Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a 10% referral link if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Here's the additional stuff i'm waiting on from Amazon:

ROCKSHEAT 14 Inch (35cm) Stainless Steel Rocking Pizza Cutter with Plastic Handle, Sharp Rocker Blade, for Home or Commercial Use:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZJ7H78S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_gTdREbN07JEFY

Etekcity Lasergrip 800 Non-contact Digital Laser IR Infrared Thermometer, Temperature Gun, -50°C~750°C ( -58°F~1382°F ), Yellow/Black:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I4TB2IM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_QTdREb0X2F1QH

FALCI 249964-90 Round Pizza Paddle, Stainless Steel, Diameter 19 cm:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DW3QIQW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_rUdREbDHXYHQ6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Do any of ye follow the "Ooni community" on Facebook?
    They have discussions like "so this is my dough. I went for a 0.2%hydration with 4mg of magnasumpin stat"! (Tongue in cheek but you get the idea)
    Are they being ridiculous? Someone actually posted how off putting it was for an amateur.

Plus all their pizzas are burnt to a crisp so they can keep their hydration percentages!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I dont, but i follow a bread making thread on another site and they do the same kind of thing and it makes it all so complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I have an uuni 1 (before even they were Ooni!) which I want to upgrade. It burns pellets and was frustratingly hard to start, and hard to keep going, but made great pizza!

I’m wondering though if I should go wood/gas or just gas altogether?? What are your experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Also, for those of you with the koda...if I go with that do I need the 30, 37 or 50 option for the gas? I havent a clue what that means!!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Also, for those of you with the koda...if I go with that do I need the 30, 37 or 50 option for the gas? I havent a clue what that means!!

It’s the regulator type, go for the 37mBar. If you bring a picture to the place you’re going to get gas, or compare it to what you have you’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/0Qno-XJwPKw

A cement/ vermiculite pizza oven built over an exercise ball , I'm tempted to have a go at it ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I have an uuni 1 (before even they were Ooni!) which I want to upgrade. It burns pellets and was frustratingly hard to start, and hard to keep going, but made great pizza!

I’m wondering though if I should go wood/gas or just gas altogether?? What are your experiences?

I was about to ask the same question. Someone upthread also said the wood burner can be hard to light and vulnerable to wind. That was pushing me towards gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Markcheese wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/0Qno-XJwPKw

A cement/ vermiculite pizza oven built over an exercise ball , I'm tempted to have a go at it ...

There was a post earlier in the thread that outlined the importance the ratio of the dome v the opening flue is to get the right temperature inside.

Good luck to you. Show us the result please. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

heldel00 wrote: »
    Do any of ye follow the "Ooni community" on Facebook?
    They have discussions like "so this is my dough. I went for a 0.2%hydration with 4mg of magnasumpin stat"! (Tongue in cheek but you get the idea)
    Are they being ridiculous? Someone actually posted how off putting it was for an amateur.

Plus all their pizzas are burnt to a crisp so they can keep their hydration percentages!!!

I dont follow the Ooni one but pop in here the odd time https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
    And yeah some of them get very technical with dough recopies which can be off putting but in fairness baking is a bit of a science and the posters over there are in pursuit of perfection.

How come its hard to start, what pellets are you using? Im on the Ooni 2 on Staffords pellets and those little straw firestarters and never have a problem getting it going. Had always intended to upgrade to gas with it but am not going to bother, between the gas attachment and the gas bottle it would cost about 130 whereas a bag of pellets is 9.99 for 15kg which lasts for a about hundred pizzas at a guess, perhaps 10 or 15c worth of fuel to bash one out. If I was buying on Ooni today I think Id stick with pellets, the hardwood fueled ones could be harderor take longer to light but for me with pellets its ready to go in about 10 minutes.

If you are selling your Uuni 1 you should get a good price for it, I saw an Ooni 2 which was well used and blackened being bid up to £165 the other day on ebay, I couldnt believe it but people are going mad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you are selling your Uuni 1 you should get a good price for it, I saw an Ooni 2 which was well used and blackened being bid up to £165 the other day on ebay, I couldnt believe it but people are going mad for them.
    The CEO of Ooni saw a Twitter post from someone saying they were thinking of purchasing a new oven to replace their old one (a very early model). The CEO offered the poster a brand new oven in exchange for their old one as Ooni didn't have a working one. Nice offer - not sure if the link will work: -

https://twitter.com/SimsBSims/status/1253379315200339970

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    I have the Ooni Koda and the Ooni 3 - Both will make you a perfect 12" pizza in 90 seconds.

Beware though - it takes a bit of practice but the 'accidental calzones' are part of the fun.

Do you have a preference as to which you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 villamar

Got my Koda today. Was concerned about gas cylinder & additional cost for propane cylinder. I have always used butane (yellow cylinder). No problem to bring my yellow gas and change for propane. Had amazing first pizza on Koda

Just on the propane gas.
    I was at my local Applegreen earlier today and noticed someone taking a FloGas (brand) 10.89kg Patio Gas bottle to their car.

