Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adverts lens

Options
  • 06-04-2019 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Looking for some advice on a lens I purchased on adverts.
    I needed a certain lens for some work and I went on to adverts
    The seller had the lens advertised as great condition with the standard good lens caps and pouch both in the pictures and in the description.
    I questioned the condition both on the chat and via pm
    I was assured everything was good and so we agreed the sale via post.
    Upon receiving the item which was badly scratched and was wrapped in bubble wrap with no hood, lens caps or pouch
    I immediately contacted the seller who apologised and promised to make it right.
    Im reasonable and I wouldn’t expect like new conditions on lens but this was badly scratched all over the exterior. If I had known the facts at least then I’d know what I had agreed to as the sellers was using the excellent condition as bargaining tool when we were trying to agree on the price.
    I have tried contacting the seller since they promised to make this right but it’s been a week now with no response.
    Can adverts do anything in relation to the seller ie contact the seller or even block the seller as it is very clear from the ad, comments and pms that I was mis sold?
    I have tried using the contact us area on the app but have yet to receive a response

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’ll flag this to Boards HQ, see if there’s anything they can do. They’ll be back in the office Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

dudara wrote: »
    I’ll flag this to Boards HQ, see if there’s anything they can do. They’ll be back in the office Monday

Appreciate it dudara, thanks

OmegaGene wrote: »
    How did you pay for the lens ?
    Hopefully you used PayPal and can start a return process.
    The feedback system is the best thing to use to warn other buyers off using the seller, I doubt adverts will get involved as it’s a deal between you and the seller sadly and adverts are merely a host

Transfered from Revolut to their account, I know lesson learnt.
    I have since used til the feedback system. Yeah I figured but what if the seller is using their platform to blatantly sell items not as described using pictures, description and private messages. Can they stop the seller from selling again?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

skinny90 wrote: »
    Transfered from Revolut to their account, I know lesson learnt.
    I have since used til the feedback system. Yeah I figured but what if the seller is using their platform to blatantly sell items not as described using pictures, description and private messages. Can they stop the seller from selling again?
    You need to contact Adverts staff directly. They can do various things including banning the seller in question or contacting the seller with a view to finding a resolution. If you are out a lot of money and if you were to proceed with making a complaint to the guards then the staff would cooperate in full with any investigation which would include passing on all personal information they hold on the seller...upon receipt of proper paperwork obviously.

Best of luck with it anyhow :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi skinny90,

Unfortunately we don't really have any connections within Adverts any more and we'd be acting as a middle man in communications (which could result in miscommunication). Adverts staff don't work weekends, so hopefully you'll hear from someone today (or perhaps drop a little reminder if you don't).

I've checked Revolut's Help area as well and it does mention that if you tried to resolve the issue with the merchant but were unsuccessful, you can get in touch with their agents - Check the Help (under More) and search for "Refund".

Hopefully one of the above can help. Otherwise, you may have to go the legal route.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I have not heard anything back from adverts team.

I have messaged them a few times but no response.

Is there an email I can write to them on?

Thanks

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi skinny90, you could try hello@adverts.ie which we think is a support e-mail (but afraid we're not 100% on that). Also looking to see if there's anyone else who you could contact.

Hi Mark and all,

Thanks, I have just realised Adverts was set up using my very first email which I log into once in a blue moon.

I can see they have tried to get back to me.

I will engage with them and see what can be done.

Thanks to all for your help

Vinnie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Contact Revolut I think they can reverse the transfer

They can only reverse the transfer at the payees consent to reverse. Quite silly really.

Adverts have advised me to contact the gardai. Not sure what the Gaurds will do or even what grounds I have to report. Anyone with any history in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shoulda gone with Paypal.

Adverts have had known scam artists reported to them and done sweet FA, they don't really seem to care.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Adverts have had known scam artists reported to them and done sweet FA, they don't really seem to care.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. Trust me, I know.

muffler wrote: »
    Nothing could be further from the truth. Trust me, I know.

Hey muffler,

Thanks, Any Idea how to approach this to the gards?

The customer service rep team have advised on reaching out to the gards however I am just curious what can be done by doing so.

Can adverts further help gards on this matter?

Am I wasting my time etc

Thanks

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hey muffler,

Thanks, Any Idea how to approach this to the gards?

The customer service rep team have advised on reaching out to the gards however I am just curious what can be done by doing so.

Can adverts further help gards on this matter?

Am I wasting my time etc

Thanks
    If the team on Adverts support have advised on contacting the Gardai then thats what you should do. They (Adverts) would have tried everything in their limited powers to seek a resolution of some type but if a crime has been committed then it is out of their control.

So you should visit your local Garda barracks and take whatever paperwork you have with you and make a formal complaint and a statement. If the Gardai believe this is worth investigating (and there are times when you really have to pressurise them) then they will contact Adverts with the relevant legal paperwork whereby they can be given the name and contact details of the alleged "defaulter" for want of a better word.

Advertisement