Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Raoul

54and56 wrote: »
    No, not yet. Just sent my cylinder off to be refilled at Argos for the 3rd/4th time. I have the refill adapter but haven't gotten round to getting the CO2 cylinder yet.

It's on the to-do list but hasn't risen to the top yet :o

Well hurry up. I need you to be the guinea pig. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Seconded! Would help if you got the cheaper adaptor as the co2 cylinders seem to be readily available and similar in price (AJ Edge in Bray came up a few times in previous threads)......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

robbe wrote: »
    Seconded! Would help if you got the cheaper adaptor as the co2 cylinders seem to be readily available and similar in price (AJ Edge in Bray came up a few times in previous threads)......

Ah here, now i feel under pressure!!

Will have some spare time in the run up to Xmas so will aim to get it done before the new refill needs to be refilled.

Ah here, now i feel under pressure!!

Will have some spare time in the run up to Xmas so will aim to get it done before the new refill needs to be refilled.

Excellent can't wait. Ha

Hi,

Just about to spend another €18 on an exchange cylinder in Argos and this got me thinking (again) about trying to go down the DIY route. There are websites with the adaptor available but it's around €50 which seems overkill given it's really just a modified valve. Saw this on aliexpress which at €20 is more acceptable but not sure if anyone has successfully refilled containers themselves. I know the gas can be got relatively easily but this aspect has put me off - has anyone taken the plunge and done the refills themselves?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804108857.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.77362303a2dpX8#feedback

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone in this thread has done the DIY yet. All waiting on someone to try it out and report back.

robbe wrote: »
    Hi,

Just about to spend another €18 on an exchange cylinder in Argos and this got me thinking (again) about trying to go down the DIY route. There are websites with the adaptor available but it's around €50 which seems overkill given it's really just a modified valve. Saw this on aliexpress which at €20 is more acceptable but not sure if anyone has successfully refilled containers themselves. I know the gas can be got relatively easily but this aspect has put me off - has anyone taken the plunge and done the refills themselves?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804108857.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.77362303a2dpX8#feedback

I got this one from Amazon.co.uk for about €20 delivered - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeffergarden-Filling-Cylinder-Connector-SodaStream/dp/B07QSVKXCG/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=jeffergarden+sodastream&qid=1574675376&sr=8-16

Looks well made but yet to be used in anger as I haven't gotten a CO2 cylinder :o

I also purchased 2 X sodastream compatible cylinders from https://www.co2-adapter.com/co2-cylinder as the one supplied with my new Sodastream has the new "non-return" valve which makes refilling more of a challenge. Apparently the old cylinders without the non-return type valve are much easier to re-fill and are compatible with all SodaStream machines so having a couple of those should keep things simple and allow an empty cylinder to be replaced with a full one by the kids giving me plenty of time to re-fill the empty one.

If when I eventually get round to sourcing a CO2 cylinder the adapter I got from Amazon doesn't work or is too fiddly I'll probably buy one of these https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter but it's important to get the EU version as the US and Australia have different standards.

Some good info on the different valve types you can have on the sodastream cylinders here https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter/cylinder and on the two types of CO2 cylinders that are generally available here https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter/gas-bottle.

I don't like the idea of having to turn the CO2 cylinder upside down each time I want to do a refill so my preference is to find a CO2 cylinder and re-fill source with a Dip tube Valve design.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got this one from Amazon.co.uk for about €20 delivered - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeffergarden-Filling-Cylinder-Connector-SodaStream/dp/B07QSVKXCG/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=jeffergarden+sodastream&qid=1574675376&sr=8-16

Looks well made but yet to be used in anger as I haven't gotten a CO2 cylinder :o

I also purchased 2 X sodastream compatible cylinders from https://www.co2-adapter.com/co2-cylinder as the one supplied with my new Sodastream has the new "non-return" valve which makes refilling more of a challenge. Apparently the old cylinders without the non-return type valve are much easier to re-fill and are compatible with all SodaStream machines so having a couple of those should keep things simple and allow an empty cylinder to be replaced with a full one by the kids giving me plenty of time to re-fill the empty one.

If when I eventually get round to sourcing a CO2 cylinder the adapter I got from Amazon doesn't work or is too fiddly I'll probably buy one of these https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter but it's important to get the EU version as the US and Australia have different standards.

Some good info on the different valve types you can have on the sodastream cylinders here https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter/cylinder and on the two types of CO2 cylinders that are generally available here https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter/gas-bottle.

I don't like the idea of having to turn the CO2 cylinder upside down each time I want to do a refill so my preference is to find a CO2 cylinder and re-fill source with a Dip tube Valve design.

