Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you go out in public with your face covered in cuts?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Bit of a random question but I couldn't think where else to post (i guess it's about 'appearance' and need to make a decision by the morning.

So my cat attacked my face this afternoon while I was dozing on the couch. Hurt like a *£^$()! I now have a bunch of small scratches on the side of my cheek, and some pretty bad cuts on my nose, including one which was inside my nostril and so has left a visible bruise around my nostril. I think I look AWFUL! Like I've been bottled or something.

I cleaned the cuts with antiseptic and I'm sure they'll heal fine, but I'm being really vain about how bad I look! I imagine going into work tomorrow and everyone looking at me wondering what happened to me, imagining me in a fight or something. But I reckon putting makeup over the cuts now, while they're still 'fresh', would be a bad idea as might irritate / infect them.

I'm thinking of asking my boss if i can work from home tomorrow (mine's an office job which i can do pretty much anywhere).

I guess I'd appreciate your opinions on whether you think I'm being ridiculous and should just suck it up and go to work, or if you too would be embarrassed to go out in public looking like this. Or any other suggestions.

Thanks! :) A very scratched up CamillaRhodes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You, as a person, are more then just your appearance. Get to work.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Don't worry about it!!

These things happen; especially if you own a cat. I'd keep it clear of make-up as much as you can; it;ll porbably heal quickly enough.

You probably think it looks much worse than it is; but honestly people will think more of you for coming in and working rather than not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

I know that, of course, Oldgoat. But we (people) generally do care about the impression they give to the outside world with their appearance - the very existence of this forum proves that! I don't like the thought of people in work thinking I've been in a fight or something; when i go to work I usually try to present a professional image.

And I can still do my job from home, it won't make much difference for one day.

But maybe I am being ridiculous.

Arrgh, if you could just see what a state I am! :(:(:(

Of course you're worried about how it looks to other people; but it's good in a way that it's mostly scratches; it looks less like you've been in a fight or something. My cat did something similar to me before; maybe not as bad but it was still fairly noticeable. It became more of a joke with people moreso than anything else; they all thought it was hilarious that a cat had done such a thing:p

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Dont worry bout it, when im broke I have to make do shavin with tesco disposable razors and ive that much blood p*ssin out of me headin out the door I have to use half a roll of jacks paper to stop it :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice and support guys :) I guess i need to get over it a bit.

ICE HOUSE, if the sh*tty razors can do as much damage to you as my little f****r of a cat inflicted on me (!) I really reckon you should grow a beard ;)

Last question (on the appearance side of things as well as healing) - I've had a bandaid over my nose for the afternoon cos the cuts were bleeding so much, but they've now stopped. But would I be better to keep a bandaid on it tomorrow or leave the cuts open to the air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Don't worry about it.

I ran into a door awhile ago and split my face open beside my eye. Had a black eye. I got the usual 'What's his name' crap from people. Don't worry about it.

Bio oil will help reduce any scaring.

It's completely normal to get a bit concerned when something like this happens:)

Bandage or no is up to you really. It depends where you work I guess. It's best to leave it open to the air but that isn't always possible if you work somewhere either not so clean or very clean (like a clean room or O.R. or something:))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If it were me I'd leave the scratches open to the air.
    If you decide to wear a plaster then be sure to wear a good sunblock else you may end up with a stripe.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I woke up one morning when working in Brussels with a row of mosquito bites on my face that swelled up to the size of peas. I still went into work though.

Sure, you feel a bit self-concious, but it wasn't anything of my own doing. I just arranged my hair to cover it when out on the street and wore sunglasses. I didn't care in work, as I was working with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw CR why did your cat attack your face? My hands and arms are constantly in bits from mine, but luckily where i work its par for the course so nobody bats an eyelash.

Go to work! Laugh it off and dont make a big deal of it. People are only curious for 2 mins then the novelty wears off. You know yourself those scratches will take more than a day to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My face is bruised at the moment, and my nose is twice the size it should be. Plus, I can't really talk properly. I'd a septoplasty on Wednesday and am mid way through recovery. Hasn't stopped me going out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yep. My dog attacked me a few years ago, bit my face and I had to get stitches. Still went on nights out, see attached. 305373377a1691207942b223477139l.jpg

Advertisement