Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty marathon 08/12/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Ran the half last year and really enjoyed it, so back to do it again.
    This is my 12th half for the year so looking forward to the finish so I can tick off my main running goal for 2018 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Dante

This will be my first ever half-marathon, not sure what to expect but I'm looking forward to it. I know very little about the course other than there will be plenty of unforgiving hills along the way.

Anyone have an tips or advice for it? I've been trying to cram the miles in over the past 12 weeks with a random online training plan having started from pretty much nothing.

I'm also curious as to how bad the hills are? Are they consistent throughout or do they ease off at some stage?

EDIT: Just checked out the route in the OP's post - looks like there will be lots of fun between 6-10k but apart from that it seems OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This will be my first ever half-marathon, not sure what to expect but I'm looking forward to it. I know very little about the course other than there will be plenty of unforgiving hills along the way.

Anyone have an tips or advice for it? I've been trying to cram the miles in over the past 12 weeks with a random online training plan having started from pretty much nothing.

I'm also curious as to how bad the hills are? Are they consistent throughout or do they ease off at some stage?

EDIT: Just checked out the route in the OP's post - looks like there will be lots of fun between 6-10k but apart from that it seems OK.

Throw a few jelly babies in your your pocket wrapped in kitchen roll for the last 6-8km

I did my first one in August. Trained at 5.15/km and ran it at 5.19/km

2nd one last week I did at 5.10/km

For me that was comfortable pace. Don't over do it in the first 5-8km. A lot of people in the Rock and roll tore off early on and suffered in the last 7km.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Throw a few jelly babies in your your pocket wrapped in kitchen roll for the last 6-8km

I did my first one in August. Trained at 5.15/km and ran it at 5.19/km

2nd one last week I did at 5.10/km

For me that was comfortable pace. Don't over do it in the first 5-8km. A lot of people in the Rock and roll tore off early on and suffered in the last 7km.

Don't worry, I will have Haribo at the ready. I usually take one every 4 or 5km for that sweet sweet sugar rush.

I'm aiming for a more conservative pace of 5.50/km although the furthest I've done is only 18k so hoping I can run on autopilot at that pace for the last few km.

I tend to stick to my pace quite rigidly by in large so hopefully shouldn't burn out early.

Just checked out the route in the OP's post - looks like there will be lots of fun between 6-10k but apart from that it seems OK.
    It is a great course and would be one of the flattest around if it were not for the hill bang in the middle of it. It is a steady climb for about 3km and at the top is a water station to look forward to. Nothing to worry about, just maintain your cadence, shorten your stride and you will be over it before you know it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

smurfsturf wrote: »
    .......would be one of the flattest around if it were not for the hill bang in the middle of it...... :)

Love this kinda stuff.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Running the half for this as well, my first ever half marathon and I'm quite nervous about it :pac: Very scared about the hills, from their website it seems they last for about two and a half miles from the 4 mile to 6.5 mile mark, and after that it's relatively flat and even downhill. Aiming for sub 1 hour 40 minutes, and am able to maintain that pace in my training, just really unsure as to how much those hills will slow me down and as to whether I'll be able to recover the time. Maybe someone who's ran the course before can tell me how much it slowed them down? Anyway, I guess I'll find out either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Running the half for this as well, my first ever half marathon and I'm quite nervous about it :pac: Very scared about the hills, from their website it seems they last for about two and a half miles from the 4 mile to 6.5 mile mark, and after that it's relatively flat and even downhill. Aiming for sub 1 hour 40 minutes, and am able to maintain that pace in my training, just really unsure as to how much those hills will slow me down and as to whether I'll be able to recover the time. Maybe someone who's ran the course before can tell me how much it slowed them down? Anyway, I guess I'll find out either way!

just go out and run,enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

my first half marathon too! :)

fairly nervous as my training hasn't been ideal - I started off on a Hal Higdon plan but the wheels have come off the past month as life really got in the way (hate to use that as an excuse but true in this case I think).

hopefully it will all go well!

how many gels would suffice for a half? I'm thinking two? One at maybe 9k and one at 16?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

seanin4711 wrote: »
    just go out and run,enjoy the day!

Ah I know, I will! But I like setting myself little targets while I'm doing it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

My issue with this event is it's WAY too expensive. 50 quid for a HM is very high. The Waterford HM was just 28 euro and is excellent. And 30 for a 10k is high also.

What's the story with the race packs? When I registered there wasn't any option to have them posted, so I'm guessing it must be collected from the hotel at the times stated on the website. I only registered inside the last fortnight so perhaps it was too late to have it posted to me?

Also with regards to the day, do I just show up, attach the bib and run? I've never run in an official event before and I'll be doing it alone so I'm scared there'll be something really obvious I'm missing :pac:

Also with regards to the day, do I just show up, attach the bib and run?
    That's about all there is to it.