Just checking for any updates on your refilling? Would love to find alternatives to the Argos refill.

Just checking for any updates on your refilling? Would love to find alternatives to the Argos refill.

Still haven't done it. Was out in Bray yesterday but forgot to call into A J Edge Fire Safety Limited. Will be going back out soon and will definitely do it then and report back.

On a positive note I'm delighted to confirm that my Sodastream investment hasn't proved to be a fad. I and the the rest of the family use it all the time and have found some good low or no sugar syrups we use for flavoured water:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GE2RS7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007EPVJYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XDPDV6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thawk69

So I read this thread, dived in and bought the adapter from co2-adapter.com/adapter, bought the 6.25kg c02 food grade cylinder from IEdepot and just did my first refill. It worked, I don’t know is it 100% full but I don’t mind. I had a problem that I have a soda cylinder with value #5. That type as I found out has some type slow release value so I had to very slowly open/increase the pressure during refill for it to work (after a bit of head scratching to start with why it wouldn’t fill).

For a first attempt, success! I’ll report back if anything going wrong on later fills.

Tom

• Advertisement

thawk69 wrote: »
    So I read this thread, dived in and bought the adapter from co2-adapter.com/adapter, bought the 6.25kg c02 food grade cylinder from IEdepot and just did my first refill. It worked, I don’t know is it 100% full but I don’t mind. I had a problem that I have a soda cylinder with value #5. That type as I found out has some type slow release value so I had to very slowly open/increase the pressure during refill for it to work (after a bit of head scratching to start with why it wouldn’t fill).

For a first attempt, success! I’ll report back if anything going wrong on later fills.

Tom

Sounds excellent. Well done. Any idea how many refills are in the cylinder? How much did it cost you?

Tom

Fair play to you, you haven't procrastinated like I have :o

Is this the cylinder you purchased from IEdepot - https://www.iedepot.ie/food-beer-grade-co2-6.35kg?

Cost wise it’s a bit of a outlay up front. The cylinder is 140€ (100 is a deposit you can get back). The adapter was €55. In terms of refills I guess I’ll find out but I estimate (maybe badly) between 12 and 15 refills. I go through one soda stream in a bit over two months so I should get about two years of refills.

Yes, that is the link to the IEdepot cylinder I got, I was passing by so just popped in a picked one up. He did say something about a rent fee on the cylinder after keeping it for two years but I didn’t pay attention it and don’t see it anywhere else.

It’s a bit of a hassle/fumble having to turn the cylinder upside down to fill, it’s heavy and a bit unstable, access with my hand was hard to turn the value. However, for the first time I just rested it upside down partly on a chair, and tilted it a bit to turn the value.

Tom

Cost wise it’s a bit of a outlay up front. The cylinder is 140€ (100 is a deposit you can get back). The adapter was €55. In terms of refills I guess I’ll find out but I estimate (maybe badly) between 12 and 15 refills. I go through one soda stream in a bit over two months so I should get about two years of refills.

Yes, that is the link to the IEdepot cylinder I got, I was passing by so just popped in a picked one up. He did say something about a rent fee on the cylinder after keeping it for two years but I didn’t pay attention it and don’t see it anywhere else.

It’s a bit of a hassle/fumble having to turn the cylinder upside down to fill, it’s heavy and a bit unstable, access with my hand was hard to turn the value. However, for the first time I just rested it upside down partly on a chair, and tilted it a bit to turn the value.

Tom

Shamed by your action but more so by my own inaction I popped down to A J Edge Fire Safety Limited in Bray and they made me up and filled a 5KG cylinder with food grade CO2 for a once off €45 with refills costing €10 as I need them going forward.

IMG202003041122351583321527.jpg

Now all I have to do it figure out how to use the Jeffergarden SodaStream CO2 Filler Refill Adapter Kit I ordered online for €15.

I can see a Sodastream refilling masterclass taking place over the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tom

why did you spend so much when there was a much cheaper option linked in first page?
    you refills are also 4 times that of the other one linked
    is there some big difference?

Shamed by your action but more so by my own inaction I popped down to A J Edge Fire Safety Limited in Bray and they made me up and filled a 5KG cylinder with food grade CO2 for a once off €45 with refills costing €10 as I need them going forward.

Now all I have to do it figure out how to use the Jeffergarden SodaStream CO2 Filler Refill Adapter Kit I ordered online for €15.

looking forward to seeing the obligatory video! :D

Then looking forward to your masterclass :).

Seve OB wrote: »
    why did you spend so much when there was a much cheaper option linked in first page?
    you refills are also 4 times that of the other one linked
    is there some big difference?

