Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Shoes

• 18-06-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I've finally built up the courage to try on shoes in public (I'm a crossdresser...). I know Penneys is really cheap etc. but it is hard to get not too expensive heels elsewhere. I don't have a pair of white heels yet (probably because they're really trashy!) so might try on a pair. Penneys O'Connell St. in 45 mins - if it gets too busy I'll chicken out but I'm sick of bringing home shoes that don't fit 100% - they might all say size 7 but some of them are liars. Dunnes shoes are a lot more honest...
    I might post pics later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

The most comfortable shoes I own are a pair of Gladiator type heels from Pennys.

They cost me 23euro and I have never had any problems with rubbing and burning soles like I have done with other famous (and much more expensive :p) brands.

Love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

To be honest with you I don't find Pennies shoes great at all. I'm a size 4 and have yet to find a pair that aren't either too big or too small. Dunnes on the other hand are WAY better plus the quality is better. Good luck on your shoe hunt OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭heathersissy79

Thanks for that Smoggy. I love the gladiator style high heels, they are really comfy alright.
    I went for the trashy white open toe pumps in the end. My first time trying on shoes properly in public. I tried on a pair of black ones too and also tried on heels in Miss Selfridge Jervis and in No Name on Henry St.
    I got no bad reactions, quite the opposite, 3 teenage girls in Penneys found it most amusing (I have the feeling one took a pic with her phone!) and when I was trying them on in Ms. Selfridge I soon had a group of 4 women drawing near and watching me out of the corner of their eyes!
    Also bought 3 dresses on sale in Dunnes, a pink ruffle skirt, and some makeup.
    I might post pics later if anyone wants to see...

Thanks Killer, you're right alright but I find the Penneys ones a little sexier and I've yet to go out in public wearing heels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Heatons aren't bad either IMO. I've bought a couple of pairs of heels there. They have nice lace up peep toes at the moment (not the best description, but trust me they're nice) in black, pink and purple. I think they were only about €12. Sometimes you can be lucky with clothes there as well.
    Post some pics of your purchases :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

dunnes shoes are a disaster for me.. just dont fit me.. but then I am a size 8 :P

Thanks for the info on Heatons, must give them a look.
    I've attached some pics of my purchases. The shoes are size 7, I tried on a size 8 but it was a little loose. As I said, they're fairly trashy!
    If you want to see pics of me in them I can do that on Sunday if anyone wants to see them being worn. Obviously I'd have to get my makeup in order before any public appearances!

Are the skinny jeans in the last pic actually leggings? The one's that were €5? They look nice. I wanted to get them the other day, but all that was left was large :(

Haha yeah they're leggings alright, when I saw them I thought they were jeans first. I got a small size in Penneys O'Connell St. They were on the wrong rack so not sure if there were other small ones left. I'll sell them to you for €50 :P
    They look cute with high heel ankle boots but a little tight for me to wear out in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Those white shoes aren't trashy at all! Quite nice.

• Advertisement

Thanks Donegalgirl :)
    I'm wearing them now with the ruffled skirt watching the football :D
    They're quite comfy too.

I'll sell them to you for €50 :P

That'd be a heck of a profit! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I have that skirt :p Also, I adore that red dress, you have good taste. Is that blue shirt from Dunnes? I remember they had identical ones in red a while back.

Also, congrats on getting the courage to try things on in public. Nothing wrong with wearing what you're happy in, regardless of what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

smoggy11 wrote: »
    The most comfortable shoes I own are a pair of Gladiator type heels from Pennys.

They cost me 23euro and I have never had any problems with rubbing and burning soles like I have done with other famous (and much more expensive :p) brands.

Love them!

I think I have these shoes too, did they have them in grey and beige? I got the beige, they are actually the most comfy heels I have worn in ages!

Thanks for your comments Lynda, I've never been told I'd "good taste" before :). I was very nervous trying the shoes on alright.
    Yeah got the blue top from Dunnes. Also got some lingerie in Penneys although the selection isn't great this time of year with all the swimwear in.
    I'll give Heatons a go today. I'll post some pics of me wearing some of the stuff tomorrow if you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Do you get a kick out of showing people or something? A lot of your posts seem to be asking people if they want to see.