If collecting the race pack on the day get to the hotel before 7:30. Race parking is in a field adjacent to the hotel so allow 5/10 minute walk.

Btw, in the dozens of races I've attended I've never been asked for my id when collecting the race pack, but I always have it handy just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Anyone know if there is registration on the morning? (I only ask as there used to be for this event).

@eliwallach this question was asked on the runclon facebook page yesterday. The organiser responded that the event is very close to selling out (less than 100 spaces remaining) and recommended registering at
    www.runclon.ie/register-2 to ensure entry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi,
    knee has not recovered quick enough from Dublin.
    Wont be travelling.
    Enjoy the day- I am upset not to be taking part.
    Great event!

Hope everyone had a great day! Pleased to say my first ever half marathon went really well, didn't know what to expect. The first mile was super slow, but I started near the back so obviously lots of shuffling to try and break free. I only really managed to do it at the 1.5 mile mark, and even after that the roads could at times get a bit cramped. Don't know if I read the map wrong before hand or what but the hills start 5 miles in, not 4, but when they came.. oh my god :pac: Apart from that incredibly steep one right early on they were actually pretty manageable after that. I did however forget about trying to reach my target, was just focusing on finishing the race. The scenery was pretty spectacular too, glad the weather was decent enough so we could appreciate it fully. Really began to struggle after 11 miles so was just willing myself to get to the end, however I knew one last fast mile would be able to get me inside the 1h 40m I originally targeted and somehow I managed to do it. Delighted!

Sorry for the essay :pac: TLDR; I had a great day and hope ye did too

My first half marathon 53 weeks exactly after my first ever 5k, I was emotional crossing the line.

also I was over the moon to go sub 2.20 considering how my training plan fell apart about six weeks ago.

I was absolutely in awe of this event, my favourite race I've ever done by a mile (pardon the pun ;) ) the scenery, the friendliness, the organisation absolutely second to none, accurately measured, wonderful support and camaraderie throughout - just brilliant.

The runner's buffet last night in the Park Hotel was spot on and for anyone who had the pleasure of witnessing the Catherina Mckiernan Q&A, well it was fabulous - what an inspiring and likeable lady. And then followed up by Frank Greally serenading the room with the Fields of Athenry!! Arguably the most surreal moment of my life :D The emotional speech from the organiser was a great sight to witness as well. What a buildup.

It's not a cheap event but the quality singlet, the physio and the use of the spa in the hotel afterwards make it well worth it for me. Two days of annual leave used up and a long round trip from Dublin but not one bit of regret.

Just a question guys, will photos from the event be posted anywhere? Cause I saw the CWM photo walls onsite but they were just selling tea and coffee from that stand. Thanks.

@yerwanthere123 and @Goose76 provided a great summary of the day, but was it only me that noticed the wall of wind and the howling gales :) Another great day nonetheless. Now torn whether to run this again next year, or the Waterford half?

• Advertisement

Was a great day overall, thankfully the weather held out for the half marathon. Annoyingly I pulled my calf on a run a few days before the race so was on the verge of pulling out.
    Eventually decided on the day to give it a lash and managed to hobble my way to a 1.55 finish. Suffering big time today but well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just a question guys, will photos from the event be posted anywhere? Cause I saw the CWM photo walls onsite but they were just selling tea and coffee from that stand. Thanks.

The Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon Facebook page will have them all up soon I’d say. There’s a small few there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Did the full marathon, my 6th this year. Incredibly tough run especially with the wind howling. Got really cold around 19 miles in, was cramping badly so eased right off. Don't think ive ever seen as much drinks, jellys and jaffa cakes on a route before so hats off to run clon crew for that. If I could make a suggestion though, when I got to the finish eventually I'd have loved some of the grub that was advertised but they'd packed up and were gone. Wasn't even the last runner either, plenty behind me. Surely they could hold on for the runners who were on the course hours. It's not all about the 10k, HM and fast marathon runners, the rest of us paid top whack. Just a thought

Did the full marathon, my 6th this year. Incredibly tough run especially with the wind howling. Got really cold around 19 miles in, was cramping badly so eased right off. Don't think ive ever seen as much drinks, jellys and jaffa cakes on a route before so hats off to run clon crew for that. If I could make a suggestion though, when I got to the finish eventually I'd have loved some of the grub that was advertised but they'd packed up and were gone. Wasn't even the last runner either, plenty behind me. Surely they could hold on for the runners who were on the course hours. It's not all about the 10k, HM and fast marathon runners, the rest of us paid top whack. Just a thought

Agreed, i got my fill after the half but I was sad to see my OH, who struggled through the full following an injury (and got the brunt of the bad weather) left with nothing. :(

it was the only downside actually, a bit annoying considering it's one of the unique features of the race.

Advertisement