Cant remember why, I didn’t think too much about it. I just picked device and the refill was more convenience with location in Galway. It seems there are cheaper options from what you say.

Tom

Nice! If your refill works out well I’ll may switch (in two years).

Tom

Fair play to you! Had forgotten all about it until the most recent activity in this thread (having spent €17 last month getting an exchange bottle from Argos).....let us know how you get on and I'd be interersted to hear how easy or otherwise it was! Can't get over the cost of some of the adaptors relative to the cylinder, hope the €15 does the job!

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    looking forward to seeing the obligatory video! :D

Then looking forward to your masterclass :).

Mmmm, that'll be a week or two away at least. The convertor I purchased, which is no longer available on Amazon.co.uk, fits the Sodastream bottle fine but doesn't screw onto the cylinder valve at all as it has a male fitting the same size as the male fitting on the 5KG CO2 cylinder. It looks like I'd need an adapter to make it work but nothing jumps out when I google 21.8 adapters so I might just contact https://www.co2-adapter.com, send them some photo's of the valve on my cylinder and get them to recommend which of their adapters I should purchase.

112092Soda1583332249.png

So now we are all more or less housebound with no sport to watch I'm finally getting round to a few of the things on my to-do list.

I got this adapter and set it up for my non standpipe (dip tube), non RPV 5KG CO2 cylinder.

All went well (following this video to set it up but disappointingly it only filled each sodastream cylinder with about 60 grams of CO2 rather than the 500 grams a full fill would take.

I've been on to the adapter people (VERY responsive) and they are walking me through some trouble shooting so I'll update as I go.

FYI there's nothing wrong with the 5KG CO2 cylinder other than it doesn't come with a standpipe/dip tube which means it has to be filled upside down but that's not much of a big deal really.

Hopefully I'll figure out how to get a decent fill and all will be good.

So now we are all more or less housebound with no sport to watch I'm finally getting round to a few of the things on my to-do list.

I got this adapter and set it up for my non standpipe (dip tube), non RPV 5KG CO2 cylinder.

All went well (following this video to set it up but disappointingly it only filled each sodastream cylinder with about 60 grams of CO2 rather than the 500 grams a full fill would take.

I've been on to the adapter people (VERY responsive) and they are walking me through some trouble shooting so I'll update as I go.

FYI there's nothing wrong with the 5KG CO2 cylinder other than it doesn't come with a standpipe/dip tube which means it has to be filled upside down but that's not much of a big deal really.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

This is all starting to sound very affordable.....
    And the fact there's no reports of DIY refill related injuries is even more encouraging.

I'm trying to put an order through on soda stream website, having the issue mentioned above with trying delivery via parcel motel or address pal.
    I'm being told there are no delivery options for the address entered.
    Hire did you guys get around this?
    I saw calling them mentioned, but what happens then, well they ship direct to you, or did they then accept the parcel motel details over phone?

Edit: :( terms state:
    Please note we currently cannot deliver to any address off the mainland UK, including Northern Ireland. Deliveries to the highlands of Scotland can take up to 4 working days.
    Delivery time for orders within the UK is within 2 to 3 working days after the order is placed.

Edit 2: think I have address pal working cos it's a mainland UK address.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Currys. In the shop, before all the madness started.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    This is all starting to sound very affordable.....
    And the fact there's no reports of DIY refill related injuries is even more encouraging.

I'm trying to put an order through on soda stream website, having the issue mentioned above with trying delivery via parcel motel or address pal.
    I'm being told there are no delivery options for the address entered.
    I saw calling them mentioned, but what happens then, well they ship direct to you, or did they then accept the parcel motel details over phone?

Edit: :( terms state:
    Please note we currently cannot deliver to any address off the mainland UK, including Northern Ireland. Deliveries to the highlands of Scotland can take up to 4 working days.
    Delivery time for orders within the UK is within 2 to 3 working days after the order is placed.

Edit 2: think I have address pal working cos it's a mainland UK address.

I used DPD wizard actually.

Happy to report two things:-

1. These guys have a very robust product and are amazing to deal with. I've been emailing them 2-3 times and they've been responding with pointers and suggestions.

