Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnród Éireann Strategy 2027 Update

• 05-03-2021 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭

Iarnród Éireann have updated their strategy document which is available here:

https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/IrishRail/media/Content/About%20Us/IE-Strategy-2027_Final_One-Page_20210114.pdf

Some of the infrastructure improvements outlined (aside from the DART+ programme) include the following up to 2040:
    • 4 tracking Hazelhatch – Kildare and 3 tracking Kildare to Portarlington on Cork Line
    • 3 or 4 tracking north of Connolly to Malahide on Belfast Line
    • Double tracking sections of Intercity network to facilitate reliable services at increased frequencies, with second platforms at existing stations including:
    • Double tracking Portarlington – Athlone
    • Double tracking Maynooth – Mullingar / Longford
    • Double tracking Athenry – Oranmore – Galway
    • Dynamic passing Loops / additional platforms Limerick – Limerick Junction
    • Additional platform at Millstreet on Tralee Line
    • Additional platform at Woodlawn on Galway Line
    • Passing loop between Claremorris and Westport
    • Reconfiguration of Sligo station and passing loop at Ballymote
    • Passing loop at Sixmilebridge on Ennis line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'm replying to this post from this Galway-Athenry thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058116343
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Frankly, it's hard to see how any more investment in the Dublin-Belfast line can be justified when the service doesn't even warrant hourly frequencies.

Dublin-Belfast certainly would warrant an hourly service, but the reason that there isn't one is that there simply isn't the rolling stock available to deliver it. There are only three Enterprise sets which limits what can be done.

The strategy document above makes it clear that an hourly service is the plan with new rolling stock.

The improvements on the line will also facilitate improved journey times for longer distance suburban services to/from Dundalk and Drogheda that DART+ may not deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Wonder when will we finally see the southbound passing loop at Clongriffin built? Station, platform, and customers all in place over 10 years now, and IE have still not even asked TFI to fund... Northern suburban line has deteriorated so much in recent years, journey times so slow. See so many cars driving now from towns in Fingal each morning.

To be honest, rail transport is filled with so many shiny brochures in the past 20 years. We are so weak on funding and delivery.
    Within Fingal for example, what has actual funding in place with delivery dates? The opening line in this brochure already indicates this was prepared 2 years ago @ this stage...
    The roof in my local station is full of holes, and despite asking for it to be fixed several times, I am told there is no funding available. If we cannot get the basics right and daily maintenance is so poor, I think TFI might divert the funding elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

LXFlyer wrote: »

https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/IrishRail/media/Content/About%20Us/IE-Strategy-2027_Final_One-Page_20210114.pdf

Some of the infrastructure improvements outlined (aside from the DART+ programme) include:
    • 4 tracking Hazelhatch – Kildare and 3 tracking Kildare to Portarlington on Cork Line
    • Double tracking sections of Intercity network to facilitate reliable services at increased frequencies, with second platforms at existing stations including:

These projects are in the 2040 plan. The 2027 only included 4-tracking Citywest to Heuston.
    The 4/3 tracking to Kildare/Portarlington will be key to enabling faster and more frequent intercity and more frequent commuter services but that is still up to 20 years away.

kc56 wrote: »
    These projects are in the 2040 plan. The 2027 only included 4-tracking Citywest to Heuston.
    The 4/3 tracking to Kildare/Portarlington will be key to enabling faster and more frequent intercity and more frequent commuter services but that is still up to 20 years away.

Sorry - you're right - I'll amend the original post.

However I would see some of the enhancements happening far sooner than 2040.

I think you meant Parkwest and not Citywest by the way - that element is part of the DART+ programme.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Wonder when will we finally see the southbound passing loop at Clongriffin built? Station, platform, and customers all in place over 10 years now, and IE have still not even asked TFI to fund... Northern suburban line has deteriorated so much in recent years, journey times so slow. See so many cars driving now from towns in Fingal each morning.

Presumably that will fall under the DART+ programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Sorry - you're right - I'll amend the original post.

However I would see some of the enhancements happening far sooner than 2040.

I think you meant Parkwest and not Citywest by the way - that element is part of the DART+ programme.

Yes - Parkwest.

Removing the 2-1 merge at Parkwest inbound will be of great benefit as so many trains, especially commuter, often have to wait or slow at that merge. I recall being on Portlaoise-Heuston trains waiting for 3 intercities to pass. Many ICs are also held at that merge. Not so bad outbound.

I also imaging they might have to change the track order to separate commuter from IC to avoid crossing overs on approach to Heuston. If the northern tracks were allocated to commuter/DART and the southern tracks to IC that would give such a separation slow/slow/fast/fast instead of the current slow/fast/fast/slow. That would give unrestricted access to DARTs to PPT and beyond.

kc56 wrote: »
    Yes - Parkwest.

Removing the 2-1 merge at Parkwest inbound will be of great benefit as so many trains, especially commuter, often have to wait or slow at that merge. I recall being on Portlaoise-Heuston trains waiting for 3 intercities to pass. Many ICs are also held at that merge. Not so bad outbound.

I also imaging they might have to change the track order to separate commuter from IC to avoid crossing overs on approach to Heuston. If the northern tracks were allocated to commuter/DART and the southern tracks to IC that would give such a separation slow/slow/fast/fast instead of the current slow/fast/fast/slow. That would give unrestricted access to DARTs to PPT and beyond.

That is all under DART+ as I said and yes it does involve switching the fast/slow lines around.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Bsharp

The 2027 Strategy was developed to align with committed funding under the current National Development Plan.

Irish rail is hoping to get more funding to deliver the '2040 Plan' projects as soon as possible, and meet Project Ireland 2040 ambitions in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How do they plan to double track west of Maynooth when we've already been told that it's impossible to double track at Kilcock?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How do they plan to double track west of Maynooth when we've already been told that it's impossible to double track at Kilcock?

