Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seville Marathon 17/2/19

• 20-09-2018 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Considering this as my annual Europe marathon trip for 2019. I've read the previous posts here and it seems largely positive.

Anyone else in or considering?

Anyone with strong feelings on it either positive or negative.

Flights & hotel are booked so I'm going to to Seville. Just need to decide on the marathon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Considering this as my annual Europe marathon trip for 2019. I've read the previous posts here and it seems largely positive.

Flights & hotel are booked so I'm going to to Seville. Just need to decide on the marathon!

Brilliant marathon

Enjoy it and best of luck.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Brilliant marathon

Enjoy it and best of luck.

TbL

Did you finish it.......

OOnegative wrote: »
    Did you finish it.......

Yes 3 times :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

I'm booked in for this also.

Flights are booked and Airbnb sorted.

My first Marathon is Valencia on Dec 2nd and I've booked this in the hope that all the training will stick with me that I'm doing now.

Also it'll hopefully keep me off the beer too much over the Christmas!!!!

BTW The flights are fantastic with Ryanair....In on Friday, Out on Monday all for less than €100 including priority and 2 bags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

goodtiming wrote: »
    I'm booked in for this also.

Flights are booked and Airbnb sorted.

My first Marathon is Valencia on Dec 2nd and I've booked this in the hope that all the training will stick with me that I'm doing now.

Also it'll hopefully keep me off the beer too much over the Christmas!!!!

I have done both of these marathons. Two good flat and fast course. Very good organisation and both cities embrace the marathon very well. Slightly prefer Valencia for the running, marathon organisation and Itzigers pub crawl, but Seville is better for the food and the sightseeing!

Enjoy

Cheers!

I'm really looking forward to it....

I have no idea if I'll be able to run it just 10 weeks after Valencia.

At least it's a cool place to visit if I'm not able!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Yep , I'm going to do this one also, looking like it will be a long day on the road for me as i've not run a Marathon since 2012. Sounds like a great event and location and for the price of flights/Hotel its a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

morceli wrote: »
    Yep , I'm going to do this one also, looking like it will be a long day on the road for me as i've not run a Marathon since 2012. Sounds like a great event and location and for the price of flights/Hotel its a great deal.

Great stuff.

Left it too late to come clean to my wife to tell her I was doing it and now the flights are 220+ (they were 88 when I booked)

Great stuff.

Left it too late to come clean to my wife to tell her I was doing it and now the flights are 220+ (they were 88 when I booked)
    Still haven't told mine yet :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Duanington

Booked in for this ( having forgotten to book in for Valencia :o)

Really starting to look forward to it now too

Duanington wrote: »
    Booked in for this ( having forgotten to book in for Valencia :o)

Really starting to look forward to it now too

Is the big fish running this as well, will you be carrying his bag :)

Best of luck with it, great event

TbL

Is the big fish running this as well, will you be carrying his bag :)

Best of luck with it, great event

TbL

AMK? Nah, he's running a later spring marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

:pac: :pac:

Sure Mahogany would look like a native in Seville :)

If your doing a marathon with him be careful, he’s been known to ask fellow runners into his bath!!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sure Mahogany would look like a native in Seville :)

If your doing a marathon with him be careful, he’s been known to ask fellow runners into his bath!!!

TbL

Does that beat bringing me into a chemist and asking for vaseline?? (true story)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Does that beat bringing me into a chemist and asking for vaseline?? (true story)

Half a true story I'd say...... Did the bath invite followed the trip to the chemist ;p

Haven't admitted it to myself just yet, but i reckon i'm out...

Fell of my bike and broke my shoulder in two places. 6 weeks recovery in a sling so no running until Jan by the looks of it.

Stupid luas tracks.

Fell of my bike and broke my shoulder in two places. 6 weeks recovery in a sling so no running until Jan by the looks of it.

Stupid luas tracks.

$hite, sorry to hear this. Sounds nasty enough, best of luck with the recovery

Stupid luas tracks.
    That sucks - sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement

It looks like the layout for this is changing....might mean a change of accommodation for some people if they want to be close to the start finish:

The brand new course of the race will be unveiled next week. Of course it will be totally flat (still the flattest marathon course in Europe!) And there will be a new start and finish line area. It will be a better course, even faster, and perfect for an awesome experience in the hearth of the city, especially the last kilometers, where spectators, family and friends will have an easy access to all the athletes and to the city center. Stay tuned for further info!

