Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering has anyone ever seen tinned clams in clam juice in shops in Ireland. Want to make a clam chowder for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone see frozen whole cooked lobster in main supermarkets?

My local Lidl D3 had them before christmas but no sign now. Just thought of it as a new years eve supper.

Edit- got sorted in Tesco Artane.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone ever seen tinned clams in clam juice in shops in Ireland. Want to make a clam chowder for a change

Fraid not... think I saw frozen clams in a seafood mix in Iceland if that could work as a Plan B.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

New to this cooking lark, I've a good Ikea frying pan & a griddle pan I got on special in Aldi a while back, but I want to start making batches of veggie chili and currys and stuff like that. Just wondering would anyone have any pot recommendations that won't break the bank? Thanks.

Been looking at stuff like this in Argos:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9170089/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C19780847%7CCookware%7C14418537/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418537%7CSaucepans%7C14418542.htm#tabrev

• Advertisement

New to this cooking lark, I've a good Ikea frying pan & a griddle pan I got on special in Aldi a while back, but I want to start making batches of veggie chili and currys and stuff like that. Just wondering would anyone have any pot recommendations that won't break the bank? Thanks.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9170089/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C19780847%7CCookware%7C14418537/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418537%7CSaucepans%7C14418542.htm#tabrev

I bought a larger version of this a few years ago. A fraction of the price of a La Crueset and as long as you don’t touch it with anything metal, should last just as long.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/roasting-ovenware/cast-iron-round-casserole-dish-red-5.2l/054749.html

They also have this one, slightly smaller than the one you were looking at but much cheaper.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/roasting-ovenware/prochef-die-cast-casserole-24cm/062298.html

Might be worth a visit to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Personally I'd stay away from anything with a nonstick coating for doing the likes of currys or chilies as the coating wears away after time. Cast Iron like Gloomtastic! recommended above is good but if you’re doing really big batches the overall weight of the pot and contents can become an issue.
    I do a lot of batch cooking and I find a heavy based stainless pot that I picked up in TK Maxx to be the best option. TK Maxx can be really hit and miss but they do tend have good bargains.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Put something new in front of the kids, no way am I touching that. But head down to the Polish neighbours, and come back raving about the tomato soup, the divils.

Boiled chicken bones on sunday, so I have a stock ready to go. Just need a tried and tested recipe. Hit me with a suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So cold today so I lit the gas cooker in sheer self defence and in a large pan threw a frozen chicken breast, a small pack of frozen mince, a carrot, an onion and an apple. simmering away now.

I know from past experience the result will be a delicious soup.. and may add other bits as time goes by...

mmmmmmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mueller lite now comes in gin and tonic flavour. Just saying :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thought I switched the slow cooker to high on Friday night, when doing a pork shoulder. There was no smell wafting through the house the next morning. Balls. And the couple driving up from Carnew love this dish. Plan B, bbq. I wait for them to arrive till I turn it on to heat up. No gas.
    Finally, kick everyone out of the kitchen, so I can grill it all.
    The pork was cooking the whole day then till 9. Pulled and marinating in sauce for a 4pm dinner today. Might have the neighbours down tomorrow evening too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can I ask - what formula do y’all use to convert plain flour to self-raising? If plain is all you have, how much baking powder do you add to make it equivalent to self-raising? Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Can I ask - what formula do y’all use to convert plain flour to self-raising? If plain is all you have, how much baking powder do you add to make it equivalent to self-raising? Thanks!

I'd normally add around 1 tsp (as in, actual teaspoon, not tiny measuring cup) to 200-300g plain flour.
    It's not exact by any means, but I find it works ok for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭phormium

Depends what you are making, scones for example take more than cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what formula do y’all use to convert plain flour to self-raising?
    some "plain flours" contain raising agents so check the packs.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279507792
    Odlums Plain Organic Flour 1Kg
    Ingredients
    Organic Wheat Flour

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250829294
    Odlums Cream/Plain Flour 1Kg
    Ingredients
    Wheat Flour, Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate, Acid Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate)

No idea how much, I really wish the regulations made them declare % beside all ingredients.

phormium wrote: »
    Depends what you are making, scones for example take more than cake.

No phormium, I want an easy answer! :pac:

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd normally add around 1 tsp (as in, actual teaspoon, not tiny measuring cup) to 200-300g plain flour.
    It's not exact by any means, but I find it works ok for me
    rubadub wrote: »
    some "plain flours" contain raising agents so check the packs.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279507792
    Odlums Plain Organic Flour 1Kg
    Ingredients
    Organic Wheat Flour

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250829294
    Odlums Cream/Plain Flour 1Kg
    Ingredients
    Wheat Flour, Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate, Acid Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate)

No idea how much, I really wish the regulations made them declare % beside all ingredients.

Okay, good to know. It will be trial and error.

I think I’ll just make a small amount of something and test different amounts.

Anyone know is rice vinegar different to rice wine vinegar? Using an American recipe and unsure if they just call it rice vinegar when referring to rice wine vinegar.