I like dressing up and love putting on makeup (would love to get a professional makeover sometime) but I wouldn't say I get a "kick" out of it exactly, find it very stress relieving though.
    I would like a real woman's opinion if I look any way passable or not (I suspect the answer is probably not!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I'm wearing them now with the ruffled skirt watching the football

I love this post :D:D:D

Nice choices HS. Put up pics of you in them later. I love doing little fashion shows for myself after I buy stuff. Although I tried on stuff when I got home the other day in front of my niece and she really turned me off half of it. She is 11 for God's sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

Don't believe anyone who says the white shoes aren't trashy - they're fantastically so! :D (ok, so wear them with the wrong things and they could be *genuinely* trashy, but ironic-trashy is utterly brilliant ;))

And well bloody done on trying them on in public - it's a hard first step, but from everything I've heard it gets easier (My ex and close friend is TV, and another friend recently decided to start living full-time as a girl and even changed her name :)). You might get amused looks, but I haven't heard of many hostile looks :)

Oh, and regarding make-up - I've spoken to the Clinique girls in BT before on behalf of my TG friend mentioned above and they are very happy to give makeovers and tips to people shall we say, new to the whole arena ;) Obviously you've have to be ok with sitting there in public getting it done, but they say if it's on a Monday or Tuesday mid-morning it's pretty quiet.

Thanks for your support. I've only been out in public once (very late at night) so wouldn't have the guts to get a makeover in a dept. store. Also I think men have potentially a worse reaction than girls so if I do get a makeover would want it done on a 1 to 1 basis or else in a small salon with only women there. I am not "out" as such so would be afraid of being seen by someone I know too! Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll manage to arrange a makeover.

Yeah I thought white was pretty trashy too :P
    I'll post pics tomorrow as am busy today and it takes me ages to do my makeup (badly).

Bought a nice pair of grey patent heels in Heatons this morning. They're very comfy but look greay.

• Advertisement

Bought a nice pair of grey patent heels in Heatons this morning. They're very comfy but look greay.

Told you Heatons was good :)

You were right Rhubarb, thanks. I'll get to wear them properly tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I have found that Pennys and Dunnes heels are great! I have a few pairs and I have gotten great wear out of them. Pennys pumps are also nice to wear although I wouldn't recommend them if walking long distances. :D

Ok here are some pics of me wearing my purchases. Don't be too harsh with your comments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

The red outfit is lovely ... The shoes are gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

They are some very lovely outfits and look really well on you, seriously. Lovely legs and a nice, slim figure - b*tch! :P

I don't think you need much advice with clothes, other than the occasional bits we all need from time to time :) You're streets ahead of any other early-on TV I've known, and even some long-time.

The only thing I'll suggest is this - and I know this could be controversial, and I also know why New Girls probably do it - maybe don't do that thing with your legs so much. It's very kind of...cliched? Is that the word I'm looking for? Anyway, very few bio-girls do that (at least very few that I know, although there are of course plenty of very feminine, prim princesses out there) except as a kind of tongue-in-cheek pose, camping it up. I think (though it is just my opinion) that ironically being really girly makes a TV stand out more.

But back to the clothes - I really love the red suit (very elegant) and the purple dress with the grey patent heels. I couldn't carry off that look in a fit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I have loads of shoe from newlook and they're really well made/comfortable.
    My favorite are simple black patent platforms that were only 15 euro.
    Their prices are fairly reasonable and I think they have a good size range, plus wide fitting shoes.
    Good luck & fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Better legs than I have! That's all I'll say! :)

Wow, thanks for your comments. I like the red outfit too, I feel a bit like an air hostess :)
    I'll give New Look a go at some time. Always on the look out for affordable cute shoes.
    Thanks for your comments Microgirl, you could be right about the posing - maybe I nwas being ironic :p. Those are the grey heels from Heatons, the dress feels nice and fitted, lovely to walk in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Love the red lippie! It's such a fabulous colour, also, do you mind me asking where you got the tartan tights?

Advertisement