So, be worthwhile to check your local petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

https://imgur.com/a/ETG80sZ

No frame yet but fired it up anyway yesterday..
    Great job but definitely a learning curve ..
    Whole chicken today , no pizza yet tho

So up and running yesterday with my Koda. I am absolutley delighted with it. Way better than i expected. Trial run with garlic pizza bread. Delicious. Made three pizzas last night and two for lunch today. Unreal. Then we had steak for dinner from it. Very tasty. A great piece of kit.
    I got butane gas as couldnt get propane. Could someone tell me what is the difference with them for cooking with the Ooni?
    On another note , ordered flour and pizza toppings , etc from Ripasso in Bray. Little mix up in delivery on their part. All apologetic and refunded me. More than generous i thought. Delivery arrived Saturday instead on Friday.
    Would highly recommend them. Produce of great quality.

maximo31 wrote: »
    So up and running yesterday with my Koda. I am absolutley delighted with it. Way better than i expected. Trial run with garlic pizza bread. Delicious. Made three pizzas last night and two for lunch today. Unreal. Then we had steak for dinner from it. Very tasty. A great piece of kit.
    I got butane gas as couldnt get propane. Could someone tell me what is the difference with them for cooking with the Ooni?
    On another note , ordered flour and pizza toppings , etc from Ripasso in Bray. Little mix up in delivery on their part. All apologetic and refunded me. More than generous i thought. Delivery arrived Saturday instead on Friday.

Fair play, after round four today I can say the same, money well spent and lots of fun.

I have to say though, after two years I cannot fathom how people get the recommended dough size out of the ball weight... I used 194g balls today for about a ten inch... really don’t know how you’re expected to get 12 inch from 165g! But anyways personal preference etc..

There is very little difference between propane and butane realistically, what matters is the regulator. Once you’ve got it working you’re golden. Propane turns to a gas at a much colder temp than butane, but unless you’re cooking at -5 Celsius I wouldn’t worry. The koda can do both

That’s brill, I must give them a look.

I’m like a child with a new toy, it’s gotten to the point that I’m making dough for the craic just to practice and use the koda, but I guess I’ll get tired of being at it constantly soon...

maximo31 wrote: »

I’m also waiting for the peel to come back in stock and then I’m gonna get the grizzler pan and the peel and likely the scales with a discount code. How did you manage the steak in it?

• Advertisement

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Fair play, after round four today I can say the same, money well spent and lots of fun.

I have to say though, after two years I cannot fathom how people get the recommended dough size out of the ball weight... I used 194g balls today for about a ten inch... really don’t know how you’re expected to get 12 inch from 165g! But anyways personal preference etc..

There is very little difference between propane and butane realistically, what matters is the regulator. Once you’ve got it working you’re golden. Propane turns to a gas at a much colder temp than butane, but unless you’re cooking at -5 Celsius I wouldn’t worry. The koda can do both

That’s brill, I must give them a look.

I’m like a child with a new toy, it’s gotten to the point that I’m making dough for the craic just to practice and use the koda, but I guess I’ll get tired of being at it constantly soon...

To be honest i have a lot of learning to do regards the dough and shaping the pizzas. Haven't mastered the full circle pizza yet. Mine are of various odd shapes!!:o
    Have saved a good few dough recipes including 1 with beer so will try them all in time.
    I followed the recipe in the Ooni booklet. Says you get 5 pizzas but i reckon i'll just make 4 from the next batch. Seemed a little small.
    Sound for the info on the gas. Lucky to get a regulator yesterday evening. Bit of an under the counter purchase!!:)
    Got 2 x 10KG bags of 00 flour from them so will be sorted for a good while.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I’m also waiting for the peel to come back in stock and then I’m gonna get the grizzler pan and the peel and likely the scales with a discount code. How did you manage the steak in it?

The steak came out lovely. Have a griddle pan so used that. Just did a bit of googling / youtubing on how to do it. Some sizzle off the pan!!

blueskys wrote: »
    This is what i'm planning to do- just waiting for the shops to open again to get a new regulator. Don't think it should be a problem as it says on the underside it will accept butane or propane.

In the manual, it also says propane or butane. It’s very confusing, on the Ooni website they insist it’s propane only. I have spare butane cylinders so that would be the handiest. That said, the new Fyra looks great.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My Koda was delivered this morning, really looking forward to getting going with it. Have to sort out a bottle of gas first. I don't know how easy it is to get propane locally, but I saw someone mentioning patio gas further up the thread. What's the difference between patio gas and propane? Do you need a different regulator?

I might just order off the Flogas website for convenience as they do next day delivery. Has anyone used the Gaslight bottles? Is there any difference to them compared to the steel bottles, other than weight?

Patio Gas is propane. I think the only difference is the connector & regulator type.

Heres a vid showing the connector type, regulator & how it fits.
    https://youtu.be/eHaXo2bbWh0

As I posted above, check your local petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Zaph wrote:
    My Koda was delivered this morning, really looking forward to getting going with it. Have to sort out a bottle of gas first. I don't know how easy it is to get propane locally, but I saw someone mentioning patio gas further up the thread. What's the difference between patio gas and propane? Do you need a different regulator?

What date did you order? Trying to figure out when to expect mine.

Peckham wrote: »
    Trying to figure out when to expect mine.
    All current orders (after the 26th) are expected mid July.
    :eek: :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Peckham wrote: »
    What date did you order? Trying to figure out when to expect mine.

Ordered on 15th April. Got an e-mail last Thursday (30th) saying it had been dispatched. Original order said delivery takes 7 days from dispatch, so it was a pleasant surprise seeing it today.

Meant to say that I ordered one of the ones that they had a discount on due to scuff marks on the paintwork from the packaging. For anyone else waiting on one I can say it was well worth going for the €30 discount, the marks are barely noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Zaph wrote:
    Ordered on 15th April. Got an e-mail last Thursday (30th) saying it had been dispatched. Original order said delivery takes 7 days from dispatch, so it was a pleasant surprise seeing it today.

Excellent. I ordered on the 16th, so hopefully might have it by next weekend.
    Zaph wrote:
    Meant to say that I ordered one of the ones that they had a discount on due to scuff marks on the paintwork from the packaging. For anyone else waiting on one I can say it was well worth going for the €30 discount, the marks are barely noticeable.

Good to hear. I ordered the same.

Advertisement