Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maxi dress help

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Heya! So I know there are threads for people looking for maxi dresses, but not for the specific thing I'm asking for :p

Anyway, I know maxi dresses are pretty much made for tall, thin people but are there ANY out there that'd suit me? I'm about 5'1 and a size 16, so I'm chubby and short, but I have a ridiculously large chest (H cup). So, weird proportions. Is there any maxi dress within a decent price range that'd suit my figure? I really want one because they look so pretty and feminine and I'm sick of having to wear short skirts and high heels to make my legs look ok!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Heya! So I know there are threads for people looking for maxi dresses, but not for the specific thing I'm asking for :p

Anyway, I know maxi dresses are pretty much made for tall, thin people but are there ANY out there that'd suit me? I'm about 5'1 and a size 16, so I'm chubby and short, but I have a ridiculously large chest (H cup). So, weird proportions. Is there any maxi dress within a decent price range that'd suit my figure? I really want one because they look so pretty and feminine and I'm sick of having to wear short skirts and high heels to make my legs look ok!

Tough one, isn't it? I am in a similar pickle, even with a D-cup.
    I picked up a lovely blue and lime green maxi in M&S, brought it home, only to find the bust part was far too small :mad:
    Most manufacturers don't cater for large busts. :( Even if you try the next size up, it usually is no help, because the rest of the dress is then far too baggy, shapeless or too long, even if the bust is ok.
    I am considering finding a dressmaker or at least get a dress that can be easily altered by a skilled alterations person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 blondiex

LyndaMcL wrote: »

hey..just seen on ireland am this morning lovey maxi dresses for curvy girls..all from simply be..they were gorgeous...check them out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Id be 5ft and 16/18 depending on the dress.

I got 1 maxi dress in the petite section of asos, but it doesnt feel like it has enough room on the boobs so ive never worn it :/

i got 1 in awear last week, in their upstairs section in grafton street (think they call it the attic or something, they have them in henry street & dundrum too i think), it was size large and the perfect length with plenty of boob room. cant find it online but the make was mela loves london.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I'm a big believer in dressing for your shape and I think that anyone below 5" 6 or thereabouts looks stumpy in maxi dresses. I'm 5" 5 and have never gotten one because I just look like I'm drowning in them. They're gorgeous on tall willowy girls with amazing figures but I've seen a shocking amount of girls wearing them and they do NOTHING for them, they just look like they're swimming in fabric and are shorter than they are.

I would imagine that at 5" 1 any maxi dress would swamp you, but that's just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I don't get this maxi dresses are made for tall people thing!
    I wore won out last week thinking I looked the bee's knee's and got called a beanpole twice! I think they elongate our height more than anything. Also all the maxi dresses sold here are far too short on tall people. The topshop and zara ones came up to my mid calf. I finally found one that just scraped my feet in Bershka.

I've seen lots of people with your size and measurments wearing maxi dresses and they look stunning in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

i always thought maxi dresses were made for tall, thin people and I just assumed that being 5'3 and a size 10 that a maxi dress woudl make me look really hippy. i got one in the summer - cant find it on line, but it doesnt have too much fabric , fairly just straight up and down and it suits me sooo much. its the perfect length too, isnt too long and not swimming on me. It actually makes me look thin and lean. LOVE IT and very comfy too :D

if you wanna wear a maxi dress, whatever height or size ya are, go for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Passed a girl on the street last weekend who was def only around 5foot or thereabouts wearing a gorgeous maxi dress and she looked amazing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

pookie82 wrote: »
    They're gorgeous on tall willowy girls with amazing figures but I've seen a shocking amount of girls wearing them and they do NOTHING for them, they just look like they're swimming in fabric and are shorter than they are.

Wowsers I must be tall and willowy so :D:D

Yes dress for your shape but I am far from willowy and tall, well I am 5ft 6 but defo not willowy! I am a size 12 / 14 on the bottom!!!! I tried on one in Penny's and I looked 18 months pregnant but I got one in TK Maxx and its very slimming and not clingy, its stunning!!! There was a girl at a 21st on Saturday night and she is only 5ft and defo not willowy and looked well in a maxi dress!!!

Try TK Maxx and get one that has one layer of material, as its less puffy, if you get me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

It's all about body shape rather than just height and weight!

I'm 5'3 and a size 16 but I'm an apple (round all over!) the Maxi doesn't really suit me

Someone else 5'3 and a size 16 whos a pear shape could look fab in a maxi!

It just depends .... go try on a few and see what suits you best. Bring a pair of heels too, some Maxis look best with heels and others look great with flats

A dress with a print would be good

I think something like this would be nice .... http://www.oasis-stores.com/Embellished-Maxi-Dress/Maxi-Dress/oasis/fcp-product/4470065900 ... The band high up will define your waist making your legs seem longer and the top looks good for a fuller chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ha, I hear you! I'm a size 8-10 but an F cup, AND have an annoyingly narrow back (30") so even if i find a maxi dress to cover my boobs, it's massive and sagging at the back..HOWEVER to my shock, I found a lovely dress in Heatons of Castlebar not long along, for only 25 quid. And I'm only little as well. Here's a pic but it doesn't do it justice and its all crumpled from being in a bag :o

34362_10150199205285581_502670580_13210401_5796008_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

http://styletips101.com/fashion/maxi-dress-for-the-short-girl.html
    How to Pull off a Maxi Dress if You’re on the Short Side

* While Rachel Bilson and Keira Knightly look great in their flowing gypsy skirts, this shape can make a short silhouette even shorter and wider. Choose a style that is well cut and avoid tent-like diaphonous skirts, to prevent being swamped.
    In Zoe Manzi’s Daily Mail article, “Maxi dresses – the must-haves this summer “, she advises shorter women to “avoid being drowned by your maxi by making sure your dress is well cut and in proportion with your petite frame. Keep things fitted up top and avoid an overly voluminous skirt.”
    “To stop a full, long skirt from swamping you, teem it with chunky heels and a fitted waistcoat.” is the fashion advice from In Style magazine, UK Edition April 2007.
    Choose a close fitting empire line maxi dress which flatters most figures.
    Choose a sleek, stylish A-line or bias cut, as this style flatters shorter silhouettes
    For extra height, dresses can be accessorized with patent platforms, wedges or feminine toe-covered sling backs. Set-off these dresses with long, chunky jewelery and this season’s over sized shades and bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Wow, thanks everyone :) I'm gonna check out awear and tk maxx when I'm in town tomorrow :D No heatons in town unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Sorry if I'm dragging this off topic but where is the hem of the maxi dress supposed to sit?

I tried a few last week and they all sat just above my ankle and I felt this was a bit short...I'm 5'6 so it's not like I'm that tall but I panicked and put them all back because I wasn't sure. Don't wanna look like a noob in my maxi dress :o

Alicat wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm dragging this off topic but where is the hem of the maxi dress supposed to sit?

I tried a few last week and they all sat just above my ankle and I felt this was a bit short...I'm 5'6 so it's not like I'm that tall but I panicked and put them all back because I wasn't sure. Don't wanna look like a noob in my maxi dress :o

Mine is just above my ankle and looks lovely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Pembily wrote: »
    Mine is just above my ankle and looks lovely!!!

Can I ask what kinda shoes you wore with it? :)

Alicat wrote: »
    Can I ask what kinda shoes you wore with it? :)

Wore kinda a strappy sandle, going to find some gladiator ones in Penny's or Dunnes this week :D

DSC01163-1.JPG

Easier to show than describe!

Advertisement