2. Their suggestions worked and I have now refilled the two empty sodastream bottles I purchased from them.

The trick, certainly using the 5kg non dip pipe non RPV cylinder I purchased from A J Edge Fire Safety Limited in Bray for €45, is to do three things:-

i) Make sure the 5kg cylinder is at room temperature, the higher the better. I had been keeping it in the shed so was only at 8c or so whereas it needs to be at 20c or more if possible. Overnight beside a radiator or in an airing cupboard will do the trick.

ii) The empty sodastream bottle(s) should be put into a freezer for at least 3 hours before you want to refill or preferably overnight. The bigger the difference in temperature between the 5KG cylinder and the sodastream bottle to be refilled the better.

iii) Fill the sodastream bottles holding the 5kg cylinder upside down. Only open the valve when you've already inverted the 5kg cylinder and keep it open for at least a minute. I found wiggling it about a bit also seemed to encourage more transfer. It's a bit of a contortion so useful to have someone who can either do the holding (it's not very heavy but requires two hands) or the valve turning.

Gloves are also required for handling the frozen Sodastream bottles.

Given this is a hack type solution I'm happy with how it works now I've finally figured it out. I might ask A J Edge Fire Safety Limited if they can either install a dip tube in the cylinder I have or so some sort of trade in for one with a dip tube next time as not having to fill upside down would make the process much easier and definitely a one person job.

Glad I've finally figured this out as the refill I got from Argos 10 days ago must only have been 25% full and is empty already.

If I get myself organised I should always have at least one full spare and two empty ready to be refilled. A full bottle typically lasts about 3 weeks in my house so I reckon I'll end up doing 7-8 refills a year which is way less hassle than traipsing down to Argos to see if they have any in stock and instead of paying Argos €288 for refills each year it'll cost me €10 - €20 a year depending on whether I have to get one or two refills of the 5KG cylinder.

€260 in my pocket and less hassle each year. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Sounds great.
    I ordered my one touch hydration pack last night.
    I might see how I get on with the Argos bottles for first little while, but we'll definitely be following your lead if it gets the use I expect in our house.
    The OH gets through a fair bit of fozzy water and the kids have just started to show interest in foxy drinks; if I could get them to like the sugar free soda stream option and see it as a treat it would be much better than fighting over coke etc, which we currently rarely have in the house.

I like the idea of making our own tonic water too...

I'll hold off for little while before investing in valve and bottles, and breast Def sounds like the way to go for gas.
    Thanks for all the tips!

Happy to report two things:-

1. These guys have a very robust product and are amazing to deal with. I've been emailing them 2-3 times and they've been responding with pointers and suggestions.

2. Their suggestions worked and I have now refilled the two empty sodastream bottles I purchased from them.

The trick, certainly using the 5kg non dip pipe non RPV cylinder I purchased from A J Edge Fire Safety Limited in Bray for €45, is to do three things:-

i) Make sure the 5kg cylinder is at room temperature, the higher the better. I had been keeping it in the shed so was only at 8c or so whereas it needs to be at 20c or more if possible. Overnight beside a radiator or in an airing cupboard will do the trick.

ii) The empty sodastream bottle(s) should be put into a freezer for at least 3 hours before you want to refill or preferably overnight. The bigger the difference in temperature between the 5KG cylinder and the sodastream bottle to be refilled the better.

iii) Fill the sodastream bottles holding the 5kg cylinder upside down. Only open the valve when you've already inverted the 5kg cylinder and keep it open for at least a minute. I found wiggling it about a bit also seemed to encourage more transfer. It's a bit of a contortion so useful to have someone who can either do the holding (it's not very heavy but requires two hands) or the valve turning.

Gloves are also required for handling the frozen Sodastream bottles.

Given this is a hack type solution I'm happy with how it works now I've finally figured it out. I might ask A J Edge Fire Safety Limited if they can either install a dip tube in the cylinder I have or so some sort of trade in for one with a dip tube next time as not having to fill upside down would make the process much easier and definitely a one person job.

Glad I've finally figured this out as the refill I got from Argos 10 days ago must only have been 25% full and is empty already.

If I get myself organised I should always have at least one full spare and two empty ready to be refilled. A full bottle typically lasts about 3 weeks in my house so I reckon I'll end up doing 7-8 refills a year which is way less hassle than traipsing down to Argos to see if they have any in stock and instead of paying Argos €288 for refills each year it'll cost me €10 - €20 a year depending on whether I have to get one or two refills of the 5KG cylinder.

€260 in my pocket and less hassle each year. Happy days.
    Congrats, nice work. If it wasn't for the virus, I'd be suggesting a 'gas party' to refill a bunch of cylinders and share the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Naloh

Has anyone tried refilling the Sodastream branded bottles? It seems that the valve on the Sodastream bottles are more tricky for self-filling (valve no. 5 co2-adapter.com/adapter/cylinder/).

I have 5kg CO2 from AJ Edge and I'm waiting on the CO2 Pro 2 plus adapter from co2-adapter.com and we have two of the Sodastream bottles from Argos. Wondering if anyone has managed to refill those.

Advertisement