Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I just ordered a car camera mount/charging cradle for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and plan to use that as a dashcam/charging station/GPS. Got it from eBay for less than €5.
    There are plenty of free/paid dashcam apps where you can select a multitude of options before recording. Plenty of videos on Youtube showing some good quality footage.

Anyone tried this yet?

I use the Galaxy S2 and the 'DailyRoadsVoyager' app.
    Really good.

The video quality is fine and it records in 1 minute segments into temp files. I think that mine records about 2 hrs before it starts overwriting itself. Saving files in a separate folder is simple - just a tap on the screen. In the event of an impact/sudden stop or bump it will automatically save the clip.

App and samples here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dailyroads.v&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

interested in getting one myself,

how easy is it to upload what you have recorded onto your computer,

how do you edit what you have recorded i.e so you dont have to watch 25mins of recordings to see 20seconds of a driving incident?

what im lookin for is one that can save footage easily so its not gonna get rewritten over and lost,and god forbid ever i have a crash it will be easy to save the footage there and then in the car and i dont have to worry about it loopin over itself after the memory is fully and losing the footage etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Tomebagel wrote: »
    interested in getting one myself,

how easy is it to upload what you have recorded onto your computer,

how do you edit what you have recorded i.e so you dont have to watch 25mins of recordings to see 20seconds of a driving incident?

what im lookin for is one that can save footage easily so its not gonna get rewritten over and lost,and god forbid ever i have a crash it will be easy to save the footage there and then in the car and i dont have to worry about it loopin over itself after the memory is fully and losing the footage etc...

It's easy to upload... just takes ages! Took me 45 mins to import onto computer and 250 mins to upload to youtube :( But only 45 mins to import! :D It can do 2 mins loops as well but I just set it to 5 for the craic...

I tried to cut it to 30 seconds but for some reason my Realplayer wouldn't allow me :( So the only way for me is by trimming it on youtube

Mine can take about 4 hours on its current setting. If I need to save something I would have to import onto my computer... not ideal but I haven't figured out how to save on the cam itself... to lazy to find out tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

PM sent!
    Replied. :)

Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Looking forward to mine. I assume there are more expensive cams that record your speed and the speed of the car in front?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Camera arrived but the mount is pretty tall and chunky so the camera is a bit in your face for the driver! How have people installed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Sully wrote: »
    Camera arrived but the mount is pretty tall and chunky so the camera is a bit in your face for the driver! How have people installed them?

I stuck mine in the top left corner. Taped the wire down the frame of the windscreen and over the glove compartment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Sully wrote: »

Mine fitted in behind the mirror, just about.

Mine fitted in behind the mirror, just about.

Iv an etag there so no use. The camera just seems to hang down a fair bit, if the holder was smaller it would be ideal!

Unregistered Users

Once again, very big thanks for randy hickey for hints and recommendations, dashcam purchased and tested.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdpOKMA-xrk
    Fixed temporarily - don't like self adhesive bracket supplied, so it will be suction cup mount fixed instead. Soon. ;)

• Advertisement

Not that keen on my dashcam. Seems to turn off randomly and turn on randomly when the car starts. I turned off the motion detect but it wasn't very good - driving on back roads and it would stop recording. Battery lasts around a half an hour. Suction cup is chunky.

Unregistered Users

Can you return it?

joujoujou wrote: »
    Can you return it?

They said the battery is supposed to last that long. I'm sure ill figure out the rest in due time - not sure why it auto-starts and the manual is crap but I just turn it on manually when driving and find its okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

joujoujou wrote: »
    Once again, very big thanks for randy hickey for hints and recommendations, dashcam purchased and tested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdpOKMA-xrk
    Fixed temporarily - don't like self adhesive bracket supplied, so it will be suction cup mount fixed instead. Soon. ;)

Nie ma za co, Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

I ordered a SmartCam2 from micksgarage.com on Saturday but they seem to have delivered a SmartCam which I believe only does 720p.

The order acknowledgement email described it as "SmartCam2 HD In-Car DVR Camera System. 1080p Full High Definition recording with Night Vision & high quality sound."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Any updates on this?
    The link from Randy Hickey above is no longer available. Any idea what model that was?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Randy and I both have the iTronics ITB100HD. I think the seller on Ebay had to stop selling them as they were below MSRP or something like that. Unfortunately the price of them seems to have shot up considerably since I bought mine but you may find a good price if you look hard. At the time of purchase, they were the best of the best. I don't know if anything better has come out since but I did see this one which seems to be pretty good quality for the price: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P-dfvPX0dOs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

do any have mac friendly sw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Lurching wrote: »
    Any updates on this?
    The link from Randy Hickey above is no longer available. Any idea what model that was?

Thanks.

Here you go;

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=itronics+itb-100+hd&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The reason the prices for these units has crept up is because Itronics have apparently clamped down on unauthorised sellers on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What purpose does GPS serve on this gadget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Amprodude wrote: »
    What purpose does GPS serve on this gadget?
    Speed, direction.
    You can see if you were rolling back or if someone crashed into the back of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Speed, direction.
    You can see if you were rolling back or if someone crashed into the back of you.
    I doubt that GPS is accurate enough for that.

I was thinking a smartphone would almost do the same function as this without the gps? I have another spare smartphone with 32gb sd card and video recording. Might serve me as my dashcam, il see, need to get a windscreen holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I was thinking a smartphone would almost do the same function as this without the gps? I have another spare smartphone with 32gb sd card and video recording. Might serve me as my dashcam, il see, need to get a windscreen holder.

Far better to get a stand alone model to be honest. Quality will be better.

My recommendation is the BlackVue models. Well worth the investment.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Far better to get a stand alone model to be honest. Quality will be better.

My recommendation is the BlackVue models. Well worth the investment.

The only downside to these dash cameras is they only capture whats in front of you. They dont get any other angles, i know it isnt possible but still. What happens if someone crashes into your back door?

Do people manually record with these every time they drive behind the wheel or do they auto record with motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The only downside to these dash cameras is they only capture whats in front of you. They dont get any other angles, i know it isnt possible but still. What happens if someone crashes into your back door?

Do people manually record with these every time they drive behind the wheel or do they auto record with motion?

You could install two, one front and rear facing. Bit overkill but not impossible. They auto record and loop so you don't have to delete manually.

Anyone know where I would get a dash cam in Dublin tomorrow?

I've racked my brain for ages trying to come up with a birthday pressie for my Dad, today I bought him a pellet gun, and no sooner had I gotten home from the shops did I think of a dash cam. I think he'd love one, and more importantly - use it!

His birthday is Monday though so short on time! Halfords don't seem to do them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are you near Swords?

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/hd-720p-dash-cam/2876720

(no connection to the seller, just spotted the ad)

I couldn't actually be further away from swords :p
    I don't mind taking a spin though, I'll suss this one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement