Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dare I say a slight upgrade on the latest ICON

iconeu_uk1-1-32-0.png?22-21

Can't say tomorrow night won't be entertaining! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it seems like Coleraine will be the place to be on Monday Morning!

Scotland will get plastered too by the looks of things.

You look in a bit of a sweet spot for this Nacho

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

So it seems like Coleraine will be the place to be on Monday Morning!

Scotland will get plastered too by the looks of things.

Coleraine is in ULSTER so we are sorted
    Should have loads of photos

Ulster may not be the best of the best though this time ;) All depends of the exact trajectory of these fronts. The real good spots could be around the border counties and across to Mayo and Galway

iconeu_uk1-45-41-0.png?22-22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Dare I say a slight upgrade on the latest ICON

Can't say tomorrow night won't be entertaining! :p

Looks like I'm just on the wrong side of the knife edge this time. More flooding looks likely as things are pretty poor around Galway already.

Looks like I'm just on the wrong side of the knife edge this time. More flooding looks likely as things are pretty poor around Galway already.

Better placed than us Dubs - we have an onshore breeze which will probably do it for us. Expecting a real mess of rain, sleet and a few flakes.

This one of those setups where I see rain and Gonzo, for example, a little inland has snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Expecting this low to keep trending south. Could stay dry in Coleraine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Will the onshore breeze affect far inland? Like Meath/Dublin coasts obviously but what about Kildare and outer commuter belt to Dublin west. Assuming you are north enough to be within the sweet spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Will the onshore breeze affect far inland? Like Meath/Dublin coasts obviously but what about Kildare and outer commuter belt to Dublin west. Assuming you are north enough to be within the sweet spot!

Usually in these situations it’s Newbridge/The Curragh and westwards that normally see the white gold

• Advertisement

Shelter from the on shore breeze won't be enough on this occasion though with much milder air making in roads anyway.

I think Kildare, Meath will get snow but it's a question of how how long it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Better placed than us Dubs - we have an onshore breeze which will probably do it for us. Expecting a real mess of rain, sleet and a few flakes.

This one of those setups where I see rain and Gonzo, for example, a little inland has snow.

It looks good for me ...... I’m hoping anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Will I be able to get out of my house in North Kerry with all this snow in the Midlands?

:D

I'm sorry, I just had to ask :;
    I'll probably see it in the Reeks anyway. The last lot hasn't melted yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Bring it on. I love going for a night-time walk in falling snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock Airport TAF has Sleet to start off with tomorrow night turning to Snow between 10pm and midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This evening's soundings look epic for much of the midlands, west and north for a narrow window tomorrow night. All profiles are showing a deep saturated layer just below zero, which is the optimum profile for heavy snowfall. The only thing is it will quickly turn to heavy rain once the window passes.

The eastern coastal counties are stuck with that warm marine layer, which should make it cold rain overall. But watch stations such as Mullingar and Ballyhaise this time tomorrow. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What ever about snow, more moderately high accumulations look likely over much of the country between now and Monday morning. As RedSteve said, won't help with any flooding problems.

AHWyk6i.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    What ever about snow, more moderately high accumulations look likely over much of the country between now and Monday morning. As RedSteve said, won't help with any flooding problems.

AHWyk6i.png

Yep "flooding" rather than snow should be the emphasis of this OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Here comes the rain again....

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Clare and Tipperary

UPDATE:
    A spell of rain tonight into Monday morning will lead to accumulations of between 20 to 25mm, with higher totals possible in upland areas. 
    The rain is likely to be preceded by a period of sleet and snow in parts of Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster, before turning to rain later in the night. 
    As the ground is saturated at the moment and river levels are elevated the combined effect of rainfall and snow melt may lead to some localised surface and river flooding.

Valid: 20:00 Sunday 23/02/2020 to 08:00 Monday 24/02/2020

Issued: 09:12 Sunday 23/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

3am forecast probability chart for 2cm or more of snow. Highest in the NW.

9FfBpTI.png

Reporters to look out for tonight: Pangea, Nacho, Donegal Storm, Goldfinch, Pauldry. OwenC.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Agree with other posters regarding the snow risk which is elevated through much of the week particularly midweek. Not just overnight tonight to watch.

Hopefully we get some pics from the sweet spots.

Maybe should change the thread title?

"Week of 24th Feb --> snowfall risk"

:)

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yep "flooding" rather than snow should be the emphasis of this OP

Added a note

4186_tkt4.png

AROME high def going for widespread wintry precipitation and snow across a good chunk of Leinster for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Will I be able to get out of my house in North Kerry with all this snow in the Midlands?

:D

I'm sorry, I just had to ask :;
    I'll probably see it in the Reeks anyway. The last lot hasn't melted yet.

Ah easy for thee! Just get a tea tray and away you go down the mountain! Out here we will have to swim for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Reporters to look out for tonight: Pangea, Nacho, Donegal Storm, Goldfinch, Pauldry. OwenC.

Shame about the timing just, don't think I'd be fit for much tomorrow if I was up till after 3am.

Plenty snow on the hills here this morning though snow line quite high, I'd guess around 500m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Shame about the timing just, don't think I'd be fit for much tomorrow if I was up till after 3am.

Plenty snow on the hills here this morning though snow line quite high, I'd guess around 500m

Or hit the bed around 8 and set alarm for 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

4186_tkt4.png

AROME high def going for widespread wintry precipitation and snow across a good chunk of Leinster for a while.
    I'm guessing that this high definition chart takes topography into account as the hills in my immediate vicinity show up as little pink dots of snow, West of Kilcock. The hills are in the 130 - 150m range in height.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I met an elderly neighbour out walking on the road earlier. He pointed to the top of Nephin and said "the old people used to say that the snow up there is waiting for more snow at this time of the year".
    One way or the other, I hope that a bit of lampost watching (or back door light in my case) might be on the cards later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

We have a better chance of lying snow on Tuesday, front coming in from the north west due point around 0c and freezing levels down about 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Arpege shows less snow than yesterdays runs with rain mostly for Meath, Dublin and Kildare, snow in the midlands, north-west and Ulster.

arpegeuk-1-22-0.png?23-11

GFS has toned down even further from yesterday with a very brief moment of snow over the midlands with snow mostly across NI and perhaps Donegal.

21-574UK.GIF?23-6

Hirlam moves the snowrisk north from yesterdays runs as well, keeping it to the north midlands, NI and the north-west. Rain along eastern counties too.

hirlamuk-1-20-0.png?23-10

Icon takes in more of the midlands for some temporary snow, rain along eastern counties away from high ground.

iconeu_uk1-1-16-0.png?23-12

A definite downgrade all around for tonights snow in eastern and more southern areas and central areas.

Still looks game on for Ulster, NI and maybe parts of the north midlands and very north of Leinster. Rain and flooding will be more of an issue for most parts tonight. Lying snow for any length of time is probably more restricted to high ground and parts of NI.

Advertisement