Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invest in passive fund which tracks S&P500, at lowest cost

• 14-11-2018 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Looking to invest in a fund which tracks S&P500. Purely passive.

Has anyone prepared a list of such funds available in Ireland & their associated costs ? I understand that costs decrease the more you are prepared to put in, especially if talking to Irish banks & investment houses, but either way their charges of 0.7-1.0 are still ridiculously high for a passive investment.

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Trade SPY. Basically an etf so expense ratio is low. I don't live in Ireland anymore so not sure if you can do this...but if you can open a self directed account with one of the US firms like ameritraDE you will only pay about 8 usd to buy or sell

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi

I would open a Custody Degiro account and purchase either of the below:

https://etf.invesco.com/gb/private/en/product/invesco-sp-500-ucits-etf-acc/performance

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/253743/ishares-sp-500-b-ucits-etf-acc-fund

Both are traded on the LSE.

I think the Invesco fee is 0.05% and the iShares is 0.07%.

They are both accumulating so all dividends are reinvested.

I would go for the Invesco ETF as the fee is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

I would open a Custody Degiro account and purchase either of the below:

https://etf.invesco.com/gb/private/en/product/invesco-sp-500-ucits-etf-acc/performance

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/253743/ishares-sp-500-b-ucits-etf-acc-fund

Both are traded on the LSE.

I think the Invesco fee is 0.05% and the iShares is 0.07%

They are both accumulating so all dividends are reinvested.

I would go for the Invesco ETF as the fee is lower.

Thanks for prompt reply.

1. Why a custody account in DeGiro ?

2. Cursory review of the Invesco shows a mix of German & Dutch stock, along with no Apple Inc ? Any idea why ?

3. Looking though the backup for Invesco, they talk of swaps etc used to manage the fund which may attract charges. I'm looking for a plain vanilla fund which simply tracks S&P500, with no bells & whistles or extraneous exposures. Thoughts ?

To answer why a custody see below:

Custody
    A Custody profile is different from a Basic profile in that the securities are held separately from the lending pool of DEGIRO clients’ securities and are thus unable to be loaned to third parties. Debit Money, Debit Securities, and Derivative trading is not available with a Custody profile and you cannot change to an Active, Trader, or Day Trader account. A Custody Profile has different conditions and fees. However you will still benefit from our low transaction costs and save money through trading with DEGIRO.

Basically with a normal account Degiro can lend out your securities and make a return on them.

Looking at the Invesco Fund you are right it does seem to hold European equities per the website perhaps contact them and ask is it correct as it does seem odd. If not go for the iShares fund.

To answer why a custody see below:

Custody
    A Custody profile is different from a Basic profile in that the securities are held separately from the lending pool of DEGIRO clients’ securities and are thus unable to be loaned to third parties. Debit Money, Debit Securities, and Derivative trading is not available with a Custody profile and you cannot change to an Active, Trader, or Day Trader account. A Custody Profile has different conditions and fees. However you will still benefit from our low transaction costs and save money through trading with DEGIRO.

Basically with a normal account Degiro can lend out your securities and make a return on them.

Looking at the Invesco Fund you are right it does seem to hold European equities per the website perhaps contact them and as is it correct as it does seem odd. If not go for the iShares fund.

Thanks for reply.

Is there any reason why I cannot deal direct with Invesco Ireland, & not through DeGiro ? They are regulated by the Central Bank here. Rates would be the same ?

• Advertisement

banchang wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

Is there any reason why I cannot deal direct with Invesco Ireland, & not through DeGiro ? They are regulated by the Central Bank here. Rates would be the same ?

The Ishares and Invesco funds I mentioned are Exchange Traded Funds which are traded on the London Stock Exchange therefore you need to need to place your trade through a broker, I suggested DeGiro as they are the cheapest online broker I know off.

The Ishares and Invesco funds I mentioned are Exchange Traded Funds which are traded on the London Stock Exchange therefore you need to need to place your trade through a broker, I suggested DeGiro as they are the cheapest online broker I know off.

To clarify they are traded on more than the London Stock Exchange, the website should explain where they are listed.

Did you invest yet?

No still researching what's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I thought you cannot buy ETFs through Degiro?

• Advertisement

Naos wrote: »
    I thought you cannot buy ETFs through Degiro?

You can.

Advertisement