Also when recipes call for chilles to be used but for them to be de-seeded whats the reasoning behind that? Is it to avoid the dish being too hot? I never de-seed them anyway but was wondering if there is some reason behind it other than reducing the heat of the dish.

Anyone know is rice vinegar different to rice wine vinegar? Using an American recipe and unsure if they just call it rice vinegar when referring to rice wine vinegar.

Also when recipes call for chilles to be used but for them to be de-seeded whats the reasoning behind that? Is it to avoid the dish being too hot? I never de-seed them anyway but was wondering if there is some reason behind it other than reducing the heat of the dish.

Don’t know the answer to the first one but I’d just use what you have.

As for deseeding chillis, yes it is to get the heat out. If you don’t want it hot then you need to cut the white membrane off as well.

Whatcha making? :)

Thanks Gloom, yeah I thought heat might be the reason but just seems a bit silly to have chilli on a recipe and then remove the main part of the heat, youd wonder why they dont just specify to use less chillis but keep the seeds in. Anyway...

Im making a chinese ginger beef and scallions, the beef has been marinating now for a couple of hours so Im looking forward to this trying this one.

Have a key lime pie on the go too (inspired by the limes being on the Aldi Super Six this week!) but the recipe on BBC called for a single can (397g) of condensed milk but also to use a 22cm/8 inch tin. The biscuit/butter base is chilling in the fridge now but Im not so sure 397g of condensed milk with the juice & zest of 4 limes and 3 egg yolks is going to go very far as a topping in an 8 inch tin. I should have just bought two tins instead of listening to the recipe.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/key-lime-pie-1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A key lime pie filling shouldn’t be very thick, and given you whip all the ingredients, that’ll add more air and volume. I expect the ratios in the recipe are correct (also, if you doubled the condensed milk, you’d have to double everything else in the filling which would probably make it too much filling).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks Gloom, yeah I thought heat might be the reason but just seems a bit silly to have chilli on a recipe and then remove the main part of the heat, youd wonder why they dont just specify to use less chillis but keep the seeds in. Anyway...

Im making a chinese ginger beef and scallions, the beef has been marinating now for a couple of hours so Im looking forward to this trying this one.
    1[/url]

Heat isn't the only element to chillies.
    If you use less chillies with the seeds in, you won't get much less chilli flavour.
    I usually deseed as the seeds don't really have flavour, just heat. That way you can use more chillies for a given heat level.

Some of the very hot chillies like scoch bonnet or habernaro have great flavour in the flesh.

I also love Korean chilli flakes, they have very little heat but loads of flavour - you can be very generous with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As for deseeding chillis, yes it is to get the heat out. If you don’t want it hot then you need to cut the white membrane off as well.
    I read the seeds do not contain much heat at all, its really the pith/membrane does and it is usually removed a lot while taking out the seeds, and the seeds may be covered in the hot chemical from the pith. So if somebody is very careful about taking out only the seeds they might not get much reduction in heat.

Faith wrote: »
    A key lime pie filling shouldn’t be very thick, and given you whip all the ingredients, that’ll add more air and volume. I expect the ratios in the recipe are correct (also, if you doubled the condensed milk, you’d have to double everything else in the filling which would probably make it too much filling).

yeah you were right Faith, a few minutes in the mixer had pumped up the volume and the recipe worked well. Only mistake was using cheapo Aldi digestives as the base, there must be better biscuits out there for pie & cheesecake bases. Saw another recipe call for Hob Nobs, might try them next time instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Anyone know where I could get these guys in Ireland/UK or even Europe?

They seem to be incredibly common in the US where they're referred to as "sizzle plates" whereas on this side of the Atlantic, searches for the term return heavier cast irons versions. The closet I've come to finding something suitable, at least in terms of cheaper aluminium options, are the likes of Vogue Aluminium Baking Trays but even the smallest option there is bigger than what I was looking for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try Stock Design near Wagamama/St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, or other similar kitchen/restaurant supplies shops. Look for small bussing trays/ waiter trays, they should come in a range of sizes.

Otherwise there's this kind of thing:
    https://www.restaurantsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sizzle%20plates

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nisbets in the Ilac are often better for more industrial style catering kit (except maybe bar stuff as Stock have always covered that well) like that dish; Stock is more for consumer design / premium consumer brands I find.

So I tried to make Cornmeal pancakes the other night to serve with a Brazilian Chicken Curry (that was posted in the Slow Cooker thread).

Searched BBC Food and came across this recipe for waffles that could also be used for pancakes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/citrus_jerk_chicken_with_93427

Followed the ingredients/method etc but ended up with a big bowl of lumpy dryness.

What’s wrong with the recipe? I think too much flour/cornmeal. The recipe was for four, the amount I had in the mixing bowl would have made 10+

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Opened a litre of milk this morning and it’s on the turn. Anything I can do with it?

I’m on a low carb diet at the moment so something without spuds, grains, or sugar would be ideal. I could make a load of pancakes for the toddler, but with a whole litre of milk?! The freezer would be jammed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yogurt? Or make pancakes with one half, and freeze the other half for the next time you have to make pancakes. Or for when you need buttermilk.

Advertisement