Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dacia Duster the new Lada?

Options
  • 04-12-2018 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Is it the modern equivalent to those Russian Ladas of the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tell us what you think OP.

Dacia ruster or Dacia dustbin

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I do like their adverts.

I heard the latest iteration is quite well specced out.

Could be the next Skoda. 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If you want in out of the rain, and don't care about residuals, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Dacia1300

I have started to notice them a lot more & they seem to be almost always driven by people who can’t drive, 35 in a 50 zone, crawling along in both lanes because the driver can’t figure out what lane they should be in & so on.

Good advertising slogan - “Hate driving but have to? No problem, buy a Duster on PCP”. Although sometimes I can’t help but think that the driver is the one on PCP.

The irony, yes I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Wouldn't agree that there a modern lada..there a very reasonably priced basic RENAULT. Absolutely no frills but still decent engine ..gearbox and suspension..however very low specs and lots of plastic around dash..
    Similar to a small van like a Peugeot partner etc.. but reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

It's a very basic and cheap car, what's not to like?
    It's not to my taste each to their own.

Yes, Dacia were always based on Renault designs. My namesake was the old Renault 12 built under license in Romania under various guises until the mid-2000s.

The new breed of Dacias are pitched as competitively priced, user friendly cars, like I said, marketed to bad drivers.

The Lada on the other hand was based on an old Fiat 124, beefed up to withstand harsh environments. It was cheap enough and sold very well but was anything but user friendly to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Were there other nationalities producing Ladas too?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

GMSA wrote: »

Were they coming out of Yugoslavia?

• Advertisement

Egypt

MarkR wrote: »
    Were they coming out of Yugoslavia?

No, Zastava in Yugoslavia made the FWD Fiat 127 & 128. Nothing to do with Lada or the USSR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Egypt all produced it at some time.

The original 124 was built in Italy, Malaysia and Morocco and possibly other countries as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I test drove the Mk1.

While there was much that was fine about it there were many issues I couldn’t live with.
    Vague wholly steering, poor seats, desperate wind noise at doors, poorly positioned equipment.

Many of these issues have aparantly been sorted in the Mk2, I mostly like the new styling but the rear lights are a bit naff looking. I will test drive it though and consider it for second car at the house.

My friend is on his second and loves it. No problems at all and he does good mileage. They have a Logan as their second car, ugly but practical.

As for comments about rust they were with white ones produced in one batch which have been sorted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have a Duster and the missus a Stepway. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, nothing exciting, but reliable as anything. It's what I want from a daily driver. Have other cars for the fun part

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

No because the dacia duster isn't terrible.

Those old ladas were really dreadful and horrible and were still being made up until 3 or 4 years ago.

The modern lada would be the lada vesta which doesn't look terrible from the pics tbh. They are only sold in lhd markets and actually also use some Renault and nissan components(not as much as dacia though) as the company that makes lada is Renault owned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

_Brian wrote: »

As for comments about rust they were with white ones produced in one batch which have been sorted.
    Wouldn't be convinced it only affected one batch and just one colour tbh. All go through the same anti rust treatment process it's just on a white car it will be easier to see any rust forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I personally wouldn't want a Dacia but think they’re brilliant motoring for the money. Sat in a Duster at a ploughing last year and couldn’t get over the size of vehicle you’re getting for your money. A small family SUV for the price of a mid spec Polo or Fiesta.
    They’re fresh, modern and adequate kit on offer. Not cheap and nasty like an 80s eastern bloc car. They remind of when Skoda went under VW wing in the 90s except they seem to be staying with the budget theme rather than going upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Come to think of it in a previous incarnation the OP was an avid supporter of the humble Dacia. He even owned one without a tow bar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The early ones were horrible, but they are better now. Cheap above everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be convinced it only affected one batch and just one colour tbh. All go through the same anti rust treatment process it's just on a white car it will be easier to see any rust forming.

That rust problem was across all the 2013 - 2014 ones, was even a recall for them to be undersealed. Not really a problem from 2015- onwards

Anyone who got up close and inspected new Lada cars back in the day knows full well the Dacia are well above the build quality.

I remember looking at a new Niva, the Lada 4*4 with my dad, they were awfully crudely put together.

Where the Dacia have the advantage is they are using previous model Renault technology which has had the wrinkles ironed out. The 1.5 diesel while it won’t over excite the driver if it’s serviced it will do serious mileage. It’s been around for maybe 15 years in various vehicles and is really reliable. The sister I drove was nippy enough with that engine because it’s not a heavy body it’s carrying. Bit noisy on startup but warmed up quickly to be an ok drive.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The rust affected the Indian built versions (uptown mid 2015) you know by the older grill on it.

They are noisy on startup but once warmed up are fine. One of my mates who has the 1.7 Tucson was impressed by the pull of the engine. They are quite light which helps the torque from the 1.5. I have a version that has the rear parking sensors and tow bar. I added a full Dashcam front and rear myself. Pretty much all the tech I want. Seats are ok, not back breakers, but not falling asleep comfy either!

Anybody who I have ever given a lift from are amazed by the size of it. The boot is a thing of beauty for a large shop!

Sure, they are badged as Renault in other countries, but they seem to take the Nissan electronics thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Peatys wrote: »
    If you want in out of the rain, and don't care about residuals, go for it.

The residuals are excellent as they're very popular second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The residuals are excellent as they're very popular second hand.

Any car that’s lowly priced to start with and reasonably modern is going to have good residuals as they’re starting from a lower base with less distance to fall in value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Not a fan of the Dacia's but it is unfair to compare them to the Lada. I should know - my Dad had 2 of them (Lada's I mean!).

When Lada was briefly in vogue here - the late 1980's - you were buying a "new" car but it was based on a 25+ year old design and it looked and felt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Hope the cars are better than their website, it never works properly, connection is not secure, etc really rubbish.

Well, I know two families with Dacias.

One guy is on his second Duster, his wife drives a Logan and is on her second of those. The Duster is doing about 30k km a year and the Logan about 20k per year. They have never had a breakdown ever and nothing has needed repair under warranty, just straight services. Both return decent mpg, I don’t like the Logan but it’s really practical.

Second family have a ‘13 that they bought on PCP and then bought outright. Has 85k km on it, has had a wheelbearing and some sensor replaced in that time. They plan to buy a 2019 Duster to replace it.

Neither have seen rust problems mentioned earlier.

I’m running my current Tiguan out as it’s trade is so low at this stage but definitely the Duster is on my list when I change.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

OH.. I forgot to mention earlier that IF there are any fans of ladas out there ..ye will be delighted to know that you can still buy a brand new lada jeep for 12k in Germany..I stopped off for a look last year when I seen the logo and sure enough a garage with their compound full of nice new LADAS.

• Advertisement

Turbohymac wrote: »
    OH.. I forgot to mention earlier that IF there are any fans of ladas out there ..ye will be delighted to know that you can still buy a brand new lada jeep for 12k in Germany..I stopped off for a look last year when I seen the logo and sure enough a garage with their compound full of nice new LADAS.

Other than the reliability issues which were plenty, the jeep was a decent enough little thing.

Not unlike a jimny

Advertisement