Where has it been said that it is "impossible"?

• Advertisement

DaCor wrote: »

Irish Rail aren't saying that it is impossible in that statement.

They are effectively saying that it wasn't in the original DART+ project scope and the current transport strategy, and as such wasn't considered, but that it may form part of the future strategy if it changes.

Oh and that it would require a lot of work!

That is not the same as impossible.

Thats what it sounds like, oh and that it would cost a packet and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Where has it been said that it is "impossible"?

Yep, they didn't say that, but made loads of engineering excuses not to.

Kilcock is rapidly growing and it really looks like a major mistake not bringing the DART there (even just 50% of the ones that go to/from Maynooth).

The more Kilcock grows, the more disruption the eventual works will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that's ultimately it, the work, disruption and cost will be higher when it does get done.
    and realistically it will be done because chances are there will be an ultimately successful campaign by residents of the town to do it given the depot will apparently be on the door step more or less.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Yep, they didn't say that, but made loads of engineering excuses not to.

Kilcock is rapidly growing and it really looks like a major mistake not bringing the DART there (even just 50% of the ones that go to/from Maynooth).

The more Kilcock grows, the more disruption the eventual works will bring.

Well they are saying it wasn't in the original project scope, the NTA Greater Dublin Transport strategy, and more importantly in the budget for DART+.

For it to happen the project would need additional funding due to the additional works. That's the bottom line.

We will have to wait and see if the NTA accept that there is a case for bringing the DART to Kilcock - personally I think it's a no-brainer, but obviously the additional cost will be the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Could they not just built two siding just west of the town so one platform could suffice?

Trains a pulls in emptys passengers and moves into siding a

Train b arrives 5 minuites later, emptys passengers and enters siding b.

Train A enters the station again fills up and heads back towards the city.

Surely this is a simple enough concept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Some of the infrastructure improvements outlined (aside from the DART+ programme) include the following up to 2040:

Was Ballinasloe - Athlone not double track before. I know Ballinasloe - Athenry was always single track. It's a very long section to leave as single line if going to the expense of doubling and possibly electrifying the rest. Ballinasloe - Athlone must the longest straight section of line in the country but its riddled with speed restrictions. I would've thought doubling and improving this section of line to bring it up to maximum line speed would be key to journey time reductions.

How would the treble track south of Kildare work?

An extra down line between Kildare and Monasterevin and an extra up between Portarlington and Monasterevin?

It would be good if the Waterford line could be extended form Cherryville to Kildare and remove the need to slow and often wait to enter or exit the line at Cherryville. Most Waterford services stop at Kildare so switching lines there would be a lot more practical. A bi-directional third line which would also back up as a slow down line for commuter trains would benefit all services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

IE 222 wrote: »
    Was Ballinasloe - Athlone not double track before. I know Ballinasloe - Athenry was always single track.

What??

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    What??

Im open to correction but I'm pretty sure I read before that a section of that line was only single track. It might of been Athenry - Woodlawn rather than Ballinasloe.

IE's published plan above is to double Portarlington - Athlone and Galway - Athenry. I presume that means Athenry- Athlone will remain single track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

How can it be impossible when it was origionally double track, that was later singled.

The problem is the Station and/or the bridge would need "work"

How can it be impossible when it was origionally double track, that was later singled.

The problem is the Station and/or the bridge would need "work"

All of which is rather easy to get around.

The bridge was altered when the station opened. A flat deck was put in and second track can fit under although a second platform can't.

It would be rather easy to put a turn back island to the west of the bridge leaving the current platform for Intercity services.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

wonder what they mean by reconfiguration of Sligo station?

wonder what they mean by reconfiguration of Sligo station?

Modernise track layout. Likely straighten and extend the end of platform 2 so they can extend the stabling track and possibly reinstate the second one. The points for the stabling track encroach onto platform 2, well at least they use to. Unless its changed in recent years reversing the crossover points would allow them loop arriving and departing trains on the double section without needing a second empty platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Doesn't appear to be any mention of the southeastern line or does this fall under Dart+. Would be nice to see them upgrade as far south as Wicklow if not even further. I know its crossing threads, but as was mentioned (possibly by yourself LXflyer) part of the solution to the n11/m11 upgrade could be to build a park and ride close to Rathnew with good links to the local and national road network.

prunudo wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be any mention of the southeastern line or does this fall under Dart+. Would be nice to see them upgrade as far south as Wicklow if not even further. I know its crossing threads, but as was mentioned (possibly by yourself LXflyer) part of the solution to the n11/m11 upgrade could be to build a park and ride close to Rathnew with good links to the local and national road network.

Page 33 refers to increasing services to every two hours along the line to Wexford or Rosslare.

The most immediate priority right now with the southeastern line (as outlined by IE Chairman Frank Allen yesterday) is to deal with the coastal erosion and shore up the permanent way so that it is safe.

As to your suggestion, a P & R there wouldn't be a bad idea. But it's not in the planning at the moment.

There is also mention of 20min peek frequency to Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

There is also mention of 20min peek frequency to Gorey.

That would be a welcome increase to services if that comes fruition.

prunudo wrote: »
    That would be a welcome increase to services if that comes fruition.

Wont be anytime soon. It will be a transfer at Greystones unless they plan to use the battery units for regional services. Gorey, Carlow, Mullingar and Dundalk all marked for 20min peek 30 min off peek.

• Advertisement

Wont be anytime soon. It will be a transfer at Greystones unless they plan to use the battery units for regional services. Gorey, Carlow, Mullingar and Dundalk all marked for 20min peek 30 min off peek.

I think that is exactly what they would plan on using on the outer commuter services.

Advertisement