It looks like the layout for this is changing....might mean a change of accommodation for some people if they want to be close to the start finish:

Hi Goodtiming,

The start/finish area is currently a good bit out of town, but transport there and back is pretty good. I used the train myself from the main train station last year.

They made changes to the route last year also, only minor changes. I am guessing there might be similar small changes this year to facilitate less sharp or number of turns to make the course slightly faster. I cannot see the race not starting near and finishing in the Cartuja Stadium. But maybe there will be wholesale changes !!! :pac:

How is the recovery from Valencia going?

How is the recovery from Valencia going?

Mate! It's slow going :)

I'm suffering a bit from shin splints in the left leg and it's making me a bit wary of running on it.

Everything else is good....energy levels are back and no other pains so hopefully I'll be good to go in 10 weeks time ;)

Can you advise on whether it's ok to run on shin splints?
    I've only been out for 2 short runs so far, Hopefully a bit longer tomorrow.

Are you lining up another race yourself?

Mate! It's slow going :)

I'm suffering a bit from shin splints in the left leg and it's making me a bit wary of running on it.

Everything else is good....energy levels are back and no other pains so hopefully I'll be good to go in 10 weeks time ;)

Can you advise on whether it's ok to run on shin splints?
    I've only been out for 2 short runs so far, Hopefully a bit longer tomorrow.

Are you lining up another race yourself?

The Raheny 5 mile at the end of January is next on the radar. The legs are beginning to come back to life now, so I will ease back into it over the next week or two hopefully.

I can offer no medical advice on shin splints, don't think it's allowed on the forum ;). Maybe get it checked out with a physio/professional for peace of mind and advice. The body needs a good rest after marathon.

I can offer no medical advice on shin splints, don't think it's allowed on the forum ;). Maybe get it checked out with a physio/professional for peace of mind and advice. The body needs a good rest after marathon.

No worries....I completely understand....I've an appointment with the physio for next week so hopefully I'll be back to normal soon...

Just reading again about the layout and it seems the Olympic stadium is closed because of issues with the roof so it looks like a whole new finishing area...they're unveiling it tomorrow afternoon so we'll all be a bit wiser then.

No worries....I completely understand....I've an appointment with the physio for next week so hopefully I'll be back to normal soon...

Just reading again about the layout and it seems the Olympic stadium is closed because of issues with the roof so it looks like a whole new finishing area...they're unveiling it tomorrow afternoon so we'll all be a bit wiser then.

That's interesting, I wonder what it will be. I will keep an eye on twitter :)

http://www.zurichmaratonsevilla.es/zm2-recorrido

Completely new route. The start/finish area is in a more convenient area. It will be much better for any supporters that travel with you guys. The only tricky part I see will be kms 39-41 which will be ran through the old town with narrows streets. Unfortunately some of this area is tiled which looks pretty but not great for running on with tired legs. Also there is some light rail tracks to avoid (like the LUAS lines). The good news is that the support will be immense here and it is slightly downhill. It looks like a faster finish compared to the previous route.

Sling off and did 5k yesterday and 8 k today. Bit sore, but I'm beginning to think I may a chance to make the start line.

It wont be a PB or anything close, but might use it as a training run for a later marathon.

How's 'everyone' getting on?

After my shoulder injury, I'm back up to 24k slow jogs so will probably go over and enjoy a LSR. Real pity as I would have loved to be going over to try a PB

• Advertisement

How's 'everyone' getting on?

After my shoulder injury, I'm back up to 24k slow jogs so will probably go over and enjoy a LSR. Real pity as I would have loved to be going over to try a PB

Good to hear you're back at it, have you got your sights on another marathon afterwards?

Going well at this end, had a bit of a scare with a hamstring strain a few weeks back but I only ended up missing a few days really. Put in a lot of work over the last 10 days or so ( 21 with a steady finish, a steady 16 and an easy 18.5, some decent shorter sessions too). Body is hanging on in there, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being tired though, definitely feeling the workload*

Advertisement