    The phone number is 015360818
    Good luck.
    it's such a good deal that I wouldn't do it to them,I mean to save e2.50? Now if I was a Cavan man😀

Ditto. 5 euro a month is excellent value and it's important to support journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Lads, how in the face of jesus do you stop all the emails from IT online? I'm subscribed but I'm withered from trying to stop the emails 3, 4, 5, 6 times a day. I've emailed them twice and got zero back! I've tried everything through My Account and "Newsletters" but still getting ****e like the Morning Sports Briefing... driving me up the wall! My next email is going to be asking them to delete my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Miike wrote: »
    Lads, how in the face of jesus do you stop all the emails from IT online? I'm subscribed but I'm withered from trying to stop the emails 3, 4, 5, 6 times a day. I've emailed them twice and got zero back! I've tried everything through My Account and "Newsletters" but still getting ****e like the Morning Sports Briefing... driving me up the wall! My next email is going to be asking them to delete my account.

Wrong paper, this is about The Times, not the Irish Times. Having said that I think there's a section in the right hand side of website when logged in that let's you manage your email subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

dulpit wrote: »
    Wrong paper, this is about The Times, not the Irish Times. Having said that I think there's a section in the right hand side of website when logged in that let's you manage your email subscriptions.

Clearly I could do with the emails to improve my reading and comprehension haha! Sorry about that. However I've tried that and still receive a load of tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Miike wrote: »
    Clearly I could do with the emails to improve my reading and comprehension haha! Sorry about that. However I've tried that and still receive a load of tripe

I had to set up a mail rule to send them to trash as soon as they came in.

Unsubscribing doesn’t make a difference which is a bit shocking considering potential GDPR implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Anyone else getting double-billed? They take 2 X €5 payments back to back from me every month.

I mailed them and they asked me to send them proof!!!!!

Also really dislike the fact that you cannot zoom in on a photo - Its archaic in this day and age.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Anyone else getting double-billed? They take 2 X €5 payments back to back from me every month.

I mailed them and they asked me to send them proof!!!!!

Also really dislike the fact that you cannot zoom in on a photo - Its archaic in this day and age.....
    Na e5 just checked

Hurrache wrote: »

I tried to download the paper this morning and I kept getting an error, that must have been it.

Real shame, they've quite a good set of reporters (Niamh Lyons, Ellen Coyne), and Richie was great.

Also - buy a paper folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Does this mean there will be very limited Irish content henceforth? Will probably unsubscribe if so and move to the IT instead.

Feel sorry for the journalists - a lesson to a lot of people that good journalism is worth paying for. We will miss it when its gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does this mean there will be very limited Irish content henceforth?

From 21 June 2019, staff numbers will reduce from 20 to 3. The 3 staff will have to produce 4-6 articles per day (as reported by the Irish Times).

If you are writing 6 articles in a day, you are doing little more than editing wire stories.

i.e: Far less content. Far less investigative journalism. Your 60 EUR a year is going to give less bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The news on VM there just said the sunday times will be unaffected so there will still be an Irish edition of that perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The news on VM there just said the sunday times will be unaffected so there will still be an Irish edition of that perhaps.

That's what I got from that report as well.
    It's only the Times in Ireland and not the Sunday Times.
    Sure at the price they charge for it on a Sunday, it must be making money.
    Rest of week wouldn't have thought they could sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

dulpit wrote: »
    Hurrache wrote: »

I tried to download the paper this morning and I kept getting an error, that must have been it.

Real shame, they've quite a good set of reporters (Niamh Lyons, Ellen Coyne), and Richie was great.

You would have still had access to the U.K. edition and the magazines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Birneybau wrote: »
    You would have still had access to the U.K. edition and the magazines?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Disappointing news. The Irish team were doing a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

JTMan wrote: »
    From 21 June 2019, staff numbers will reduce from 20 to 3. The 3 staff will have to produce 4-6 articles per day (as reported by the Irish Times).

If you are writing 6 articles in a day, you are doing little more than editing wire stories.

i.e: Far less content. Far less investigative journalism. Your 60 EUR a year is going to give less bang for your buck.

I'm a full time copywriter/journalist. That workload is simply not doable without writing junk, unless they're outsourcing and editing. The Times would become the equivalent of a fanzine.

I notice that there doesn't seem to be anything in today's paper (the online version at least) about the news of their closure. Seems a bit odd that it'd be covered in the Irish Times but not their own paper..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Just curious what people plan on doing. I'm a subscriber bit I'm wondering am I better off looking at the IT now. Probably just suck it and see.

Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

uRbaN wrote: »
    Just curious what people plan on doing. I'm a subscriber bit I'm wondering am I better off looking at the IT now. Probably just suck it and see.

Sad news.

I'm going to wait for a while and see but thinking about moving to IT if they still have the New York Times access bundled. Not too many other options left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sad news.

If they stick with a fiver a month I'll be sticking with them. I mean, I regularly buy T3 or Stuff for more than that for about an hour's worth of reading on gadgets...

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

If they stick with a fiver a month I'll be sticking with them. I mean, I regularly buy T3 or Stuff for more than that for about an hour's worth of reading on gadgets...

You should subscribe to Readly for those

Sad news.

I'll be bailing, will probably switch to the IT.

Sad news.

Same,Irish times is a rip off,examiner gone to hell,bar GAA news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Same,Irish times is a rip off,examiner gone to hell,bar GAA news

The other thing is I'm not as focused on the Irish content as others in this thread seem to be. I usually jump to T2 first thing and then maybe flick through Comments. I might very well keep up the subscription even if there was no specifically Irish coverage at all...

Advertisement